Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’ve Been Brewing Espresso All Wrong

Materials Scientists Learn We’ve Been Brewing Espresso All Wrong - VICE

For many of us, coffee is whatever the barista hands us in the morning or (gasp) comes out of an office Keurig. But when science turns its gaze inward at the bitter ambrosia, the results are spectacular. The fluid dynamics of spilled coffee. The physics of latte art. Have we reached the scientific pinnacle of coffee knowledge? Not even close, according to a new study.

In contrast to national espresso guidelines, the study recommends using a coarser grind and less coffee to get the most bang for your beans without sacrificing taste. The study, which was published on Wednesday in the journal Matter, mathematically modeled the process of espresso grinding before implementing their suggestions at Tailored Coffee Roasters in Eugene, Oregon.

“We're not trying to take away the art and the craft of coffee,” said Christopher Hendon, a senior author of the study and a materials chemist at the University of Oregon. “We're simply playing the supporting role, saying that once you find that beverage you like, here's an avenue for you to achieve that every time.”
    This was the article I decided to post separately.

So with this method you get a stronger coffee and it takes less time? Will the miracles of science never cease?!
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I got my sister in, and... well, she's convinced that those scientists don't know what they're talking about.

She's a barista-trained coffee snob, so yeah...I think I believe her.
      Arratra's Signature
      Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

I guess the proof would be in the tasting. The thing of it is, nobody likes to be told they've been doing something wrong for years. So I like to look of the facts of what they found and go from there. I'd say, Arratra you should have her read over the study and try it. The way I see it, the only wrong way to make coffee is Instant. This could just be another technique.
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
          I guess the proof would be in the tasting. The thing of it is, nobody likes to be told they've been doing something wrong for years. So I like to look of the facts of what they found and go from there. I'd say, Arratra you should have her read over the study and try it. The way I see it, the only wrong way to make coffee is Instant. This could just be another technique.
          Plus, tastes vary. One persons "wrong way" is another persons "I like this".

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
            Plus, tastes vary. One persons "wrong way" is another persons "I like this".
            With the exception of Instant coffee. That's just wrong no matter how you slice it.
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

The issue with rough-ground coffee is that it's nigh impossible to avoid under-infusion, which results in weak coffee, and a lack of flavour nuance.

If they've found some way of reliably managing it? Well, I'll be surprised.
              Arratra's Signature
              Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

The report seems to imply that they did. I don't have a commercial grinder and brewer, so I wouldn't be able to try it, though.
                Daryn's Signature

Comment

That's not going to be a machine that's going to be available any time soon, then. Not in peoples' homes.
                  Arratra's Signature
                  Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Regarding this thread: I didn't know people took coffee this seriously!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
                      Regarding this thread: I didn't know people took coffee this seriously!
                      Oh, people really do. Coffee, Beer, Wine, all things that people get very serious about. I'm not super into it, I just do drip coffee and the occasional K-Cup. Some folks, though. Well, they have some serious coffee brewing rigs.
                      Daryn's Signature

Comment

If you ask me, this if anything, is just a tweak. Coffee is always made best when made the way you like it.

That's always been my experience.
                        Little Rick's Signature
                        Site Director and Head Administrator
                        Any questions or concerns, please feel free to address them to me in PM, any time.
                        My F-List
                        My FurAffinity

"When a man swims in a sea of the expectations of others, a man can drown in that sea." - Al'Lan Mandragoran - From the book 'A New Spring' by Robert Jordon

Comment

Working...
                        X