Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Express Something Positive

Hi, everyone.

This is an idea I got from a YouTube video, and I thought it might be one that would work here. With what I think will have some possibly far-reaching and positive results.

The idea is this:

Pick two people on the forum and write something you think is positive or about something you like about them. Don't do it publicly, though. Instead, PM it to me. What I'll do then, is make a public list of what was said and about whom, but without who said it about them.

The deadline for getting me the PMs will be the last day of this month. Up to a week later, I'll have what was said compiled and posted for all to see.

I thought this a very good idea. In the video, the teacher who did this with her students, discovered some 15 years later, that many of her students still had their lists, many of them having them folded in their wallets, a few having framed them and placed them in honored places on their walls. The impact it had on her students couldn't be overstated. It was something that had such a positive effect in their lives that it effected them for many years after. So let's try that here. Think of two people, write something nice about them and fix up your PM and get them sent. Let's see what kind of a positive effect it might have here.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Actually, you know what? I'm going to change this up a little. We're all going to pitch in for one member, one member per week, and think of something positive about them and write it down. The same as before, PM it to me, and then I'll make a list of what everyone had to say about them, but without revealing who said it.

You'll have to be an active member on the site, somebody who has posted at least semi-frequently over the years with us, in order to have something written about you. Yeah, it'd be kind of pointless to write something about someone when no one would be sure if you'd even be here to see it. So, with that in mind, I'll make a list of who's active. I'll go alphabetically. The person being written about that week will be highlighted in green. I'll move down from member to member every week, posting what was said about them at the end of each week.

So here goes!
    • Arratra
    • BrutusRat
    • Daryn
    • Rusakov
    • SliceofDog
    • Zukaro
    Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

So, er... do I write something positive about myself or do I not do it this week?
      Arratra's Signature
      Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
        So, er... do I write something positive about myself or do I not do it this week?
        Yeah, you just wait till next week.
        Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Is it okay if I don't take part? I don't feel like I know anybody here well enough to do this (you're all still amazing though).
          Rusakov's Signature
          "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Well, nobody is saying you have to say something if you don't have anything to say, but don't be surprised if others have things to say about you.
            Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Ah, this is a lovely idea, Rick! I'm definitely in

Edit: Oh, how long are we looking at these comments being? I'm sure there's not a set amount, and if it's just one word it's better than not sending anything, but for our first go at this I don't want to write an essay if we're just going for a few lines, or in contrast barely write anything if others are going all out!

Comment

Just what you feel. It doesn't need to be anything overly long, but write what's on your mind. If that turns out to be long, then I'm sure the person being written about won't mind.
                Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Okay, everybody, the deadline is approaching to get something said about Arratra. I've received only one PM so far. Let's please get to writing. I'd like to have whatever folks are going to say, in my inbox by no later than Friday evening.
                  Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Here is what people had to say about Arratra.

Arratra has a really creative mind and a level head. I also like that he's able to admit when he makes a mistake and learns from it.

Arratra, throughout almost my entire experience with him, has ever been a well spoken and gentlemanly individual. I have always, and likely always will, hold him in high regard.

Arratra, you have shown yourself time and time again to be someone with a wonderful attitude and a friendly disposition. You make time for people and you really try - and, to me at the very least, it pays off. You're a true asset to this forum, and I feel to any community you may choose to be a part of. Thank you for choosing to be a part of ours!

Tomorrow, we start writing something about BrutusRat!
                    Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Aw, shucks guys...
                      Arratra's Signature
                      Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

And here's what folks had to say about BrutusRat:

I know BrutusRat from another forum, and he was always a really sweet person. He's only started to be more active here recently, and I'm liking that. A creative writer and all around nice guy. I hope that he'll be around here for a good, long, time.

I’ve known BrutusRat a long time. He’s a little distracted at times, but apart from that, he’s one of the friendliest and sweetest people I’ve known. He’ll bend over backwards for a friend and is very loyal to those whom he calls friends. Here’s to you, BrutusRat. Just a good guy all around.

Next week, we'll be writing something about Daryn!
                        Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Ah, shoot. I completely forgot about this. My bad.
                          Arratra's Signature
                          Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Just giving this a little bump. We're currently on Daryn, aren't we - I believe people have until Sunday to comment?

Comment

And for Daryn:

Daryn has been kind and understanding in the entire time I've known him, and has been extremely helpful on the few occasions the site has suffered issues. I am glad to know him.

Daryn is the kind of person who becomes dedicated, utterly, to whatever he sets his mind to. Throughout my years of working with him, and indeed, being his friend, he has managed our sites with nothing short of diligence and care broaching on the fastidious. And he is my friend. A fact for which I will be eternally grateful.

Daryn is good 'w' and does a good job with making the site run well and such

Daryn, you are one of the nicest and most hard-working people I've had the pleasure to meet. Your passion for your interests shines through and you clearly care about the tasks you choose to set your mind to. Thank you for what you do for us here on the site, and more generally whenever we interact.

And I like Friday for the deadline, so I can post these on Saturday.
                              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I, uh... I don't even know that to say.

Thank you everyone! I really didn't know you thought so highly of me. *wipes eyes*
                                Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

And here's for Rusakov! Sorry! I've been dealing with some RL issues here over the last week and a half, and I totally forgot about this!

From what I can gather of Rusakov, he's a very intelligent person. Loves science, tech, sci-fi, and loves to share that love and knowledge with others. Sometimes he seems to get frustrated with how things are going, but after a bit of sleep and a fresh start he pushes through. Rusakov is a Geek, and that's awesome.

I second this. On top of that, Rusakov has been a member of the site for a long time, and a productive one! Cheers, Rusakov!

Rusakov has been unfailingly polite in the entire time I've known him on this forum. Not once has he ever insulted anyone on this board, not even inadvertently.

SliceofDog is up next!
                                  Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Aww, thanks guys!
                                    Rusakov's Signature
                                    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Working...
                                    X