Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, where was that from?
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      Hmm, where was that from?
      He played one of the characters in Big Hero 6. He was Tadashi, the main character's big brother, and the creator of Baymax, the robot protagonist in the story.
      Little Rick's Signature
      Site Director and Head Administrator
      Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
      My F-List
      My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

A brief note from Brandon Sanderson.

Wheel of Time Television Show Update

There’s not a ton I can tell you here, I’m afraid. I’m not deeply involved in the production itself. I think they might have made me a producer, but my actual role is something more akin to a script consultant. I read the scripts, then offer feedback to Rafe, the showrunner.

I’ve been very impressed with Rafe, and during my visit to the set in Prague last month I found the production to be very high quality. The sets looked great, the acting was on point, and the shots they were filming while I was there looked excellent. I’ve liked the scripts too, though they are changing some things from the books. Some changes I agree with 100%, some I find a little more uncertain.

I had the set photographer take some shots of me while I was there, alongside some pieces of the set, but we’ve had a devil of a time getting approval from all the necessary people to show them. My assistant is still working on those, so if we have them by some miracle by the time this goes out, he’ll post links in here. Otherwise we’ll get them to you as soon as we can.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Hah! Brandon looks like a younger version of me!
          Little Rick's Signature
          Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
          My F-List
          My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post
            Hah! Brandon looks like a younger version of me!
            I was wondering if you'd notice that.

Good tidbits there, though. It sounds like it's coming along pretty well.
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Good tidbits there, though.
              Well, I'm certainly encouraged by one thing. Brandon said they were sticking as closely to the original material as they could. He also said that there were some bits he wasn't so certain of.

Well, them's the breaks. The Eye of the World is a very long book. To try to condense that down to fit it into just one season, even if they gave this the same quality treatment HBO did the Game of Thrones, there would have to be some things they'd need to change. There's just too much to include it all.

On top of that, The Eye of the World was the book Robert Jordon was getting his feet under him with. There was a bit too much ostentation in the work, like Jordon was trying to imbue a little too much mythical effulgence to the world and characters, like he wasn't precisely sure of what he wanted to do with the world, yet, himself. Which he toned down pretty significantly in the second book and then from there onward, as he became more certain of what he wanted to write about. The latter books took on more of a 'Grass Roots' aspect, because of this, which I think would be a lot more appealing to viewers, than constant ostentation would.

So yeah, I think some changes, especially with the adaptation of the first book, are actually pretty necessary.
              Little Rick's Signature
              My F-List
              My FurAffinity

Comment

Well, I'm certainly encouraged by one thing. Brandon said they were sticking as closely to the original material as they could. He also said that there were some bits he wasn't so certain of.
                I think transparency is refreshing, though. Often all you hear is "Everything's Great!" but he's being honest and sharing his concerns. Those concerns probably aren't too major, or he wouldn't have said anything at all.

Well, them's the breaks. The Eye of the World is a very long book. To try to condense that down to fit it into just one season, even if they gave this the same quality treatment HBO did the Game of Thrones, there would have to be some things they'd need to change. There's just too much to include it all.

On top of that, The Eye of the World was the book Robert Jordon was getting his feet under him with. There was a bit too much ostentation in the work, like Jordon was trying to imbue a little too much mythical effulgence to the world and characters like he wasn't precisely sure of what he wanted to do with the world, yet, himself. Which he toned down pretty significantly in the second book and then from there onward, as he became more certain of what he wanted to write about. The latter books took on more of a 'Grass Roots' aspect, because of this, which I think would be a lot more appealing to viewers, than constant ostentation would.

So yeah, I think some changes, especially with the adaptation of the first book, are pretty necessary.
                The first book also felt a big disjointed at times. I think, as you said, that was Jordan getting his feet under him. Being able to adapt that book and then tighten up the bits that didn't quite flow too well, would be good for everyone.

It's funny, because the more information that comes out about this show, the more excited I get for it. I haven't had that, "What? They did THAT?" moment, yet, and hopefully, I won't.
                Daryn's Signature

Comment

Ooh, I love who they got to play Fain! He even looks like a Darkfriend!
                  Little Rick's Signature
                  My F-List
                  My FurAffinity

Comment

Ooh, I love who they got to play Fain! He even looks like a Darkfriend!
                    Their casting director is nailing it so far. Fain just looks exactly how I'd imagined him to. So far, nothing seems out of place. We'll see how Loial looks once in costume, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle that.

Of course they might make him regular sized, but I hope they don't.
                    Daryn's Signature

Comment

Of course they might make him regular sized, but I hope they don't.
                      Yeah, in the books, he's like 10-feet tall. It would be a shame if they underplayed that. A real shame.

Also, not so sure about who they got to play Thom. I've never seen this actor play in anything else before. He's got a lot of work under his belt, but I've never seen any of the shows he's in.
                      Little Rick's Signature
                      My F-List
                      My FurAffinity

Comment

Also, not so sure about who they got to play Thom. I've never seen this actor play in anything else before. He's got a lot of work under his belt, but I've never seen any of the shows he's in.
                        That seems to be the case for a lot of the actors they're choosing, though. Very few of them are household names. Hopefully they all work out!
                        Daryn's Signature

Comment

A new bit of news today from Deadline. Alanna and her two Warders join the cast.

‘The Wheel Of Time’: Amazon Adds Three To Cast Of Series – Deadline
                          Daryn's Signature

Comment

She is so going to be Moiraine!

Little Rick's Signature
                            My F-List
                            My FurAffinity

Comment

It's going to be really fascinating to see what she brings to the series. She's done a lot of work in Hollywood, but the Wheel of Time is probably the first time she's playing a role that she is truly passionate about. She grew up reading the books. Playing Moiraine must be a total dream gig!
                              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Here's a photo from the set.

Rafe Judkins on Twitter: "And apparently Twitter strips location data as well. So here it is if you don’t have Instagram!… "
                                Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                                X