90s Nostalgia Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90s Nostalgia Thread

While I was born in 1990, I wasn't as attuned to the culture some others might have been at the time (no Internet or cable until ~1998 and no game consoles ever). In spite of that, watching this video is giving me a real case of nostalgia (some of the sounds are loud):

I know the usual nostalgia blinders effect is in play here. There were bad things going on in the 90s (domestic terrorism and the militia movement in the U.S. and what the former Soviet Bloc states went through), but I still kind of miss that time.

So -for better or for worse- here's a thread for reminiscing on the 90s for those who had a good time in that decade.
    Rusakov's Signature
    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

The 90's were the years I went through high school. Those years were, well, mostly terrible. There were a few high points, though. If there's one thing that encapsulates the 90's for me, it's this...

I can even remember what the sounds mean.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I was only born in the later part of the 90s but I often think of how technology has changed.
      I can think of the old school internet.. slow and annoying. The sound of the internet modem :/
      The watching of video tapes and how you could still rent them ;p
      Otherwise the strange coloured clothing X3
      I feel like 90s culture did continue a little into the 2000s too, before things really did start to change somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix View Post
        I was only born in the later part of the 90s but I often think of how technology has changed.
        I can think of the old school internet.. slow and annoying. The sound of the internet modem :/
        As a counterpoint: at least spyware ads weren't everywhere and you weren't being psychologically manipulated via social networks. ;3;
        Rusakov's Signature
        "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Just this.

Rusakov's Signature

Comment

You know, the 90's also brought with them some interesting SciFi Furry cartoons too. Two that come to mind are Biker Mice From Mars, and Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars. I don't know if they hold up too well today, but they were kind of fun.
            Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
              You know, the 90's also brought with them some interesting SciFi Furry cartoons too. Two that come to mind are Biker Mice From Mars, and Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars. I don't know if they hold up too well today, but they were kind of fun.
              Mighty Max had a werewolf episode too.

And let's not forget these guys!

Rusakov's Signature

Comment

An idea I've been kicking around lately is a SciFiFur BBS. It might be fun to set something like that up, and have oldschooldoor games like Barren Realms Elite, Legend of the Red Dragon, Falcon's Eye, and other stuff like that.

Does anyone remember BBS's?
                Daryn's Signature

Comment

Not me. I'm not even sure what that is.
                  Arratra's Signature
                  Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
                    Not me. I'm not even sure what that is.
                    Bulletin Board System.

The only thing labeled bbs I've ever experienced though is a forum proper.
                    Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post

As a counterpoint: at least spyware ads weren't everywhere and you weren't being psychologically manipulated via social networks. ;3;
                      Nope, but you did have the golden age of the Pop-Up My favorites were pop-ups advertising shady pop-up blockers.

As for 90's nostalgia, I was born in 92 so admittedly most of the decade passed before I knew what was going on. That being said, I have a definite soft spot for 90's PC games. Starcraft. Warcraft 2. Red Alert 2. Tiberium Sun. HAWK. Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament. Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Roller Coaster Tycoon. The Windows 98 boot up sound... yeah... that's the good shit.

And can we talk about the optimism for a bit? Rusakov is right, bad things were happening in the 90's, and perhaps this is a US-Centric perspective but.... the sky was the limit. The Cold War was over. The Economy was booming (mostly). The internet was this big THING that was going to revolutionize humanity, it was going to be the next step in human evolution. You saw the media and pop-culture around it. The nickname of "information super-highway" spoke to this idea that all the world's knowledge was soon going to available to everyone... It's heady stuff, and I wasn't even potty trained for the first part of it.
                      Dusty's Signature
                      IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
                        *Snip*
                        I was born in '90 and my parents weren't able to get cable + internet until '98. But I still remember all the optimism and the future looking bright.

And speaking of Windows startup sounds...

Even our computers sounded optimistic!
                        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Huh. I was born in 92 myself. Much of the same applies to me as well, I can tell you what it was like to be a young child in the nineties... not so much the rest of it.

Arratra's Signature
                          Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Heh, I feel really old all of a sudden. It does really make me want to put together a retro edition of SFF, though.
                            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                            X