Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries Trailer

After years of development, MW5: Mercenaries comes out Tuesday!

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Rock ON!
    Little Rick's Signature
    Site Director and Head Administrator
    Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
    My F-List
    My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

It does look quite good, doesn't it? Well, next time you're home you'll be able to download it!
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Well, been playing this for a little while. Or been trying to... and have been learning all over again, why I stopped buying new video games.

This is a game I have learned to hate, very quickly and very intensely.

The reasons are pretty simple:
        • The mechs are very difficult to control (I even bought a controller)
        • The scenarios are absolutely unbeatable (I count myself as a better than average first-person-shooter game-player, but this game takes the absolute cake in over-the-top difficulty)
        • The control scheme for managing the mechs and your contracts is difficult to learn. It is extremely clunky and difficult to navigate/manage - furthermore, it does not permit undo's for beginner players just learning how to manage it

Then, there's the graphics. I'd come to hope for a lot better, seeings how good Mechwarrior Online looked. But not here. Somewhere along the line they decided, apparently, to throw effort and polish over the shoulder. The game looks little better than did its predecessor (Mechwarrior4 Mercenaries). Clunky graphics, poorly rendered mechs and enemies (you should see the tanks driving over the terrain - like, wasn't there a physics engine developed for these high-end video cards some years ago?). The terrain is pretty, but the way entities in the game interact with it, can only make you sit and facepalm at how bad it was done.

Then, there's in your hangar/dropship. While inside (where you manage your mechs and contracts and stuff), you're in first-person view. But moving around in there is worst than the original Doom! Yeah, the 1993 version, not the 2016 one! It's jerky, wonky and way easy to get hung up on corners and stuff. On top of that, you have to move around in this space, a lot, to interact and do your management stuff. Like, having to talk to the mechanic for one bit, then having to go all the way upstairs to the bridge, to interact with your contract stuff. Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that moving around in the facility is so uninspired! Its clunkiness makes it a chore, and therefore very annoying!

But worst of all, is just how difficult the game is. And if you ask me, unnecessarily difficult. I'm on just the third mission. I've played mech-battle games in the past, and I'd gotten way good at them. I could practically beat Mechwarrior4 with one hand tied behind my back. I remember it was somewhat difficult just starting out with it, but it worked to ease you into getting good enough for the more advanced maps. Not this game, though. Oh no! Let's just keep throwing enemies at you until you're destroyed! Then as if that weren't enough, they throw flying entities at you while you're trying to battle ground forces. Flying entities that like so very much to fly directly above you (where you can't shoot them) and/or behind you, the latter forcing you to have to turn around to deal with them, leaving you exposed to ground-fire from the rear! In just the third map of the game! Yes! Because oh no! They can't make the game fair! That might mean you'd actually enjoy it!

I have died six times on the third map. I tried six different loadouts, six different strategies. And like I say, I am pretty good at this stuff. I maintained a pretty high standing on leader boards back in the day when Mechwarrior4 was a big online thing. I'm not good enough for this game, though, apparently!

Ask me, these guys should go back to the drawing board.
        • Crap gameplay
        • Crap graphics
        • Crap management scheme

I had such high hopes for this. I was an avid player of its predecessors. This abomination, though, just may put me off the franchise forever.
        Little Rick's Signature
        Site Director and Head Administrator
        Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
        My F-List
        My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Well that's a real bummer. Maybe this studio just isn't the one that should be making these games.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X