LitRPG - what's that even?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LitRPG - what's that even?

Have you heard about something like LitRPG? That's a wholly new thing to me, I just found it now.

LitRPG, short for Literary Role Playing Game, is a literary genre combining the conventions of MMORPGs with science-fiction fantasy novels.[1] LitRPG is a literary genre where games or game-like challenges form an essential part of the story. A LitRPG work simultaneously narrates the story of characters inside and outside of the game-world. At least some of the characters in a LitRPG novel therefore understand that they are playing a game: they are 'meta-aware'. So, while Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel, a book about people creating avatars and interacting in a Lord of the Rings MMORPG would be a LitRPG novel.[2]

Huh. I've seen a similar concept before, but I wasn't aware that it was spreading. Cool.
    Arratra's Signature
    Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Hm, I'm not 100% sure I follow that description, but it sounds interesting. I did see a Reddit Writing Prompt that seemed to match up with this form: [WP] Write about a famous historical event as if it was played out as a DnD session : WritingPrompts

And my response to it is here; Writing Prompt response - Major historical event as D&D session : JRHEvilInc

Is that the general idea, or am I missing something that would make it LitRPG?
      SliceOfDog's Signature
      My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Working...
      X