Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these technologies would be hard to do in Star Wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which of these technologies would be hard to do in Star Wars?

This Wiki page I've been editing for months with stuff I've read on the internet. Based on existing science and tech already available in Star Wars, which of these would be challenging for a scientist in Star Wars to create? Try to explain why and you can pick multiple entries. Remember, Star Wars is more advanced then the movies often show.

List of hypothetical technologies - Wikipedia

It's a very hard subject and idea to tell what tech is mostly plausible is rather difficult due to many aspects. First of them is the fact that we are speaking about the past civilization(s). The second is the fact that Galactic Empire would be Type 3 Civilization on Kardashev Scale, due to the fact that Empire alone is able to harness energy from the black holes aside of controlling huge parts of their galaxy. There is also a mash-up of magic and technology although Star Wars try to explain stuff and put certain limitations to their own lore. Third aspect, likely connected with the former mention of Kardashev Scale, is time: Republic before Clone Wars has been said to be around for over 25 000 years as a space-faring civilization.

So, it's more about what is able for us to develop, rather than what is plausible and "hard" sci-fi. For the people from 1960s, our smartphones would be something out of crazy person's mind - if not outright magic.

I

Comment

To add to what Lyon said: Star Wars isn't grounded in science. Frankly, the films are more fantasy than sci-fi.

Comment

Arthur C. Clarke said it best.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

That said, I am a little dubious... well more than a little dubious on the idea of a planet-exploding ray of doom. And from a space-traveling space station smaller than a moon. And about a near-moon-sized space station that can travel through space. They're just way too far-fetched. For all kinds of reasons I just don't want to try wrap my brain around at the moment.

There are technologies that I found plausible, though.

Anti-gravity was chief among these. I have little doubt, that if the principles of gravity were discovered, it would be very easy to learn to manipulate it. Just like how we've learned to manipulate the flow of electrons to make electricity, broadcast radio and so on. It is just discovering how something works. And all it will take is one genius or one kook in a backroom somewhere to do it. Things like gravity on spaceships and how to make things float a half a meter up from the ground, would become commonplace things, and probably only a few of the things it could be used for.

And heh, just so many other things that would be fun to discuss. But oi. Who has the time? Maybe somebody else here can pick up on a few things and keep it going.

But apart from that, please permit me to be the first who welcomes you to the forums, Maximum7. Here's to hoping you find a great time!
        Little Rick's Signature
        Site Director and Head Administrator
        Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
        My F-List
        My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post
          Arthur C. Clarke said it best.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
          But that's starting with the premise that what's happening is simply an insufficient understanding of scientific law. Star Wars has no scientific laws to understand, so it's impossible to say what may/may not be technologically feasible in the SW universe.

And that's fine, the story isn't focused on scientific/technological phenomenon. But that means it's pretty much a fool's errand to try to come up with something like "can Star Wars universe invent (X)?", because any background of the universe's science is limited to interpreting what you see/hear on the set. That's not nearly rigorous enough to work with.

Comment

Working...
          X