Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well...I'm officially a Brandon Sanderson fan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...I'm officially a Brandon Sanderson fan.

After having read the first Mistborn novel, his debut novel Elantris and now going through his first massive tome of his 10-part Stormlight Archives saga, I've come to the conclusion that Brandon Sanderson is indeed the greatest living high fantasy author in America.

I'm serious. His punchy writing, his ingenious world building, his even MORE ingenious magic systems, and his willingness to subvert (if not outright ignore) the standard high fantasy tropes. This ingenious author is....well, a genius!

And the best part is this: I recently learned that, with the exception of his novels for YAs and his tie-in work, ALL of his novels take place in a shared universe called 'The Cosmere'. Apparently all of the various novels take place on individual planets in a vast solar system of his own creation, and that certain characters and concepts cross over from saga to saga. He apparently even plans on writing a future Mistborn trilogy that will be an Allomancy space opera that will provide for some delicious cross-over.
    Adonisus's Signature
    Co-host and Stuttering Hayseed of The Day 0 Update at Smashpad.com

"History repeats itself. First time as tragedy, second time as farce." - Marx

Re: Well...I'm officially a Brandon Sanderson fan.

Welcome to the fold. I've been pimping his work on these forums ever since we opened, but nobody really paid a lot of attention. I recently just read his YA Novel The RIthmatist, and believe it or not, it was really good. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Once you get done with the Mistborn Trilogy, go on to The Alloy Of Law. I have a feeling you'll love that one too. It's set after the events of the trilogy, so it's all new characters.

And you have NO idea how stoked I am for March when Words Of Radiance comes out! In the meantime, Steelheart comes out in a couple weeks, and I've got an Audible credit waiting for it!

Again, glad you discovered him. It's hard to turn back now.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Before I read the next Mistborn book, I've been thinking of picking up Warbreaker after I finish The Way of Kings. Have you read that one yet?
      Adonisus's Signature
      Co-host and Stuttering Hayseed of The Day 0 Update at Smashpad.com

"History repeats itself. First time as tragedy, second time as farce." - Marx

Comment

Yeah, I have. You can put that one off for a while, it's not as good as his other books. The whole "Magic By Removing Color From Things" is a system that just felt way too out there to me. For example, there's one point where the main character draws power from a Black Stone roof. Wouldn't black be the lack of all color? It's just a really weird book. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not up there with his other stuff.
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Adonisus, if you haven't picked up Steelheart yet, do so. Sanderson + Post-apoc + Dark Superheroes. I don't need to say more.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X