Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot With Liquid Metal Tendons Can Heal Itself

IEEE Spectrum

The more dynamic robots get, the more likely they are to break. Or rather, all robots are 100 percent guaranteed to break eventually (this is one of their defining characteristics). More dynamic robots will also break more violently. While they’re in the lab, this isn’t a big deal, but for long term real-world use, wouldn’t it be great if we could rely on robots to repair themselves?

Rather than give a robot a screwdriver and expect it to replace its own parts, though, a much more elegant solution is robots that can heal themselves more like animals, where for many common injuries, all you have to do is sit around for a little while and your body will magically fix itself. We’ve seen a few examples of this before using self-healing polymers, but for dynamic robots that run and jump, you need the strength of metal.

At the 2019 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) last month, roboticists from the University of Tokyo’s JSK Lab presented a prototype for a robot leg with a tendon “fuse” made out of a metal that can repair fractures. It does that by autonomously melting itself down and reforming into a single piece. It’s still a work in progress, but it’s basically a tiny little piece of the T-1000 Terminator. Great!
    Interesting. But the Terminator comparisons on every A.I./robotics article is becoming irritatingly stale to me.

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
    Interesting. But the Terminator comparisons on every A.I./robotics article is becoming irritatingly stale to me.
    Yup, this is some really cool stuff that's being worked on. You're right, though, the Terminator comparisons are annoying, but expected. This isn't quite like a Terminator, though. This robot seems like it'd be useful.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      You're right, though, the Terminator comparisons are annoying, but expected. This isn't quite like a Terminator, though. This robot seems like it'd be useful.
      Aye. But the people who need to know that Terminator references are now annoying cliches won't hear it. x_x

Comment

Working...
      X