Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staff Announcement Back On Board

Hiyas, everyone,

Some of you may be aware that I went on sabbatical from the forums for a while. My reasons were that I had become involved in a pretty big game project. I worked on it pretty much non-stop for about four months. I've decided to put that on hold for a while and get back into my community interactions stuff. Maybe a bit of burnout on the project, along with a combination of an equivalent to writer's block. Either or both, take your pick, but I just felt the need to step away from it for a while.

I tend to kind of do that. I'll get involved, hot and heavy in a project, often to the point of getting burnout on it. Just part of my nature, I think. It's the way I've always been. But I digress. Only to say that I am back and wishing to rejoin our community.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Also, I see that you're running a roleplay, Arratra. I hope that is going well for you guys. I may at some point here in the near future, start up another. If anyone has any ideas in that regard, feel free to hit me up. I love to write imaginatively. And running a roleplay permits that on a scale I can really sink my teeth into.

Either way, I'm back. Back in the saddle, too - I'll be retaking up the responsibilities of Director again. I doubt I'll be making any changes to the forums, though. Well, for one, I put tons of work into what we have now, and see no need to add to it or alter it. Also, I kind of need a break from creative work in that regard, anyway. Yeah, the game project was way intensive. I just want to be part of our community again, not to try to see what I can change. So yeah, graphically wise, expect things to pretty much remain as they are on the forums.

I'm looking forward to being part of the forums again. It has been a bit of a while and I'm looking forward to it.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Hey, welcome back, man!

I'm glad to have you back. I really missed you around here.

Nothing has exploded though, so, at least there's that.

We'll get back to TTT eventually, but maybe a break and a rethink on it to figure ou how you want to proceed is a good idea. It's never good to try to force things like that.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Welcome back, great to see you around again Rick!

Though you may be burnt out now, I hope the work on the game project was enjoyable/rewarding? Did it go as expected?

Perfectly understandable you taking a step back from it though - it sounds like a big undertaking, and as you say, it's only natural to want a break every now and again.

How have things been generally?

Comment

Oh, and as for starting another RP, what about returing to The Virus? Is that a possibility?
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
          Welcome back, great to see you around again Rick!

Though you may be burnt out now, I hope the work on the game project was enjoyable/rewarding? Did it go as expected?

Perfectly understandable you taking a step back from it though - it sounds like a big undertaking, and as you say, it's only natural to want a break every now and again.

How have things been generally?
          Thanks, Slice.

As to the project, we made great leaps with it. Daryn's learned a lot of ins and outs of coding in the port we were planning to use, and I got to really let go creatively, because of what he learned. The trouble was/is, I ran into a wall creatively, because of the scope of the project I was attempting. It all just became too much for me to cope with for a while, especially with work demanding time of me. So yeah, a rethink and perhaps a new strategy is what is needed.

But I did that once before. There was another project I was working on that I stepped away from for a while. But I eventually came back to it, with a new focus, and it turned out pretty spectacularly. So yeah, a good regroup is often the best thing to do.

As for everything else, I'm doing alright. Still working pretty steadily and still have my health. Don't think there's much more a guy could ask for. I am starting to grow fairly old, though. That puts a cramp in a few things, I'll tell ya. But not much to be done about that but live with it. I do, pretty well, and lead a pretty happy life despite the clock's refusal to stop turning. So over all, I think I do alright.

As to the Virus roleplay, Daryn, if you guys wanted to revisit it, I think I could be game. I'll need to go back and do some reading of some of our posts, though. It's been so long that I don't remember where we left off! So a bit of catch-up work is in order! But sure, if you guys want it, I could pick that up again, sure.
          Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Hey, Rick! Glad to see you again.
            Arratra's Signature
            Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
              Hey, Rick! Glad to see you again.
              Thanks, Arratra. It's good to be back.

Also, as Daryn suggested, would you perhaps be interested in rejoining the Virus roleplay, if we started it back up again?

Same question to you, Slice. There wouldn't be a lot of point in starting it again, unless you guys wanted to.

If not, that's fine. I just may look at starting something else at some point in the future.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Sure, I'm game.
                Arratra's Signature
                Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Alright.

Also, I spoke with ChaosComm last night. He's onboard, too.

That leaves only you, Slice. Would you like to continue the roleplay, too?
                  Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                    As to the project, we made great leaps with it. Daryn's learned a lot of ins and outs of coding in the port we were planning to use, and I got to really let go creatively, because of what he learned. The trouble was/is, I ran into a wall creatively, because of the scope of the project I was attempting. It all just became too much for me to cope with for a while, especially with work demanding time of me. So yeah, a rethink and perhaps a new strategy is what is needed.

But I did that once before. There was another project I was working on that I stepped away from for a while. But I eventually came back to it, with a new focus, and it turned out pretty spectacularly. So yeah, a good regroup is often the best thing to do.

As for everything else, I'm doing alright. Still working pretty steadily and still have my health. Don't think there's much more a guy could ask for. I am starting to grow fairly old, though. That puts a cramp in a few things, I'll tell ya. But not much to be done about that but live with it. I do, pretty well, and lead a pretty happy life despite the clock's refusal to stop turning. So over all, I think I do alright.

As to the Virus roleplay, Daryn, if you guys wanted to revisit it, I think I could be game. I'll need to go back and do some reading of some of our posts, though. It's been so long that I don't remember where we left off! So a bit of catch-up work is in order! But sure, if you guys want it, I could pick that up again, sure.
                    I'm glad the project is going well! Yeah, you're definitely right that sometimes you just need a bit of creative headspace. Leave it aside for a while and go back fresh.

As for the passage of time, I think you've got the right outlook! All we can do is make the most of what we're given.

In terms of the Virus, I'm afraid I can't give it the time it'd deserve. However, I'm more than happy for you (or another player if they were at all interested) taking control of my character in order to keep things running. I wouldn't want to stand in the way of the rest of you continuing to enjoy the RP!

Comment

*Pokes head in cartoonishly* Did someone say body horror?

Comment

Hmm. That kind of sticks me with a conundrum. What do I do with, or how do I deal with Slice's character? Slice played him in such a way that I don't think I could play myself. It is simply beyond my ability. That leaves me with only a couple of options. One would be to have one of the other players play him, or for me to eliminate the character.

Which, if the latter option is decided upon, is killing the character.

Any ideas from anyone?
                        Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Obviously it's not for me to dictate what you do with him, since I'm the one bowing out and all, but I do want to stress that I am comfortable with him being killed off if that's the best option for everyone. He's a fun character and I did really enjoy playing him, but I knew what I was getting into in bringing a relatively incompetent character into a post-apoc hellscape XD

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
                            Obviously it's not for me to dictate what you do with him, since I'm the one bowing out and all, but I do want to stress that I am comfortable with him being killed off if that's the best option for everyone. He's a fun character and I did really enjoy playing him, but I knew what I was getting into in bringing a relatively incompetent character into a post-apoc hellscape XD
                            I appreciate you feel that way, Slice. I just wish I had the ability to play him. I just can't relate to a character who lacks utterly in confidence in himself.

I suppose what I could do, in the end, is just have the character disappear. Maybe that night after the confrontation with Ember, he left and tried to sneak back to Subtropolis. Only he would know. But that would also possibly open a can of worms. Since everybody would know Ember didn't like him, would the wolf suddenly become suspected of taking the poor pooch out in the middle of the night and quietly doing him in? Oi. That would be a side-track plot to work out for sure!
                            Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

With the way the story was going, it was likely Mickey would have eventually built that confidence. That was something Geoff was actively pursuing. So, that's not an option now.

It's also totally appropriate for a brief break in canon to just have him fade out. Or, just kind of remain hanging out at Geoff's place serving as your drone eyes.

He wouldn't have to do much more than give out what he sees in that case.

Just some possibilities to mull over.
                              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Mickey fading into the background because he's in a support role makes a level of sense. Him running off... not quite as much, given his development, though a lapse is entirely possible.
                                Arratra's Signature
                                Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

I think I've got an idea where to go. I'll be doing as Daryn suggests. He'll remain behind and monitor the team with drones, calling out states-of-play to them over radio. Then once back to Subtropolis, provided the party survives of course (), he'll just fade into the background as part of the general community.
                                  Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Sounds like a great compromise! I wasn't lying when I said I'd have been fine with him having been killed off (which remains the case if there's a change of plans) but I am quite pleased that this is the plan people were most happy with. I hope he remains an asset to the RP! I'll be looking into it to catch up as a reader as and when I have the time!

Comment

Working...
                                    X