Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single word/theme short story competition! Discovery.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition Single word/theme short story competition! Discovery.

Though competition may be a bit much. Seeing as this is the first one in a while I want the stories to be put under this post before April 30th. Gives you a nice long time to create a single page minimum story about Discovery.
    What discovery? That's up to you! Single word writing prompts are very open to interpretation. In another post we can discuss the stories so be sure to give your story a title so that we can easily talk about it and give constructive criticism and ideas.

So, rules.

Has to be in some way about Discovery. Be that the word, a name or theme.
    Has to have a Title.
    Has to be roughly at least one page long which is about 300 words.
    Has to be posted before April 30th Midnight my time in this thread.
    Only one story per writer. If you come up with a better one, replace the previous one by editing the title as 'removed from contest' That way people can still enjoy it but know it is no longer in the running.

There is a prize! You get to choose one of these games! You need steam for them though.

Armello
    Aviary Attarny
    Pillars of Eternity
    Dark Souls III
    Owlboy
    Civ VI
    Tomb Raider reboot
    Sleeping Dogs Def edition

Have fun writing!
    Miqu's Signature
    Curio Valence Character Sheet

Curio Valance Backstory

Orbona, Doomed Orbital FAQ

Count me in! I'll have to give it some thought, but I'll make sure to get my entry in before my normal time of three days after the deadline... (after all, I'm not running this one, I don't get to give myself the ability to ignore the rules!)

I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

Comment

I think I'm out of this competition as I don't use Steam. It's even bigger pity that I can't ask for Xbox One games, since the redeem codes are pretty much region-locked. -3-

Comment

Ah, well don't let that put you off Lyon! (Is that a new name to go with your new-ish avatar btw?) I'm sure if you were keen to join we could discuss providing some other kind of prize. It might not be Xbox games (since we didn't buy these Steam games specifically to be prizes), but we may be able to work something out.

Comment

Since I don't run Steam (or any other video games for that matter) I'll let the runner up have the gift (assuming I get 1st place though, which is not likely).
          Rusakov's Signature
          "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Aww, that's very nice of you Rusakov! I look forward to your entry

Comment

I completely forgot about this! Uh-oh, better get to writing. I think.

SliceOfDog And yes, it's Lyon.

Comment

I've never tried my hand at one of these, so I figured I'd give this one a go.
                Dark of the Light

The winds bore me through the afternoon sky. I glided over and around the peaks, enjoying the coolness of the rushing air blending with the warmth of the sun. It was an altogether pleasant feeling, one which I was fond of experiencing every chance I could.

As I flew, I felt... something. It was like a slight tugging on my mind. It was gentle, yet insistent. Whatever it was, it wanted me to change direction. I banked slightly to the right and flew onward for roughly twenty minutes. My destination came into view then, ahead and below me. It was the entrance to a cavern.

I flew downwards, back-winged and then landed softly on the rock floor. The cave was dark, and I had no light on me, but the insistent tugging was coming from there. Curiosity won out and I made my way inside. I did not have to go far into the cave to find its occupant. It was a dragon. The light streaming in from the outside gave the cavern an eerie feel, but that light seemed to shy away from that creature’s scales. It was like looking at an abyss of darkness surrounded by grey, dim light.

The one striking feature of the beast was that red, swirling eye that fixed on me. At that moment, things changed. No words were spoken, only senses, emotions, and needs. He needed a ‘Rider’, he searched for someone who could sense his call. It turned out I was that bird. I was the one who would help him recover his strength. With an unspoken agreement, I made my way towards the enormous black void. I was enfolded in darkness, but there was no malice there, only warmth, kindness and need. When the darkness lifted, I stood in a much larger cavern. I heard and felt the dragon’s voice reverberate through the cavern. A loud, pure, joyous note. Then, the cavern began to glow. The light radiating out from each crystalline facet. I was not looking at a creature of darkness. The light played over his scales, reflecting back in a kaleidoscope of colours. It was and remains the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

What I felt that day of discovery was unlike anything I have ever felt. It was the perfect meshing of two spirits. One who needed a companion, and the other who didn’t even know he needed such a companion. Things changed for me that day. That was the day I met Cortez, the Abraxian.
                Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Wonderful stuff, Daryn! Lovely to see an entry from you

I was hoping to have mine finished today, but it's taking longer than I'd hoped. I'm 1,500 words in. Possibly bit off more than I could chew with the concept I went with. I don't know if Miqu will be willing to extend the deadline a little bit, but if not I'll just post what I've got so far.

Also, Rusakov , Lyon , don't suppose you guys have managed to get any stories done for this?

Comment

I second that, I had some hardware and wetware problems and could not paricipate. A few days, longer would at least let me try writing something. (I was a bit rubish at writing lately, so I do not have high hopes, but who knows?)
                    Terrapun's Signature
                    "A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it."
                    Stanisław Lem "The Futurological Congress"

"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
                    xkcd

Comment

I again forgot about the competition, oh well. But then I had a pretty much busy time and lack of any ideas in regard to all stuff all around. Basically if I went with free time - I did RP or just relaxed in ED's cockpit. I'll be honest about it. Plus, SciFiFur isn't really a busy place, so lots of stuff in here gets omnitted/forgotten by me.

P.S. Unless I scribble something up tomorrow (well, today since it hit Midnight in here).

Comment

Seeing as it is now two days past the due date I'd say we have a default winner no? But there's no reason not to just write in some stories just for fun!
                        Miqu's Signature

Curio Valance Backstory

Comment

Well that was certainly unexpected. Not that I can complain, though. There are two games with birds in them. I think I'd like Owlboy, though.
                          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Yeah, didn't happen to put anything in. Oh well, at least the bird has the bird game. XP

Comment

A quick and dirty one from me. I didn't write one until after the due date because I've been trying to spend more time away from the computer.

Destiny and Doughnuts

They thought that only microbes had evolved before Mars became a cold Hell. Boy were they wrong.

You could say it all started with the "jelly doughnut" Curiosity had found way back in the 2010's; we didn't recognize it for what it was though. Later we discovered methane in the Martian atmosphere. It can be a biosignature, but it could also be geological in origin. We went with the later.

It was only until human exploration and colonization began in earnest starting in the 2040's that we started noticing strange things. Near the habitats some people notices stones had moved in the night, with no bootprints or any other sign of humans out there previously. It was only when we set up filming equipment that we discovered the incredible truth.

You've probably heard the rest of it before. The "jelly doughnuts" were artifacts -or maybe the Martians themselves- moving them around. It was life, but definitely not as we knew it. It was finely machined and optimized nanotechnology, utilizing chemistry based on an iron pentacarbonyl solvent. Makes sense, lots of iron on Mars and Fe-pentacarbonyl is liquid even at room temperature.

But it was what these artifacts/cybernetic Martians told us that was truly frightening.

They were an advanced civilization but somehow they had collapsed. It happened a long time ago (the end of the Noachian, 3.7 billion years ago at the latest) and information that old gets corrupted or turned into such fantastic folklore as to be nigh impossible to know.

But as I sit here in a fancy Martian bakery I fear that the same could happen to our far less advanced civilization as well, and sooner than we might imagine.

At any rate, my order has arrived along with a tall glass of chocolate milk. For now I'll just put the frightening possibility out of my mind for a while and enjoy the jelly doughnuts I've ordered.
                              Last edited by Rusakov; 05-02-2018, 03:01 PM. Reason: Added reason why I turned this in late.
                              Rusakov's Signature
                              "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Originally posted by Miqu View Post
                                But there's no reason not to just write in some stories just for fun!
                                Great point, Miqu! I'm sorry I missed the deadline, but I'll post my story up here once I've finished it

And Rusakov, an interesting story you've got there! Certainly a curious concept. Also, I definitely agree with the attempts to spend more time away from the computer - I've been attempting it myself, too, although not sure how successfully so far!

Comment

I thought I was going to be able to try one, too. But god, it was like work knew I wanted to take the time to do something extra special and conspired to keep me from it. Apart from all of the freight I've been hit with lately, which has been a lot, they decided I needed a new truck to move into, too.

Got a brand new Freightliner Cascadia out of the deal, but unf... if you've ever moved house, then think of how that is. Maybe there isn't as much stuff you have to move, because it is only moving from one truck into another one, after all, but by the time you get all your clothes moved, all your stuff and everything else, it can be a real chore. Because for one, after you've gotten everything moved over, you have to set up all your stuff to work in the new truck. Different dash, different places to plug stuff into. It all takes well more than a day, and days after that just to get everything right - GPS units mounted on a new dash just right, where your cell phone is going to go.

It's... well, it's a lot more complicated than it sounds, trust me.

So, sorry, Miqu. Maybe next time around.
                                  Rick Canaan's Signature
                                  A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
                                    And Rusakov, an interesting story you've got there! Certainly a curious concept. Also, I definitely agree with the attempts to spend more time away from the computer - I've been attempting it myself, too, although not sure how successfully so far!
                                    Thanks! Civilizational collapse and how it might relate to the Fermi paradox is a bit of a morbid curiosity for me.

I was doing well for a few days regarding spending time away from the computer, slacked off now though. x_x
                                    Rusakov's Signature

Comment

It is all alright. It is still fun to read them even if they come in late. Perhaps next time the gods who control work life will be more lenient to all.
                                      Miqu's Signature

Curio Valance Backstory

Comment

Working...
                                      X