Off to Malta!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to Malta!

Hi all! Just a little update to let you know that I'll be jetting off to Malta tomorrow for my brother's stag do! I'll be away for 4 days, and... may need the 5th day to recover >_>

Try not to burn the place down while I'm gone!

Have fun! And good luck to your brother on getting hitched.
    Rusakov's Signature
    "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Been there, myself. Though for me, it was back in the 80s. You'll have to tell me how it is now.
      Rick Canaan's Signature
      A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
        Have fun! And good luck to your brother on getting hitched.
        Haha, thanks!

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
        Been there, myself. Though for me, it was back in the 80s. You'll have to tell me how it is now.
        I shall have a full report on your desk by the close of business, sir!

Comment

How was the trip, Slice?
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

It was great, thanks! I got rather a little bit too sozzled, and quite sunburnt, but otherwise it was fun! Some great pictures, I'll share a couple of them shortly.

Damn, though, it was hot! Never cooled down, not even in the dead of night.

On the last day we rented speedboats and sped around the island, that was great fun!

Unfortunately I got ill on the way back, and am only just shaking that off now. Probably lowered my immune system with too many drinks and too little sleep!

Comment

Awww...

Gives Slice a nice ice pack for his aching head.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

*Gives slice some cool water*

Being sick is no fun (I should know) rest up! :3
                Rusakov's Signature
                "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

Aww, cheers guys! And have you been feeling ill as well, Rusakov? Hope you're saving some of that cool water for yourself!

Comment

Haha! But seriously, Slice, I think it's great that you had a good time! Despite getting a bit too drunk and a bit too much sun, I'm hoping the marriage went off well. Sounds it from the way you've described things!

As for myself, I was near Malta a couple of times. I was stationed on a destroyer for a while back in the 80s that did a joint patrol with the British Navy. That was back in the early 80s. From what I was able to see of it, it was a beautiful island, always wondering what it might be like to take liberty there.

But god, hot? Yes. But one can expect that being that near to the Equator.

Oh and a random thought. Do any of you remember the movie The Spy Who Loved Me? I think part of that was filmed on Malta. But also on Palau. That's a town on the northern coast of Sardinia. I was stationed there for a while, too, our ship docked to the island of Santo Stefano, which was right across the bay from Palau. Either way, I stood right on that same dock where Roger Moore drove that little submarine Lotus into the water. I missed the actual event by a few years, as I was there in the 80s and the film came out in the late 70s, but it was something the citizens there were very proud of. They had a bill board there, in Italian of course, touting the event and when it had taken place there.

Meh, either way, that whole region is steeped in history and culture. And beautiful. I can remember a lot of breathtaking sights. I've seen the Rock of Gibraltar, been to London, to a few cities in Germany and all over Spain and Italy. All of the wonders of taking leave in Europe!

Have lots of adventures, Slice. They'll be memories you'll treasure forever. And make sure to have as many as you can while you're still young.
                    Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Oh, I didn't realise you used to be in the navy, Rick! Sounds like you've seen a lot of wonderful places! (Gibraltar was a little run down last time I went there, and made me a little ashamed because I think it's an afterthought for our government, but naturally it's a beautiful location).

Malta was indeed beautiful. I'll share a couple of pictures once I've copied them over from my phone. I know it's not the first thing everyone will think of, but there was a cave that was just magnificent. We rented out some speedboats and got right to the mouth of it, and then swam inside. That was quite something!

I'd have enjoyed getting more into the history of the place, but as I'm sure you can understand, the general mood of the group was less on history and more on booze! If I ever go back there I'll be sure to check out some more of the historic locations. I'm very fond of castles, forts and battlements, and I spied a fair few of them as we were sailing around the island.

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
                        Aww, cheers guys! And have you been feeling ill as well, Rusakov? Hope you're saving some of that cool water for yourself!
                        No. But I've been sick plenty of times in my life. x_x
                        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
                          No. But I've been sick plenty of times in my life. x_x
                          Hah, all the more reason to look after yourself when you get that way! Can't keep running on empty forever

Feel better soon!

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post

Hah, all the more reason to look after yourself when you get that way! Can't keep running on empty forever

Feel better soon!
                            Thank you. But I'm not sick, I just know how it feels like because I've been sick a ton of times in my life.
                            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
                            X