Clear All

It's a Pony!

Tada! Is me!

20181122_123954.jpg
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Heya! You're looking good today!
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

And his new truck!

newt01.jpg
      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Just wanted to say that I think they set you up with a fine one this time. Shame about that turning circle, though.
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
          Just wanted to say that I think they set you up with a fine one this time. Shame about that turning circle, though.
          Yeah, they certainly did. It is the nicest truck I've ever driven.

And I guess you mean turning radius? Yeah, it does have somewhat of a wide one. Backing has been a bit of a learning curve, and judging spaces when needing to turn around, but I'm getting it.

It's also a trade off. A longer wheel base might mean a less tight turning radius, but it also means a smoother ride and better ease of lane-tracking. This truck is a sheer joy to drive down the road.

Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I think it's probably a fair trade-off, though. I mean, turning around and into spaces is something you do at the beginning and end of trips, typically, but driving is the majority of it. Having the smoother ride cuts down on driver fatigue.
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Having the smoother ride cuts down on driver fatigue.
              That there is a fact.

Before, I never cared much for driving Kenworth or Peterbilt trucks (and yes, 'Peterbilt', the 'bilt' part instead of 'built' is correct) trucks. They were always traditionally machismo trucks. Large fenders over the steers tires. Big stacks coming up just behind the doors, big chrome air-cleaners on either side of the windshield.

kenworthw900sleeper.jpg?_=-1938795089.jpg

They might look nice and appeal to the 'I-Drive-a-Big-Truck' crowd, but I hate driving them. Just look at all of those fixtures on that truck. When you're sitting in that cab up there, all of those nice looking fixtures just add up to a whole load of blind spots. The air-cleaners are large and block a lot of your view diagonally to both sides of the front of the truck. Those huge stacks can't be seen around when you're backing, while just leaning your elbow out the window and looking back at where you're going. You literally have to open the driver's side door to pan the mirror out, so you can see around it. And that great big square hood. Yeah, that's a twenty-foot blind spot right in front of you. A large sedan can literally disappear from the driver's perspective from over that hood, if you pull too close to it at a traffic light. Or you might never know a person is walking in front of you, if you didn't happen to see them walk across in front of you.

The only things these trucks offer is comfort. They tend to have longer wheel bases, which makes them ride and track lanes better, but all of those blind spots, ugh.

Then there's my truck. It's an amalgamation of all of the comfort and long wheel base, but without all of the blind spots. My truck, because of this, is a sheer joy to drive.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

And the truck's dash!

dashboard.jpg
                Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

So that little tiny screen to the right of the steering wheel is the thuroughlyannoying safety thing?
                  Daryn's Signature

Comment

So that little tiny screen to the right of the steering wheel is the thuroughlyannoying safety thing?
                    That it is.

My love-to-hate-it thoroughly annoying little safety thing.
                    Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Hah, what's the "love-to-hate-it thoroughly annoying little safety thing"?

And the truck looks good, at least as far as my untrained eye can tell. Quite sleek and modern. The dash looks complex, but then I presume they are in all trucks?

Comment

The 'love-to-hate-it thoroughly annoying little safety thing' is a system made by Bendix to help trucks become safer on the road.

Which of course, I agree with. It is the four-wheelers that make it annoying, not the system, itself. Some idiot doing fifteen miles per hour under the speed limit, you have to stay back from them, or else the Bendix thing starts this annoying chirping at you. If you're on a two-lane highway or in traffic and can't get around the annoying four-wheeler, it can really put a damper on your day.

It's got forward-facing radar. It is linked to the brakes and cruise control. And it has this very loud beep to it, when it starts beeping at you. Ask Daryn. He's heard it while we were on the phone.

With me hands-free, of course. I am a safe driver.

As to the dash, not usually. I just have a really nice truck. Partly because of the company I work for, and partly because this is a 'Reward' truck. The Kenworth T-680 is the flagship of their fleet, they only going out to their best drivers. And heh, I rank 6th in safety and performance, out of 7700 other drivers. And 6th only because there are five other guys as good as me, who have been there longer than me.

I really am that good a driver. But not just bragging, either. I am safety-conscious in everything I do and I get up everyday and just do the job. I don't really do anything particularly special. I just do it right everyday. Not that hard to do. Just heh, do it.
                        Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Working...
                        X