Poor iPod...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor iPod...

This is my attempt at recreating a video I saw a long time ago which no longer seems to exist.

Only time...

I was waiting for a piece of that iPod to shoot up through the plastic lid of the blender.

So I could laugh my backside off.

'Yep. That's what you get for playing with high speed shrapnel there, buddy'.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Oh that's kind of this guy's thing. He was really popular for a while, but I think it's kind of faded off.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
        Oh that's kind of this guy's thing. He was really popular for a while, but I think it's kind of faded off.
        Yes. It's astonishing how the Internet makes every event seem three times farther in the past than they actually are.

Comment

I remember that there were some guys crushing stuff with a steam roller at some point, too. Haven't seen anything from them in a while, either.

I think the big thing now, is something like the Slow Mo Guys. These guys are doing pretty much what all these other guys were and are, but they're filming it with way high speed cameras.

Hehe, anybody care to have a guess about what the next fad might be?
          Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Well, we've already got people eating Tide Pods, so your guess is as good as mine.
            Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Eating Tide Pods?!

Like, geesh, I've heard of the benefits of keeping one's digestive tract clean, but that's taking it a bit to extremes!

Lord. Tide Pods. I don't think I can even begin to think of anything more disgusting to put in one's mouth! Like most all kids who had strict parents, I've had my mouth washed out with soap, and that was just pure foul! But Tide is detergent! Instead of being fat-based, like soap, most laundry detergents are petroleum based, which means it's about ten times as strong as soap! On top of that, a detergent like Tide uses particularly strong alkalies. If that emulsion of petroleum and alkali didn't outright burn one's mouth and for that matter, the whole digestive tract, a person would no doubt be tasting and feeling it for days after they ingested it!

Like, god! What could these people be thinking? Are they insane? They'd just about have to be!

Tide Pods!

Not just for laundry anymore! Now they're for YouTube nutters, too!

Oh and:

However, I just did some research on this. I learned that eating Tide Pods, or for that matter, any laundry detergent in concentrated 'Pod' form, is extremely hazardous. Laundry detergent contains especially concentrated surfactants, these concentrations increasing significantly when the detergent is concentrated, such as in 'Pod' form.

When these concentrated surfactants enter the mouth, they immediately begin destroying soft tissues within the mouth. This causes immediate swelling of the cheeks, tongue, gums and lips. If the detergent is swallowed, it can cause severe swelling of the throat, which can in turn cause severe breathing problems. If inhaled, they can quickly begin destroying mucous membranes in the lungs. This can quickly lead to death by asphyxiation.

If these surfactants are swallowed, they can cause a whole host of gastric problems, not the least of which is severe ulceration of the esophagus. If that happens, immediate death is a real risk.

Other risks include severe bleeding into the intestinal tract, caused by severe gastric ulcers. Even if these do not occur, permanent dementia has been reported in some victims of this practice.

In short, eating Tide Pods is extremely dangerous. Do not attempt it. Those who do, risk nearly immediate death. Survivors are likely to suffer permanent impairment.

This to any of our younger members. I made light of the practice, finding it hilariously absurd. After reading on the hazards of it, however, I cannot stress enough how hazardous this practice is.

So yeah. Serious business. Attempting it could end your life.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I... have few words.

Just... how stupid can you be? Warning labels exist for a reason (yes, sometimes dumb ones - "Product will be hot after heating", for example - but valid reasons).

And they go eat something clearly marked "Do not ingest".

These people should be given Darwin Awards.
                Arratra's Signature
                Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
                  I... have few words.

Just... how stupid can you be? Warning labels exist for a reason (yes, sometimes dumb ones - "Product will be hot after heating", for example - but valid reasons).

And they go eat something clearly marked "Do not ingest".

These people should be given Darwin Awards.
                  According to more than one video I found on the subject, it boils down to 'fame'. Young people are starved for it, thinking it the quickest and best way to become recognized. So much so, they're willing to do most anything for it. Including stuff that is incredibly self destructive.

But ask me, I just see it as the newest 'Stupid' fad. Back not too many years ago, it was huffing butane. Some years before that, it was sniffing glue. Human beings can be inordinately stupid at young ages. Some of them so much so, that they're willing and often eager to do something clearly stupid if they think they'll gain recognition for doing it. And now we have social media, which I think, can only serve to exacerbate this problem of 'Stupid'.
                  Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Say what you will about the Blendtec vids, at least the host doesn't breathe in the fumes.

Also I think he uses safety glasses on the more dangerous ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
                      Say what you will about the Blendtec vids, at least the host doesn't breathe in the fumes.

Also I think he uses safety glasses on the more dangerous ones.
                      Oh I'd say what this guy was doing was harmless enough. Ummm, that is unless you count the lithium-ion battery in the iPod...

But seriously, stuff like this is mostly just harmless stunts for laughs. It engendered a whole new conversation, though - one which I think is very interesting. Stuff like this, I think, is indicative of the human craving for attention. It shows everybody loves to be center-stage. But then there are guys like this, who do just fun stuff, and then the idiots that do dangerous and self-destructive stuff for attention. People love attention, and for better or worse, they're often willing to do most anything for it.
                      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                        Oh I'd say what this guy was doing was harmless enough. Ummm, that is unless you count the lithium-ion battery in the iPod...

But seriously, stuff like this is mostly just harmless stunts for laughs. It engendered a whole new conversation, though - one which I think is very interesting. Stuff like this, I think, is indicative of the human craving for attention. It shows everybody loves to be center-stage. But then there are guys like this, who do just fun stuff, and then the idiots that do dangerous and self-destructive stuff for attention. People love attention, and for better or worse, they're often willing to do most anything for it.
                        This BlendTech guy started it as a way of advertising his blenders. If it can blend this, then it can make you a smoothie, sort of thing. It caught on, though, and he rolled with it.

I think a lot of these things start harmless enough. When they stay that way, it's great fun. But sometimes, people do things with malicious intent. I don't think the Tide Pod thing was malicious, but it certainly wasn't good. Downrigt dangerous, as you said.

Oh, and Rusakov I just want to mention that the video you were trying to recreate, fairly successfully, I might add, was one of a series of mashups of the same type. I think the original creator ended up pulling them for music copyright reasons.

This thread has given me an idea, though ...
                        Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                          Of course. Not sure about the battery though, maybe it was removed before blending it?

Daryn yeah that would make sense. Quite a copyright purge was going on at YouTube back in those days.

And good luck with whatever idea it is that you have!

Comment

Working...
                          X