History of the Quake franchise ft. Tim Willits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of the Quake franchise ft. Tim Willits

Noclip dug through their archive for the 25th anniversary of Quake. This is worth watching if you like id history.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Oh yes. I like id history.

Never cared much for Quake3, though. Heh, not much of a fan of online-only games. Also, Quake4 was a bust. And heh, Doom3.

But I do agree that id was the great influencer for the first-person game industry as we know it today. Without what they pioneered, we all may still be playing only side-scrollers.
    Little Rick's Signature
    Site Director and Head Administrator
    Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
    My F-List
    My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

It's weird to hear Tim say that they should have named Quake 2 "Wor", which would have given them a new IP. They were considering it, but went with Quake 2 instead. Everyone makes mistakes, it seems.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

That's an interesting point.

I never knew they were thinking about calling Qake 2 'Wor', of course, but it never really struck me as a Quake title, either. It always impressed me more as Doom-like, than it did anything like Quake.

For one, Qkake 2 was a lot more sci-fi-based, whereas the first Quake had more of a medieval and Gothic feel. In the first Quake, you were battling horror/nightmare monsters in medieval style, nightmare castles with pseudo sci-fi weapons. If it did wax a little more sci-fi in the second mapset, with its laser-wielding troopers. But those stood out as more of an anomaly than fitting like they were designed to thematically fit in the overall game. The overall theme of Quake was 'Dungeon-esque', perhaps speaking to Lovecraftian urges from the developers. A grotesque plunge into nightmare realms and dark magic and weird nightmare monsters.

Then Quake 2 was more military-esque. You were a futuristic military trooper battling cyborgs and brainwashed humans on a series of military bases, underground mines and weapons complexes. Just like in Doom. Which was precisely this, or very nearly the same. In fact, I always thought of Quake 2 as a Doom facelift - what the developers wished they'd been able to do with the first Doom, but weren't able to because the technology for it wasn't there yet. Even the weapons were the same, if several new ones were added for the newer game. The BFG in particular. That weapon is straight from the original Doom lexicon. If you remember, it didn't appear at any point in the original Quake, it in fact was replaced with the Lightning Gun as the game's biggest weapon.

So yeah, you ask me, I think id was pretty much all over the place back then. They had no real direction sense. It was like they were just throwing stuff out there and hoping for the best. But then heh, I guess that's what you get from a bunch of D&D geeks whose main goal in life is to just have fun making games.
        Little Rick's Signature
        Site Director and Head Administrator
        Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
        My F-List
        My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Working...
        X