Off to Download Festival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to Download Festival

Just a quick post to let everyone know that I'll be unavailable until Monday, because I'm trotting off to Download, the heavy metal festival, this weekend. It is incredibly rainy and I am looking forward to sitting in puddles feeling sorry for myself for days one end

Try not to jettison the place into space while I'm gone!

Don't miss Slayer on Sunday. It's the last year they're touring!
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

So I'm back now, as you might have guessed from a few posts earlier today. Thanks for the pointer, Daryn, but unfortunately I ended up leaving on Sunday morning before Slayer's set - we'd gone as a stag do, and the stag had a family emergency. A very serious one, sadly, so we ended the weekend there.

I did happen to see a couple of bands that might be of interest to folks here, though. One is entirely made up of furries, or as close as you can get at a heavy metal festival. They're called Man With A Mission. I'd never come across them before, but they all wear and perform in wolf masks, apparently not taking them off even during interviews. I'd taken a video of them performing so that I could show people here, but it's 210mb, so I'll just link to one of their YouTube music videos;

They seem to take the wolf angle pretty seriously. In one of their interviews they referred to themselves as "half-human and half-wolf", and when Karrang asked them what they'd be doing if not making music, the lead singer replied "Probably running around in the wilderness like other wolves". Then, when asked the follow up of "what if you weren't wolves", he said "Actually we were born like this, so I can't really imagine that".

I find it pretty exciting to see that pretty firm 'furry' angle being brought into something that... might not be "mainstream", but is certainly widely another avenue towards mainstream acceptance of the fandom.

Also, on a slightly lesser extent, Skindred (who are almost definitely not furries) do now have an anthro-cat mascot, featured a great video here:

Despite the sound of it, they're a good ol' British band! The lead singer is from Wales (or Whales, as Donald Trump might refer to it as )

Comment

Aww, sorry to hear that things didn't work out and you had to leave early.

I have to hand it to Man With a Mission for their commitment to maintaining kayfabe. Listening to that song, though, well I was in up to the point where it went rap-rock. Nothing ruins metal more than mixing it with rap, despite what success Linkin Park had doing that.

Skindred, though, yeah, definitely more my style.

Now, here's one for you.

I was introduced to this band about a year ago and I've been hooked. That one is from their third album.

Enjoy!
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
          I have to hand it to Man With a Mission for their commitment to maintaining kayfabe. Listening to that song, though, well I was in up to the point where it went rap-rock. Nothing ruins metal more than mixing it with rap, despite what success Linkin Park had doing that.
          Aah, see that's definitely where we differ, haha! I really love the rap/metal mix when it's done well. In fact, when I saw Man With A Mission live, I text my friend to say they had a bit of a Linkin Park vibe to them, so he should check them out! I'm also a huge fan of Hollywood Undead (or... a huge fan of most of their songs. They have some that are a bit cringe-worthy). When it's done right I think it's absolutely fantastic, and both genres benefit from the mix!

Also, thanks for the Battle Beast link! That was enjoyable, I'll look into some more of their stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X