Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever Happened to Clippy?

Since Rick talked about clippy.

I can remember, when I got the next version of Microsoft Word, I spent a long time trying to figure out how to turn 'Clippy' on.

Then imagine my disappointment when I learned I couldn't!

I was pretty mad at Microsoft.

Why they took him out, I'll never understand. I thought he was a lovely little anthropomorphism. He was cute. He was engaging and he was fun to interact with. True, he was pretty patronizing at times, and could be really annoying - but why couldn't Microsoft have improved him? Fix those things about him which annoyed people? Like as in grammar-correction levels, you could select strictness. So why not the same with 'Clippy'?

Heh, oh well. Just one more bad miss by Microsoft. There could have been a lot done with the character. That they just chose to take him out, instead, was a real disappointment.
    Little Rick's Signature
    Site Director and Head Administrator
    Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
    My F-List
    My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

IIRC they took him out because businessmen (who also got auto-enabled Clippy despite using Office Professional) were sick of having to turn him off after each update (in a business setting Clippy would be considered a needless distraction).

Still, I myself liked Clippy too. But Microsoft handled him rather poorly.

Comment

The idea behind Clippy, to put the features that people wanted to use in easier reach and to help make their writing better was a good one.

Newer versions of word took those concepts and baked them into the program itself and called it AI.

Windows XP had those little characters in the search, the dog, the robot, etc. It was an era where Microsoft was trying to tailor windows to be more consumer-focused, but they forgot that businesses didn't care at all about those sorts of things and those were their big clients.

To be honest, though, Clippy himself was never that offensive to me. I thought he was kind of fun. Gilbert Godfried as Clippy, though, I think he did more damage to that character than anyone at Microsoft ever could have.
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
          Gilbert Godfried as Clippy, though...
          Don't even get me started. Anything touched by that idiot is sure to fall to ruin.

I wish something would touch him. Like a bus traveling at high speed, for example.
          Little Rick's Signature
          Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
          My F-List
          My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post

Don't even get me started. Anything touched by that idiot is sure to fall to ruin.
            Well there was that one "50 Shades of Grey audiobook" skit he was in. How can someone ruin something that already lies in ruins?

Comment

50 Shades of Grey? I actually liked that. Well, the movie. Never listened to the audiobook. But I did like the movie. I didn't see what was so controversial about it.

Because like, yeah, you moralist prudes out there, BDSM is a thing, and some people really enjoy it. Why the author would seek to portray it as something sick, is something I don't understand. The man in the book was attracted to a girl and then wanted to bring her into his inner world. She freaked out and left. End of story. But then, so what? The guy could have went out and found a girl who was into it. Because yeah, like, BDSM clubs are a thing, too. And the Internet. Let's not forget that. Tons and tons of people on it who're into BDSM.

But coming back to Gilbert Godfried - the guy's an asshole with a way exaggeratedly put-on voice. His whole schtick is making fun of stuff. So, using the context of BDSM, I say we strip him naked and throw him into a room with about twenty hardcore sadists and then lock him in with them. And then ooh, the whipping, spanking and screaming.

Then let's see him make fun of that in his made-up obnoxious voice.
              Little Rick's Signature
              My F-List
              My FurAffinity

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rick View Post
                snip
                Uh... I was referring to this.

Comment

Well, I never saw this. Because yeah, I seldom seek out videos with Gilbert Godfried in them, to watch.
                  Little Rick's Signature
                  My F-List
                  My FurAffinity

Comment

That was ... certainly something.

"Holy Fuck is that wrong!"

Yes, yes it is. Thanks for sharing!
                    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X