Persepolis Rising, Book 7 of the Expanse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persepolis Rising, Book 7 of the Expanse

So my boyfriend got me the hard copy as a birthday gift, and I'm currently storming my way through it. I know we got a few Expanse readers here, so anyone else working it?

My first slightly spoilery observation may be coloring my impressions of the book though

Dusty's Signature
    IC Character Sheet

I've not read the latest yet. I'm waiting on my Audible credits to come in this month and then I can get caught up. Looking forward to it though. I reallly enjoyed all the other Expanse books so far.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Remind me to read the books once they are released into Poland. When it comes to books in English, it is pretty much expensive deal. For 40 PLN, I'd rather have a physical copy, but getting those from eBay are even more expensive.

P.S. This also reminds me I need to get Codyverse going.

Comment

Alright finished it up! Say Daryn is there no spoiler function yet? I got a lot of stuff to spoil xD
        Dusty's Signature
        IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
          Alright finished it up! Say Daryn is there no spoiler function yet? I got a lot of stuff to spoil xD
          Oh yeah, there's a spoiler function. There's no button for it on the toolbar but you can do:

HTML Code:
          [SPOILER]Some Stuff[/SPOILER]
          Which will do this.
          Open ContentSPOILER
          Some Stuff

Or:

HTML Code:
          [SPOILER=Some Stuff]Some other stuff.[/SPOILER]
          Which will do this.
          Open ContentSome Stuff

Some Stuff

Some other stuff.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Thanks!

Open ContentBook Discussion

Book Discussion

So Duarte sees himself a God Emperor from consuming specialized serums made from the Proto Molocule. That's pretty crazy. I'm worried about his long term mental health, especially since he is apparently a telepath now. Making a Military Fascist Empire with a single ruler is already a tricky proposition, even more so when your leader seems to have delusions of Grandeur. Make no mistakes, he has delusions. The logic Duarte uses sounds fine, but its ultimately circular and betrays his bias towards autocratic centralized rule over decentralized community based rule. He argues that the development of Protomolecule based technology like The Tempest was inevitable so he built it first. But that's simple not true. The EMC and the Trade Union had plenty of proto-tech available to them, but cultural experience (Eres, the super soldier missiles, the near extinction of Earth) has resulted in a union of otherwise disparate interests that, while not collectively ruled by any one party, has made strides in establishing a peaceful and cooperative society that doesn't build protomolecule super weapons. So you don't need an autocrat's direction and a fascist ideology to shape a mutually beneficial society.

I like the way Holden put it while being interrogated. "Every time someone starts talking about final anythings in politics, that means the atrocities are warming up. Humanity has done amazing things by just muddling through, arguing and complaining and fighting and negotiating. It's messy and undignified but its when we're at our best...."
            Dusty's Signature
            IC Character Sheet

Comment

Working...
            X