MASTER! MASTER!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MASTER! MASTER!

Great news denizens of SciFiFurs - your birdy Emperor of Couch has had his Master's paper accepted. Thesis defence at July 12th.

Hey congratulations, Alienbird! What was your Master's thesis about, if I may ask?
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

It is: Culture of Rememberance of Roma Minority in Context of the Historical Events and Contemporary Problems, so basically a thesis about the "Gypsy" minority in Poland and in Europe.

Comment

Ooh, sounds interesting! Care to give us a brief of it?

Comment

In short, the thesis is about the historical and contemporary problems of the Roma (as it is more politically correct term due to quite negative associations with word "Gypsies" and has NO association with Ancient Rome, pure coincidence as original word is either Rroma or Rhoma meaning "man, men, the people").It's mostly about the modern attitude on basis of the past events, which quite mirror how very underpowered was the minority - especially after World War II - due to them being closed groups (even to each other) rather than a single unified nation (what changed around 1970s).

It is actually shocking how little known is Porajmos - the "Roma Holocaust" - as opposed to genocide of all other nationalities commited by Nazi Germans (at times "Gypsies" were treated even worse than Jews - now think about it how low Roma and Sinti were perceived taking into account who was the main "enemy" to Nazi ideology). Their severly low number in Europe (in Poland alone the Roma could be fit in a single 20.000 inhabitants city) also influenced their current position, along with plentiful of restrictions imposed through centuries.

The modern problems mostly are something I described in a beautiful way: the tyranny of "democratic" societies that see little acceptation to anyone who dare to stray away from the boundaries set by themselves. I also pointed out at the fact that globalization creates a wholly new problem, as less powerful cultures either have to submit to the dominant macrocultures - or be swept from the board and forgotten.

Comment

Ah, fascinating area of research! It's something I'm aware of, but should probably know more about.

This may seem a bit random, but the oppression of the Roma people by the Nazis becomes a significant plot-point of one of my favourite TV shows, Utopia. Unfortunately, I can't find the specific scene where the Roma scientist discusses his 'humane' response to the necessity of human culling, but this is a slightly more light-hearted scene where they first try to communicate with that character. Warning, pretty strong language:

Comment

I'm defending my thesis in around 30 hours. I feel excited and nervous at the same time.

Comment

Be sure to drink heavily before you do. That will make things easier.

NOTE: Do not listen to the crazy bird.

In all seriousness though, good luck to you! I hope it goes well. You can drink heavily afterwards!
                Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I'm Master in Political Studies now, with score 5.0 out of 5.0 total. One copy of my thesis paper is going to the Polish Roma Union.

This day couldn't really get any better.

Comment

Congratulations! You've earned it. It could get a little better, there could be beer?
                    Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                    X