RIP Jerry Pournelle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Jerry Pournelle

Sad to say that a pioneer in the sci-fi genre has passed away. He will be missed.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/rip-jerry-pou...utu-1803143871
    Daryn's Signature

Boy. This thread has gotten a lot of attention, hasn't it?

Can't say as I knew, though. I never kept up much with this author. I read only about half of his books. Err, that is to say I read about half of some of his books. Err, yeah. I'd get about halfway through them and had to put them down. Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer especially. I don't know what happened when he and Larry Niven got together, but the two of them working together could barely write their ways out of a paper bag! But Larry Niven alone...! Ringworld and the Kzinti Wars books were all superb. I sucked everyone one of these down so fast I nearly set the pages on fire, I was turning them so fast!

I never read any of Jerry Pournelle's stand-alone books. (Did he even write any of his own? idk...) Maybe he was a great author, just not to my tastes. I just never found him remarkable as a writer, finding most of the books he wrote with Niven to be long, boring slogs.

Anyway, not one to be disrespectful of the dead, RIP Jerry Pournelle. Gotta admire anybody who endeavors to leave their mark on the world!
    Taun's Signature
    I am NOT the one who put hoofprints on grandma's forehead! So leave OFF already! K? Thanks!

Comment

I know him mostly for his Chaos Manor columns. They were about how people use technology. Sort of like looking at it from a normal person's point-of-view and seeing why so much of it is so confounding. They're still on his website, so it may be worth reading some of them. As to the books themselves, I need to get around to listening to some of them. Maybe they won't be for me, bu I feel like I should at least give them a try.
      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Hmmm! Chaos Manor columns! I'll have to go give those a checking out! Thanks, Mr. Falcon!
        Taun's Signature
        I am NOT the one who put hoofprints on grandma's forehead! So leave OFF already! K? Thanks!

Comment

Not a problem. I'm always happy to help broaden someone's scifi pallet.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X