Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starbase looks interesting (also a lot of likely semi-unrelated rambling)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starbase looks interesting (also a lot of likely semi-unrelated rambling)

Starbase - Announcement Trailer - YouTube
    Starbase

:V Interesting is perhaps an understatement. This looks like exactly the sort of game I very much want. I love the idea of building my own ship/base/everything and then going into PvP with it; though, I do worry about the time investment--if done wrong a total wipe could take hours to recover from and only seconds to occur, which would lead to a not so fun experience. Though having some sort of time investment in building/replacing a ship is still a good idea, as that's what gives stakes to each encounter, but it has to be well balanced to actually be fun.

A good example of a game doing many aspects of this type of PvP entirely wrong is Worlds Adrift (which is a game that no longer exists as the studio has since pulled the plug on it, though it was a very fun game and the community was quite passionate about it, as no other game is quite like it). Worlds Adrift was another heavily physics based MMO where you build your own ships (though, only ships, unlike what Starbase appears to be promising) and fight other players, as well as explore and go treasure hunting (though I don't think Starbase has the exploration and treasure hunting, but I hope it will at least have exploration). The issue was it could take literal hours to harvest all the materials required to build a decent ship. And on top of that, resources didn't respawn often and you compete with all other players for those resources. It's interesting in theory, but in practice it just lead to a horrible PvP experience (though the game was fun, and PvP was fun if you had a crew).

So as long as Starbase does a good job at recovery from PvP encounters it should be fun and not frustrating to the point of quitting. Of course, one of the things that made Worlds Adrift special was the constant state of fear/worry; that you could be attacked at any moment and lose everything you've worked for in an instant. But with Starbase, on account of being able to build space stations/bases (as far as I understand), I would hope that they implement some sort of system where bases are a formidable foe; essentially requiring a fleet to destroy. Thus making it nearly impossible to destroy a decent base with a single ship. If they do it that way, the sense of fear will always be there, as you could very well be attacked by a fleet of ships (and it appears the game has its own in-game programming language too, so I would assume a single player would be able to make a fleet of combat drones, but on the flip-side your defences could be fully automated too). You'd stand a better chance though, and would have a more viable base to fall back on (which is important for recovering from a PvP encounter; you need somewhere to hoard resources so you can bounce back without a significant time investment). Though that would of course require getting established, which is difficult in PvP games like this--but would be better than the Worlds Adrift approach in which a fully established crew could lose everything in an instant (though I had gotten very good at hiding ships by the end of it all). It's a unique type of PvP (essentially a wild west PvP system), which offers a lot in terms of atmosphere in my opinion, but at the same time drives players away (after all, who wants to spend 10 hours building a space station only to get attacked and lose it all in seconds). Though for me the benefits outweigh the downsides, as I enjoy this sort of PvP to some extent (thus why I continued to play Worlds Adrift for a substantial number of hours, despite my frustrations with it; there was something fun about sneaking around other players, and watching them from a distance to keep tabs on their location).

One of my favourite things to do in Worlds Adrift when I had lost everything was to sneak onto a player ship and just hitch a ride undetected (though at times I also did this when I had hidden my ship in a very good hiding spot). So even if Starbase ends up with a similar type of PvP system I imagine I'll still enjoy it, and in fact more-so because it appears the infantry combat is actually well designed (whereas in Worlds Adrift naval combat worked great, but infantry combat was a nightmare, you just couldn't hit anyone and would very quickly wind up losing your ship to the boarding party (promptly running out of pistol ammo trying to fight back and ultimately getting spawn killed until you finally gave up and respawned on a nearby island instead)).

But the biggest flaw with Worlds Adrift was the solo play. If you played solo you just lose and that's it, so there was no point building a substantial ship as the second you encountered hostile players you'd lose it all. So you had to play as a crew if you wanted any chance in combat (and it was quite fun with a crew, but I only got to experience that once). Whereas since Starbase has coding, I could automate my ship defences (and then stand a chance in combat; perhaps not in offensive combat but certainly in defensive combat, though ultimately it would come down to how clever I design the systems).

One of the things that made that sort of PvP in Worlds Adrift special though was when players didn't attack you. There was just something so genuine about passing by other players peacefully, other players who absolutely could have annihilated your ship for no reason what-so-ever but decided against it for whatever reason. In fact I had once encountered pirates who were looking to steal my fuel, but then seeing the state of my ship (no engines, panels falling off, getting by on just a single sail) they decided against it and left me be. That's the sort of experience I'm hoping Starbase will have, but that ultimately comes down to the game's culture. But I don't imagine such a culture will last long as the player base increases, as players will encounter more and more players who shoot first and ask questions later, thus, eventually their best option will simply be to do the same, rather than risk their ship assessing the situation. Though this is also where a time investment on replacing/repairing ships/bases/etc comes in, as those who're looking for a fight will naturally lose everything more frequently, thus being "reset" more often, preventing them from gaining real traction and creating an unstoppable force. However, the reality of this is that those who are just looking for a fight will still somehow gain those resources. Whether it be waiting for the right moment to begin their conquest or careful choosing of targets they'll eventually acquire those resources and grow in numbers. A good example of this (from Worlds Adrift, of course) was the "Join or Die" group. Essentially what that was, was a group of high level players returning to the starter locations and then essentially just carpet bombing all the new players, telling them they'd only stop if they joined their clan. Thus they gained a large following; many left the clan shortly after joining but many others stayed and continued doing the same thing in order to grow their numbers. It's one of the things that makes this sort of anything goes PvP very interesting to me, because it lets players genuinely fight for something, and lets the community build its own lore naturally (this is also why the 2B2T Minecraft server is of some level of interest to me as well, it's a true anarchy server thus anything goes, and so people fight for goals that come up due to how everyone naturally interact). As for Worlds Adrift, while playing one of the players who didn't shoot me on sight (nor shoot me at all for that matter, it was a peaceful encounter, which was fairly rare for this location) was a member of an opposing alliance forming to fight against the Join or Die alliance. Through the in-game voice chat he told me about what was going on and what his alliance was all about and asked if I'd like to join (but I declined to join and then we went our separate ways). But there's just something so interesting about this sort of thing which I really don't think can be recreated with a more controlled form of PvP--essentially, the community make the rules and enforce them themselves, and if people don't like that they can fight back or move far away from the group enforcing their own rules upon people (I chose to keep my distance from all players and sneak around, since I was playing solo most of the time, so fighting back wasn't really an option for me).

Anyway that went off on a tangent a bit I think. Though I'm sure each paragraph I've written has gone off on several tangents. :p

Regardless, Starbase looks like it'll be a fun game, and I really hope it'll in some way take the place that Worlds Adrift did, but, perhaps do it better. I can't wait. But, due to the way Worlds Adrift shut down, I'm a bit skeptical of early access titles, especially ones that are as ambitious as Starbase is. So I'll likely wait to see if it makes it to full release. I also really hope that I'll be able to fully customize my character. Since it's a voxel based game I don't see why I shouldn't be able to, and I'm guessing that the customization will work similarly in concept to customizing a ship (though I haven't seen any reference to character customization so I'm not sure). Basically I just really badly want to be a robot fox and if I can be a robot fox then it will be the best game that has ever been made. :V Definitely not biased at all. :p

Though I do wish there would be a Linux version; Windows only it seems, though it's to be expected. It's not a big deal though as Steam in home streaming is incredibly good these days, and even Steam Proton works pretty well (but I do prefer to use Linux and run everything native whenever possible).

As for this entire post, I think 99% of this is just speculation based on one trailer and making comparisons to an entirely unrelated game (only some concepts between the two games are shared, though, I haven't seen many other highly physics based MMOs with essentially anarchic PvP), and a lot of rambling. :p Will be looking for more info on Starbase at some point, though not right now.
    Zukaro's Signature
    Zukaro Travon
    Robotic Fox

Asked them about it: https://twitter.com/StarbaseGame/sta...18027969699842

I can't be a robot fox ;w; still interested in the game though but still
    Zukaro's Signature
    Zukaro Travon
    Robotic Fox

Comment

Zukaro Aww. *Cuddles*

Comment

Originally posted by Zukaro View Post
        Asked them about it: https://twitter.com/StarbaseGame/sta...18027969699842

I can't be a robot fox ;w; still interested in the game though but still
        Something like making your own species from Spore would be plausible I guess. I mean, the idea worked in 99% of time with that 1% of trying to simulate the extreme ideas.

Comment

Working...
        X