Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Internet Mea Culpa

Medium

Last night, as I was falling asleep after a lovely Christmas, a thought popped into my head. I was thinking how lovely the holiday had been, and part of that was because I’d not been on the internet most of the day. Furthermore, most people hadn’t been on the internet all day. And it really made for a better day. I had recently lost an eBay auction on a copy of The Whole Earth Catalog — I’ve been thinking about how influential it was, and realized copies were still relatively affordable and it’d be fun to add a few issues to my old magazines collection.

These two lines of thinking merged together, and I wondered something to myself. And as I was going to sleep at the new-parent hour of 8:30 PM, I tweeted that thought:

[OP: SNIP Twitter stuff]

Alexis is like me. He realized he was wrong about this, and has been doing great work to fix it. And it’s been working. Did Alexis ever say “sorry I was wrong?” I don’t know. But I didn’t. So here I am.

For the last twenty years, I believed the internet prophets of old. I worshipped at the altar of Stewart Brand and Kevin Kelly. I believed that the world would be a better place if everyone had a voice. I believed that the world would be a better place if we all had no secrets.

But so far, the evidence points to an escapable conclusion: we were all wrong.
    Rusakov's Signature
    This fight will be your death!

I think what's starting to happen is that people are starting to realize that things have gone too far in one direction. The internet has brought a lot of good to the world, but also a lot of bad things as well. Without it, we wouldn't be talking about this at all. There's a balance to be struck, and for everyone that point is different. Do we need to fix what's wrong? Yes. Is throwing it out the answer? Nope.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
    X