Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ad Astra

No prefix cause it's going to be short.
    But Ad Astra (Brad Pitt's new movie) is much more accurately defined as 'fantasy' than 'science fiction'.
    I just saw it and it's left me very grumpy.
    macrorufus's Signature
    We're sorry. The wolf you have attempted to contact is not available. Please call again later.

That's a bummer. Is it one of those films that can be enjoyed as its own thing, though?
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Again no harder SF? Screw that movie then. Wake me up when there's a such a title. Good to strike off yet another pointless movie from the list then.

Comment

Just saw this the other night, myself. Way disappointing.

It was a very poor presentation of what life in space is like. That is one problem it has. Like people walking around on the Moon and on Mars like they would on Earth? Like, in a full G of gravity? No.

The other problem was, there was a point to this movie? I didn't see one, if there was one. The story in fact, made little sense at all. Was it maybe a last hurrah for Tommy Lee Jones? If so, he had only a very small bit part in it. But also, threatens the universe?

The universe? It was about some kind of (spoiler alert) electromagnetic storm caused by a malfunctioning spacecraft, those EM spikes being sent back eathward from Neptune. By a spacecraft. Effecting the whole universe.

Not.

For the plus side, it did have a little commentary about the human condition, and our penchant for covering up what we don't want people to know, but that was even handled with ham hands, it making me roll my eyes it was so poorly presented.

All in all, I would say this is a movie Brad Pitt will be going over. Like, he actually did that? Yeah, like, right on the heels of Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, too, which was actually a very good movie.

What puzzles me most, is it got a 6.9 out of 10 on IMDb. For myself, I would have given it a 3-something. Because yeah, like, apart from the story being poor, the visuals weren't even very good, either.

So yeah. Miss this one. Or if you really want to see it, wait till it shows up on shelves way on sale. Because trust me, if you spend any real money on it, you won't be very happy you did.
        Little Rick's Signature
        Site Director and Head Administrator
        Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
        My F-List
        My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

I think the scene that genuinely made my want to throw my hands up in disgust was when Brad Pitt exits the booster module and accidentally kicks it away.
          macrorufus's Signature
          We're sorry. The wolf you have attempted to contact is not available. Please call again later.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post
            (spoiler alert) electromagnetic storm caused by a malfunctioning spacecraft, those EM spikes being sent back eathward from Neptune. By a spacecraft. Effecting the whole universe.
            Would have been more appropriate for the spikes being sent from Uranus, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
              LOL, like everything else about the wiriting of this movie. It was all pulled out of someone's ass.
              Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by macrorufus View Post
                I think the scene that genuinely made my want to throw my hands up in disgust was when Brad Pitt exits the booster module and accidentally kicks it away.
                I actually didn't throw a lot brains into that one. I did think it kind of strange though, that he could have kicked it away so easily. That capsule had to weigh at least a ton or close to it. At the very most, it probably would have only drifted away very slowly.

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
                It was like in the first Star Trek reboot film. A supernova that could destroy the whole galaxy? Ummm? Are the writers all just lazy? Or do they think all of us are just too stupid to know better?

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
                LOL, like everything else about the writing of this movie. It was all pulled out of someone's ass.
                It all struck me as just an excuse to get Brad Pitt in space. That alone ought to sell movie tickets!

I'd always thought a lot higher of Brad Pitt. He always seemed level-headed and that he knew how to pick his roles. So either the producers bamboozled him into taking the role, or he just wanted a space movie under his belt, not caring if it was any good or not. Either way, it turned out to be a pretty poor choice for him, and likely his career, too.

But yeah, at any rate. It was like it was taken from a story that was maybe written back in the 40s, long before anybody really knew anything about space travel, and especially the mechanics of it. Or, the sophistication of their audience. Audiences today know a lot more about space travel today, than they did 60 or 75 years ago, giving me that thought.
                Little Rick's Signature
                Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
                My F-List
                My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

And how about that!

Little Rick's Signature
                  My F-List
                  My FurAffinity

Comment

So basically, everything in this movie is a mess.
                    Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                    X