Drawing... where to start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing... where to start?

So I don't think I'll focus on programming right now (I'm beginning to think it's just not my thing) so I want to learn how to draw better.

Problem is there's so much out there in the form of practice strategies and what not that I'm not sure where to start.

I really need to start at the basics but my goal is to do a fictional comic cover, so anatomy would come after that. Does anyone have any techniques or sources of learning they suggest for either or both? :3
    Rusakov's Signature
    This fight will be your death!

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
    So I don't think I'll focus on programming right now (I'm beginning to think it's just not my thing) so I want to learn how to draw better.

Problem is there's so much out there in the form of practice strategies and what not that I'm not sure where to start.

I really need to start at the basics but my goal is to do a fictional comic cover, so anatomy would come after that. Does anyone have any techniques or sources of learning they suggest for either or both? :3
    I'd like to help, but I can only draw flies.

And that wasn't just a horse joke.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
    Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Well, I'm no artist, but I am great at finding things. I think that this might be a good resource for you.
      Daryn's Signature

Comment

I'm afraid I can't direct you to anywhere or anything specific, but I can give a piece of advice which is true across all forms of the creative arts: The best way to improve is to do it lots. Just keep drawing, keep making mistakes, keep learning from those mistakes, and carry on drawing.

When I was into drawing, I never did any formal studying or genuine practice - I just drew a lot in a lot of different styles. I won't fool myself into thinking I was any good, but I do have to concede that there was a rather large improvement over the three years that I was most active. I mean, judge for yourself:

From 2007:
        867559@400-1193581786.jpg

From 2010:
        1272847734.sliceofdog_for_kira.png
        rp_character___mickey_by_sliceofdog.png
        SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

As someone who went to art school and has made many mistakes when learning to draw... here is how you learn.

Life drawings...

Yes, really. No matter what you want to draw, even if it is surreal art, you want to take a sketch pad and draw from real life. There are sites that have nude or dressed poses that you can sketch or just go out and draw the surrounding buildings.
          It is boring and at times aggravating but it really is the base skill that will (later) make a differance between ok art (like mine) and great art! Sadly I was stubborn and went 'I shall follow these wonderful books instead and I will learn anatomy and such later!' aaaaand... now it's kinda hard to unlearn what I can and learn what I can't.

Also, and this is harder, don't make motivation your driving force. Instead draw with a schedule, every single day. And avoid 'building' drawings, specially people, to start with. Once you start getting a hang of how things SHOULD look you can divide them into blocks and shapes without them looking blocky in the end. Motion lines will also help with this.

Since yer probably going to want to draw furries (just a wild guess) drawing animals from real life is a great idea. There are some 'how to sketch' books that are way better than any manga or comic book teaching book since it teaches you about how to draw eyes and such by making small places darker.

This is getting a lil long but 2 years of school and 12 years of drawing doesn't fit easily in one line! Speaking of eyes, that's the reason you should start with still life and (nude) people. Your mind and eyes do not agree of what makes up something and you have to learn to draw by seeing and replacing what your mind thinks makes up a drawing.

I sincerely wish you lots of luck with this and that you don't make the mistakes I did (like go to art school... whilst suffering from failure fear and anxiety) and that soon we'll get to see your progress!
          Miqu's Signature
          Curio Valence Character Sheet

Orbona, Doomed Orbital FAQ

Comment

Thanks all! ^^
            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

I usually watch peoples streams cuz then you get to see how people draw from start to finish. Usually I start by drawing a kinda line skeleton with some circles just to figure out the pose and such, and help keep things constrained.

I've put the source file of one of the pictures I drew (one I'm most happy with of everything I've done so far) on Google Drive, you might need Krita to open it (Krita is free and works on every platform; I think it's pretty good so I use it for my drawings https://krita.org/en/). Feel free to go through it, the sketches and skeleton pose thingy should all be in there (might be hidden under the background layer though so you may have to disable a bunch of layers to see them, since I move things around a lot; also some duplicate layers I keep just in case I mess something up).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xn6...ew?usp=sharing

Also, make sure you experiment a lot. Experimentation is how you get better at drawing (like, trying new things).
              Zukaro's Signature
              Zukaro Travon
              Robotic Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Zukaro View Post
                *snip*
                Thanks buddy! ^^
                Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
                X