What should VBulletin's theme song be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should VBulletin's theme song be?

Since the upstream company still hasn't fixed the avatar problem I can only conclude that the VBulletin corporation is full of incompetent boobs. Should their theme song be..

Benny Hill Theme

Twelfth Street Rag

Domestic Fun (a)

I Hate You

Or something else? You decide!

P.S. Made this thread for fun, the idea came to me when I was looking over the forum bugs part of the forum.
    The Benny Hill Theme
    25.00%
    Twelfth Street Rag
    0%
    Domestic Fun (a)
    0%
    I Hate You
    50.00%
    Something else (specify in response)
    25.00%
    Rusakov's Signature
    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

I nominate this.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

After a bit of deliberation, I cast my vote for I Hate You.

Because the VB company is pretty much saying "I hate you, screw you!" to their customers with this crap.
      Last edited by Rusakov; 05-06-2018, 03:24 PM. Reason: Better gramar and blame where it actually belongs.
      Rusakov's Signature
      "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

I honestly think that vBulletin may have just bitten off more than it could chew, by trying to make version 5. They just didn't have the technical expertise to completely pull it off. That they would try without it, is what is most worrying. That they would try it at all, is kind of infuriating.

They had something that worked and worked well in version 3. We used that version for years in another site we were running. They had something that worked well in version 4, too. We used that version for this site for several years. And that was kind of what vBulletin was about - good software that just worked. It did its job; it presented a good and stable platform for websites like ours, and was easy for administrators to setup and customize. That was sort of their brand. It was what people like us went to them for.

But now we have version 5. It isn't the same kind of software versions 3 and 4 were. 5 has features and functions that are simply not what vBulletin is. It's bulletin board software that tries to be something other than vbulletin software. It has functions now for connecting to other social media. It has new fangled effects that, in our opinion, just really aren't necessary for a bulletin board system to function properly. But in an attempt to stay in with the curve of bulletin board software, Daryn and I decided to get it. Because yeah, we're serious about running our bulletin board forums. But now that we have it... well, let's just say it is a love/hate relationship we have with it.

It's been out going on 6 years now. Or is it 7? I'm not entirely sure. Daryn would have more details on this. But however long it's been, and it's been a long time, they still have a bug list from its owners (people like us) that will yet take them several years to completely address.

Here's a fun fact. Daryn and I actually bought version 5 back about 4 years ago. Yeah, it's been that long ago. We bought it because we had aspirations for making a more mainstream kind of website. It was to be a discussion forum for the trucking industry in America. But the software worked so poorly, that we were forced to abandon the idea. Then it was three more years before it worked well enough for us to decide to go ahead and upgrade this site with it.

Because yeah, you can't get refunds from vBulletin after you've bought their software. And I paid about $180 US for it. So we had to pretty much try to use it for something. But don't get us wrong. We didn't decide to just dump it on you guys because we had to use it or just be out the money, but because it actually did work well enough by then for us to decide to go on and upgrade to it. And it does work well. Sort of. The avatars are still a problem, but for the rest, it does pretty much what it's supposed to now.

As to the avatars, the reason they're as poor as they are, is because the software converts them. It does this so it can shrink and grow them dependent upon what kind of device one is viewing the forums on. For instance, if you ever view our site on a smartphone, the avatars actually look pretty nice. View them on a Windows computer though, and they look grainy and slightly out of focus. This is a bug which has the most requests from users. And it's been a request that dates back years. I think it is actually an issue that vBulletin won't be able to fix without having to rewrite the whole software package. It is the only explanation which makes sense, otherwise, it stands to reason that they'd have fixed such a glaring problem long before now.

It all boils down to this. vbulletin tried to make software that oohed and wowed. They shouldn't have. They should have just kept on focusing on what they'd always done best. Simply making good bulletin board software.
        Rick Canaan's Signature
        A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
          Snip
          I see.

And don't worry, I wasn't accusing you or Daryn of any wrongdoing.

Rusakov's Signature

Comment

I agree with Rick on most of this, there is one point I don't agree on. Looking at the pending issues, vBulletin has a problem with priorities. They push out new releases with new features and functionality, but ignore many of the things that people complain about. This is actually why many of the original developers of vBulletin went to form Xenforo after vBulletin was purchased by Internet Brands. The philosophy changed, and that's what's causing the issues. Even their own current developers are complaining about this to some degree. That Who's Online bug was reported by Mark B. a vB developer in 2013. It's a minor issue sure, but when you have a lot of these minor issues, you end up with a "death by a thousand cuts" type of situation. The software ends up feeling unpolished because these minor details aren't addressed.

I'm not the only one saying this now, so perhaps they will take a few releases and go back into the issue queue and start nailing those bugs. It will make everyone who uses vBulletin's lives better and makes vBulletin itself look more polished and refined.
            Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
            X