Oathbringer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oathbringer

I'd just like to let everyone know that Oathbringer, the third book of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is now out. If you don't see me around the forums too much for the next few days, then that's why. I'm only about 7% through the book so far, but it's starting out really awesome! There's quite the acknowledgement section at the beginning, but after that, it's like returning home!

What's that you say? You haven't heard of The Stormlight Archive? Well, you might want to jump in now.
    Daryn's Signature

The Stormlight Archive - the fantasy epic of which Oathbringer is the third book - is a sensational series. In the first book, you get to sit and watch what amounts to a crystal palace being built piece by painstaking piece, the world Brandon begins his creation of in it, nothing short of stupendous. The characters are nothing short of wonderful, the world he populates with them one of the most unique I have ever experienced in any fantasy series. Then the second book expands on that world, it unfolding explanations that brings depth to the concepts that were introduced in the first book.

The heroes are fantastic. The antagonists (especially Szeth) are unlike any I have ever before read. Do yourself the favor and check these books out.

The Way of Kings
    Words of Radiance

and out just this week:
    Oathbringer

I've read many fantasy novels in my 53 years, and no few series. Most all of them were good, some of them even great. But the Stormlight Archive... the only word which does justice to it in my mind, is majesty.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
    Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Oh... I'll be mindfull of those books then. It is hard to find a decent book, especially that books are not exactly cheap. Could you tell us a bit more about the story and the world of the novels, without spoiling anything? What's their theme?
      Terrapun's Signature
      "A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it."
      Stanisław Lem "The Futurological Congress"

"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
      xkcd

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
        The heroes are fantastic. The antagonists (especially Szeth)
        I hope you'll finish listening to Edgedancer before you start on Oathbringer, though. Szeth does appear in that, but he's a minor character. What happens at the end of that though may change the dynamic of Szeth's character. I'm not sure yet, as he hasn't appeared in Oathbringer so far, but it's something I'm thinking on.
        Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Terrapun View Post
          Oh... I'll be mindfull of those books then. It is hard to find a decent book, especially that books are not exactly cheap. Could you tell us a bit more about the story and the world of the novels, without spoiling anything? What's their theme?
          There are many themes and concepts that occur throughout the books. You'l learn about the class structure pretty early on. The Alethi class system is based on eye-color. Light-eyes are the world's nobility, Dark-eyes are the commoners. The story starts out with the assassination of the king, which branches off into multiple perspectives. The world is populated with Spren, which are, well, they're Spren. Think of them like manifestations of things for now. There's far more to it than what I'm aying but I don't want this post to be too long.

Magic is also quite unique in this world, as it is multi-faceted. Everything revolves around Stormlight though, which is a form of energy that the inhabitants of Roshar store inside of gems. Highstorms that blow through the land infuse these gems with Stormlight, so even though those storms can be pretty destructive, they can also be useful.

The first form of magic you'll come across is Soulcasting. A process that lets someone convert one material to another at the cost of infused stormlight. They use this to do things like change wood into stone, for buildings, among other things.

There really is a whole lot to this book, and as Rick said, the characters are fantastic. I hope you've got a library near you where you might check them out. It's so worth it. If you want more details, check out The Stormlight Wiki.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

I'm about 55% of the way through the book now. I'm still loving every minute of it. won't go into spoilers here, but I'll say a couple of general things. There are a lot of things at the start of the chapters that don't seem to make much sense at first, but just keep them in mind and eventually as the book progresses the vignettes from earlier snap into focus. I really love that about Brandon's writing. There's also the interludes that have been in the series since the beginning. They're present here too, though to be fair, they are much shorter than they were in the last book. No less significant, but more concise. I really do like that.

How far are you guys so far?
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

I'm finally done! That was amazing! That last quarter of the book was really intense. So many things have been answered now, but just as I thought I was coming to grips with everything Brandon adds in an entirely new layer.
              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
              X