Horror Series - My Dog Speaks in my Sleep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story Horror Series - My Dog Speaks in my Sleep

Hey everyone! I've written a four-part horror series called 'My Dog Speaks in my Sleep', which you can find over on the subreddit NoSleep: My Dog Speaks in my Sleep [Part 1] : nosleep

The first three parts are up now, with the final one going up tomorrow. I'll post an update here when that happens. In the meantime, I'd love if people could have a look at the series and let me know what you think!

I also have my own subreddit, JRHEvilInc, which you can check out if you want to see a collection of my stories.

And finally, if any of you want to start posting your own writing, I sometimes put my work up on reddit.com/r/cryosleep/, which is a science fiction/horror kind of blend. (In fact, I got a pretty positive response to one of my old SciFiFur competition stories on there: reddit.com/r/cryosleep/comments/8cin2m/the_ships_log/)
    SliceOfDog's Signature
    My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Well, that was quite disturbing, especially when it gets somewhat mangled by my text-to-speech software. I'm not sure, but I get the sense that the dog was trying to help there.
    Daryn's Signature

Commander Daryn SkyStrike
    Ascenseon - The Avian Planet

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I listened to it with Daryn while I was driving today, he playing it in his reader for us.

And Daryn is right - that reader of his takes quite a bit out of text when it's reading it. But we understood it enough to get the gist of the story.

Over all, I'd say a good effort. There were a couple of points I think I missed though, and maybe could have done with a bit more explaining in the texts. I'll list them so we can discus them.
      1. Was the protagonist being stalked by a nightmare monster?
      2. Or was he having a psychotic break?
      3. If it was 1, was it maybe the same nightmare monster that led his father to commit suicide?
      4. Again, if 1 was the case, was the dog aware of the nightmare monster and it was why he responded to the protagonist where he hadn't to anyone else?
      5. Were the footprints an indicator of a psychotic break - the man was his own monster in his sleep?
      6. What did the different sizes of the footprints indicate, especially the one that was as big as the whole floor in the room?

Just some fun points of discussion. Over all, I found the story quite enjoyably chilling.
      Rick Canaan's Signature
      Captain Richard S. Canaan
      Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
        Well, that was quite disturbing, especially when it gets somewhat mangled by my text-to-speech software
        Hah, I'd imagine that would definitely affect the reception of the story! What on earth did it make of the first few instances of the dog speaking, when it's represented a jumbled phonetics?

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
        There were a couple of points I think I missed though, and maybe could have done with a bit more explaining in the texts. I'll list them so we can discus them.
        1. Was the protagonist being stalked by a nightmare monster?
        2. Or was he having a psychotic break?
        3. If it was 1, was it maybe the same nightmare monster that led his father to commit suicide?
        4. Again, if 1 was the case, was the dog aware of the nightmare monster and it was why he responded to the protagonist where he hadn't to anyone else?
        5. Were the footprints an indicator of a psychotic break - the man was his own monster in his sleep?
        6. What did the different sizes of the footprints indicate, especially the one that was as big as the whole floor in the room?
        Just some fun points of discussion. Over all, I found the story quite enjoyably chilling.
        Well I'm glad you found it chilling, that's certainly what I was going for! In terms of your questions, I think you've picked up on some very interesting ones. I'll address them below:

1 and 2 - This is intentionally unclear throughout the story. My big interest in horror fiction is the blurring of perception and reality. Once something has been identified and understood, it's no longer as scary. You find out the rules that a monster works within, you work out its weakness, and then you try to defeat it. No matter how terrifying the monster, it's not as scary as a vague threat that is completely unknown, and could appear anywhere at any time. So I like the lack of clarity regarding whether he was actually being stalked by a monster or if it was in his head.

3 - Frankly, that is the case in either instance. I was going for the idea that either the monster had stalked through his family, haunting them as it haunted him, or else the tendency towards the nightmares and insomnia was hereditary. The monster could even be symbolic of depressive tendencies.

4 - Again, the intention is that this was the case whether the monster was real or mental. I do tend a bit more towards Gus being able to sense the monster's presence and, as Daryn suggested, want to help defeat it. However, if it was something more like depression, the idea is that Gus picks up on small behavioural patterns - I've heard of certain dogs who are very good at identifying certain mental illnesses or people who are suffering.

5 - A wonderful interpretation. The footsteps are definitely indicative of the monster, and as with your third question, the footsteps transformed from his father's footprints into the monster shortly before his father committed suicide. The second lot of footprints (well... the third if we're being technical about it) began to transform as the protagonist became more... influenced by the monster.

6 - They essentially represent the level of emotional trauma being experienced at any given time. In my mind, the mother was also haunted by the monster - hers were the first set of footprints. Then the father. However, he didn't want to leave the son alone in the world, so that gave him the resolve to stand against the monster for much longer. The footprints get bigger and bigger as the monster tries harder and harder to overcome the father. Eventually, it was too much even for him. That's when the protagonist's prints start to transform, as he mourns his father. Again, this could be seen as the monster being real and biding its time until the victim is at their most mentally vulnerable, or else it could just be the battle against depression or mental illness.
        SliceOfDog's Signature
        My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Working...
        X