Sci-Tech News January 15th, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Tech News January 15th, 2020

Before I get to the links proper I just want to say that the "megapack" threads I used to do probably won't be happening any more. They were a bit of a pain to get set up and now with all the other stuff I'm doing it's pretty much out of the question.

Now with that gloomy bit out of the way, here's the links!

Microsoft's Chromium Edge browser is here | Engadget

As promised, Microsoft is officially releasing its Chromium-based Edge browser today, which is powered by the same engine that's behind Google Chrome. Windows and Mac users can download and install the update manually, and automatic updates will start rolling out for Windows users next week. IT admins can rest easy though, as Microsoft isn't automatically upgrading commercial customers through Windows Update.

As we've covered in earlier previews of the next-generation Edge browser, you can look forward to significantly faster browsing performance, better overall security, and a slew of helpful new features, like an Internet Explorer mode for compatibility with older web apps. Collections, a feature that lets you gather information from web pages and organize them into easily shareable documents, unfortunately won't be available for the Edge relaunch, but the company says it'll likely be ready in six to eight weeks. (You can still test that out in the Edge beta channel.)
    Coral is Google’s quiet initiative to enable AI without the cloud - The Verge

AI allows machines to carry out all sorts of tasks that used to be the domain of humans alone. Need to run quality control on a factory production line? Set up an AI-powered camera to spot defects. How about interpreting medical data? Machine learning can identify potential tumors from scans and flag them to a doctor.

But applications like this are useful only so long as they’re fast and secure. An AI camera that takes minutes to process images isn’t much use in a factory, and no patient wants to risk the exposure of their medical data if it’s sent to the cloud for analysis.

These are the sorts of problems Google is trying to solve through a little-known initiative called Coral.

Hey, don't worry about it, man. You post when you can.

As to Edge, I've been using the Dev builds for a while and like it. It's the only Chromium-based browser I've tried that knows how to handle Windows high-contrast. That's a big plus for me.

So Google is trying to do more AI on the device. That seems smart, as there's a lot of computing power available now. Sure, you could do more with AI in the cloud, but for purpose-specific stuff like facial recognition, it doesn't need to leave the device.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

This could be interesting and seeing it using the Chromium core and access to the google ad ons it could be a thing to look in but its not something I would roll out to any environments that I manage or managed. Users are idiots after all. And I herd my idiot children towards Brave most of the time.

Still its nice to see a default browser from MS that will actually support the native suite of google apps. No longer worry about people thinking internet explorer is Chrome. (oh who am i kidding its still going to happen)

I'm all for more Ai. Its a field I find super interesting.
      Moya's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Moya View Post
        This could be interesting and seeing it using the Chromium core and access to the google ad ons it could be a thing to look in but its not something I would roll out to any environments that I manage or managed. Users are idiots after all. And I herd my idiot children towards Brave most of the time.

Still its nice to see a default browser from MS that will actually support the native suite of google apps. No longer worry about people thinking internet explorer is Chrome. (oh who am i kidding its still going to happen)

I'm all for more Ai. Its a field I find super interesting.
        Hi! I haven't had a chance to meet you, I joined at about 2014 myself. O.O

Comment

I took a 6 year sabbatical in mid 2014 lol.
          Moya's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Moya View Post
            I took a 6 year sabbatical in mid 2014 lol.
            So I see!

At any rate, welcome back!

Comment

Working...
            X