Personal hypotheses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal hypotheses

So sometimes, late at night, I have epiphanies regarding bits of science. The latest one was last night, and I decided that I wanted to share them and see the thoughts they provoke.

Now, none of the ones I do are backed by math; I never reached the calculus section of high-school math, and I was never great shakes at algebra. What they are are extrapolations of existing physics theories; the implications of our current understanding of the universe taken to a logical (or at least semi-logical) endpoint.

I'll be adding more as they occur to me (or I remember them), but for now I have two for you. Feel free to add your own too.

1: The Big Bang exploded in both directions along all three spatial dimensions (that we are aware of). There does not appear to be any reason why it could not have exploded in both directions along all other dimensional axes, including temporal.

2: Dark Matter cannot be observed in any manner aside from its gravitational "shadow". Gravity effects all dimensions equally (and is notably unique among known forces for doing so). This suggests that Dark Matter is, from a dimensional standpoint, a little off to the "side", existing a short distance from observable space along a fifth dimensional axis, though how far this actually is could be as little as nanometres, or as far as entire light-years.
    Arratra's Signature
    Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Interesting thoughts, for sure. I don't have much to add as far as 2 goes, but I do think the Big Bang was a multi-dimensional event. I'm also of the opinion that there are more than 4 dimensions to reality. We can quantify the first 4, but we don't yet understand the rest. Ghosts, whether we have souls, visions of the future or the past. Some of this is nonsense spouted by crazy people, but some of it I'm not so sure. There's research being done that suggests it's possible to tap into a higher state of consciousness. I don't know where it'll go, but it's an interesting thought.

One thing is for sure, we don't know everything there is to know about ourselves and the world we inhabit. There's bound to be some surprises ahead.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Gravity, as I've come to understand it, is the collective pull of trillions upon trillions of atoms grouped in large clusters. Such as in stars, planetary bodies, black holes and the like. Atoms are naturally attracted to each other. The more of them you get, the more they want to attract.

Or to be more scientific about it, the greater their attractive force becomes.

And since, as science is recently discovering, atoms are held together by forces we don't yet fully understand, but are calling it things like 'Quantum Theory' and 'Dark Matter', it would indicate to me that this collective force greater numbers of atoms exert, would extend into the 'realms', we'll call it, that we are coming to believe hold these atoms together.

A 'Water-Surface-Tension Phenomenon' that applies to dimensional theory, maybe? If it were indeed the case, it could suggest that gravity is the one absolute constant in the universe, but also a byproduct of how the universe functions.

And... trying to think too hard on it is starting my brain to smoking. So I better stop.

As to your point, Daryn, I've been hearing stuff on this as well. It's called 'Quantum Entanglement Theory'. In it, it is postulated that our sensorium, combined with our consciousness, supersedes what we perceive in the world observable to us.

I find this particularly interesting, because none of what is being postulated can be proven, or even seriously hypothesized. There's just no way to put the postulations to any kind of observable tests. But if it were true, I believe it could lead to some fascinating theories. I for one have often wondered, with how marvelous our consciousness is, how could it just end when our bodies failed? Could our consciousnesses really be contained only within this weird, jelly substance inside our skulls? I just can't believe that. Our consciousnesses are little short of pure, clockworks marvels. There has to be more to them than manifestations of mere biological function.

It is what I believe gave our ancestors the notion of gods. We are able to perceive so much. But what we are able to perceive pales when compared to how much we can imagine. Moreover, we surpass every other living creature on Earth in this regard. Are we then, possibly gods? Shakespeare, one may be given to wonder, then, may have hit pretty close to home.

What a piece of work is man,
      How noble in reason,
      how infinite in faculty,
      In form and moving how express and admirable,
      In action how like an Angel,
      In apprehension how like a god,
      The beauty of the world, The paragon of animals.
      Seriously. Could we be?

Well, as much as the idea may suggest itself, I doubt it quite seriously. But even still, given how marvelous our consciousness is, would it be far too unreasonable to assume that it could surpass the short longevity of this biological creature we call man? Would it perhaps settle into some other form? Would we resume this thing we call consciousness in someone else in future? (The long-held belief in reincarnation?) Or would we float in the Universe, formless, but still 'alive' in our ability to perceive, but perceiving it in different ways?

Would we become a Soul?

If 'Soul' could be taken as valid definition for such a state as us continuing as formless perception, then why not? If we knew, would it not transcend metaphysical and become accepted fact - like how we understand the principles of say, magnetism or electricity as facts? Would 'Soul' then become an inadequate definition for what this state was?

Oi.

Okay, heh, yeah, I think I just broke my 'Existential' thinking center for the day. But goodness, isn't this stuff fascinating to consider? If only our perceptions weren't so limited. What wonders to delight, amaze and enthrall we might otherwise know.
      Little Rick's Signature
      Site Director and Head Administrator
      Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
      My F-List
      My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Those are implications I didn't think of.

My thoughts on the big bang thing was that there was potentially an entire universe (possibly comprised mostly of antimatter) on the other "side" of it (temporally speaking). That would account for where all the antimatter that our current accounting of physics says is "missing".

And... yeah. I can definitely see a bunch of surprises in our future as we learn more about the nature of the universe.

You know, I wonder what a physicist would make of these theories?
        Arratra's Signature
        Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
          Seriously. Could we be?

Well, as much as the idea may suggest itself, I doubt it quite seriously. But even still, given how marvelous our consciousness is, would it be far too unreasonable to assume that it could surpass the short longevity of this biological creature we call man? Would it perhaps settle into some other form? Would we resume this thing we call consciousness in someone else in future? (The long-held belief in reincarnation?) Or would we float in the Universe, formless, but still 'alive' in our ability to perceive, but perceiving it in different ways?

Would we become a Soul?

If 'Soul' could be taken as valid definition for such a state as us continuing as formless perception, then why not? If we knew, would it not transcend metaphysical and become accepted fact - like how we understand the principles of say, magnetism or electricity as facts? Would 'Soul' then become an inadequate definition for what this state was?

Oi.

Okay, heh, yeah, I think I just broke my 'Existential' thinking center for the day. But goodness, isn't this stuff fascinating to consider? If only our perceptions weren't so limited. What wonders to delight, amaze and enthrall we might otherwise know.
          It's honestly hard to tell, because we, as a society are really afraid to investigate these things. Nobody likes to think about what happens after. Though, now, there are a few people starting to do research into these things. Bill Atkinson who used to be at Apple and helped make the Mac a reality has started to put some real effort into finding out what is going on. He recently had an experience where he swears he spoke to his dead wife and she told him to continue with his life, love, and work. It's the sort of story that you can dismiss as crazy if it came from anyone but him. Bill is a scientist and engineer, so he's decided to research into what happened. Herbs, smoking, and drugs were involved, but I don't see that as a reason to dismiss it. These substances exist in nature. Our bodies turn one compound into another. So what if the key is simply that our bodies are lacking a particular compound. Like, a fuel or nutrient, if you don't have it, you can't function. It stands to reason if you're missing this particular thing, you couldn't tap into that elevated state.

Does that state exist? More people are starting to think so. If they can prove it, then they can work on what you need to get there.

Heh, well, I've just gone off on a tangent there.
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
            1: The Big Bang exploded in both directions along all three spatial dimensions (that we are aware of). There does not appear to be any reason why it could not have exploded in both directions along all other dimensional axes, including temporal.
            The Big Bang theory as it currently stands states that the universe didn't expand "into" anything (there was nothing for it to expand into), it just... expanded.

Confusing and Zen-like basically, but that's reality for you. O.o

Comment

Confusing is right. Having a hard time wrapping my head around the implications of that.
              Arratra's Signature
              Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
                Confusing is right. Having a hard time wrapping my head around the implications of that.
                It's okay. I don't understand it myself!

Comment

Working...
                X