The Wheel of Time Series might be closer than I thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wheel of Time Series might be closer than I thought

Yesterday was the first day of filming for The Wheel of Time TV show. They were supposed to start at the end of september, but they're starting now. So perhaps that means it won't be 2021 before we see the show.

Yesterday was also the 12th anniversary of the passing of Robert Jordan. So there's a bit of a bittersweet vibe for the cast and crew as they get to work.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Heh! And here I am, just starting a read-through of the series again.

Man! Am I so looking forward to this!
    Little Rick's Signature
    Site Director and Head Administrator
    Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
    My F-List
    My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

From casting Rosamund Pike as Moiraine, I got a real sense that these folks are really treating this with the respect it deserves.I genuinely can't wait, either!

I might also start up another reading, but I just did all three Stormlight books, so maybe I'll back off the audiobooks for a bit. At least for the time-being.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

How's the story's plot in the books? I've never read any of them as I've heard a number of them are Peter F. Hamilton-sized doorstoppers. Not really for me to be frank.

Comment

I've read through the whole series three times thus far. Some of them are quite long, particularly the later ones, but there is a lot going on. A lot of characters, plots, and philosophy being woven throughout those books. I would give The Eye of the World a go and see if it grabs you. It's a very different style to PFH.

If not, you could wait on the show and just experience it that way.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

I think I'll wait on the show. I don't have time to read doorstoppers much anymore.

Comment

It is a story both of events that effect a world, and a masterpiece metaphor for the human condition. Robert Jordon wove a fantastic story. He created a world unparalleled in any other fantasy novel or series I've ever read. Cities with different cultures, with cultural undercurrents between those cities. He described sword-fighting in a way equally unparalleled, using metaphoric descriptions of sword techniques easy for the reader to imagine. He created a class of ruling mystics that were both revered and hated by the entire world. And then not least, he created a system of magic that has never been equaled - not before it and not since.

The Wheel of Time series is undeniably the most fantastic fantasy epic of our time. If you love fantasy the way I do, then you'll not regard the books in the series as 'Doorstoppers', but will lament that they are as short as they are, when at last you turn the last page in each one.

They are utterly captivating.

I have read all fourteen books five times now. I just started my sixth read-through of the series last week.

The books are really that good.
              Little Rick's Signature
              Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
              My F-List
              My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post
                And then not least, he created a system of magic that has never been equaled - not before it and not since.
                I really love the way Jordan described the One Power and the True Power. He made a mystical system feel believable, and that's no easy feat. This is one of the many reasons I love The Wheel of Time. 'Magic' as it were, has many faces.

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post
                The Wheel of Time series is undeniably the most fantastic fantasy epic of our time. If you love fantasy the way I do, then you'll not regard the books in the series as 'Doorstoppers', but will lament that they are as short as they are, when at last you turn the last page in each one.

They are utterly captivating.
                Hehe, no argument here, though I guess for us it's a bit different because we've got Michael Kramer and Kate Reading in our ears. I know I can listen to an audiobook a lot longer than I can sit and read a paper book. Something about their voices just sucks me in.
                Daryn's Signature

Comment

Today's update is a brief teaser video showing the cast doing a reading of the first episode. Damned if those people don't look happy to be there.

Twitter
                  Daryn's Signature

Comment

I have seldom wished for anything more.

I am so looking forward to the first season of this, I am beside myself with anticipation.

And Rosamond Pike as Moraine...

It almost makes me wanna cry with joy.
                    Little Rick's Signature
                    My F-List
                    My FurAffinity

Comment

You know, sometimes you hear peope saying "This person was born to play this role." I don't think that could apply any more to Rosamund Pike. Even in that informal reading she was on. For all intents and purposes, she really is Moiraine.
                      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Oh!

Do you know who I think would make a perfect Thom Merrilin?

hughlaurie2-1600x856.jpg?itok=mI1gTScv.jpg

Yep! Hugh Laurie!
                        Little Rick's Signature
                        My F-List
                        My FurAffinity

Comment

Heh, that would be an interesting choice. He could pull it off, for sure. I wonder if he was available. I can't wait to hear who they did cast for him!
                          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                          X