After On

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After On

I finished this book today and thought that I would recommend it to you all. If you're interested in Quantum Physics, Synthetic Biology, Artificial Super Inelligence, and other fun technology you'll want to check this one out.

https://after-on.com/

It's about a social networking app that gains sentience due to Quantum Computing. It then does what any sentient social network would do, hook people up. Oh, and also nearly causing a global nuclear war.

Yeah, Phluttr is not exactly the brightest AI, but she is a lot of fun.
    Daryn's Signature

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
    It's about a social networking app that gains sentience due to Quantum Computing. It then does what any sentient social network would do, hook people up. Oh, and also nearly causing a global nuclear war.
    Haha, what an interesting combination of things! XD

I take it there's a bit of humour to this book then? Maybe a bit Hitchhiker's Guide, or if less blatant than that, something like Jennifer Government?
    SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

I guess there's a bit of Hitchhiker's Guide in there. The thing with this book is that it challenges you actually dares you to finish it at the beginning. The reason for this becomes clear within the first 50 or so pages when the author throws all kinds of seemingly unconnected things into play. These are thngs that don't pay off until later in the book, but boy do they pay off.

I highly encourage anyone to check the Audiobook out, as the production is excellent and all the readers do a great job.
      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Hmmm! I haven't read this one yet. I'll put it on my to-get list.

Speaking of A.I.s gone rampant, have you read any of Daniel Suarez's offerings? He wrote a two-book series about just this very thing--except the A.I. in his story basically started taking over the whole word. Except in his book, it started taking it over for the betterment of mankind. Quite awesome, if also immensely chilling reads.

Daemon and FreedomTM are the titles. If you're into A.I. stuff, these're sure to get your juices flowing!
        Taun's Signature
        I am NOT the one who put hoofprints on grandma's forehead! So leave OFF already! K? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Taun View Post
          Daemon and FreedomTM are the titles. If you're into A.I. stuff, these're sure to get your juices flowing!
          Oh yes, I've read both of those, as well as all of Suarez's works. He's really a very talented, very detail-minded writer. Okay, Influx was not his best work. It was decent but not as good as the three books he did before.

As to After On, well, this story is about the creation of the AI and what it does. It's kind of like a biography in a way, only with hilarious Amazon reviews. See there's a lot of stuff in there that doesn't make sense initially, but Rob Reid pays everything off in an excellent ending. It's a little creepy and also somehow comforting.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X