Rage 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rage 2

Here's a game that I didn't think would get a sequel.

Rick Canaan I think you might like this.
    Daryn's Signature

Commander Daryn SkyStrike
    Ascenseon - The Avian Planet

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Seriously? It might be something to look forward to.

The first Rage was okay. It wasn't great. It was kind of fun, had a few cool moments, but it wasn't great. It was also the game that was the deciding factor in why John Carmack decided to get out of video game programming and leave id. He realized that while he was a great coder, he just didn't have the chops to make a game great. So, maybe with him out of the picture, and Bethesda behind the scenes, we might see a title in the genre as great as was DooM's remake.

Here's hoping. If it turns out to be as good as DooM's remake, then Rage 2 might indeed be something to look forward to.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Captain Richard S. Canaan
    Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
      The first Rage was okay. It wasn't great. It was kind of fun, had a few cool moments, but it wasn't great. It was also the game that was the deciding factor in why John Carmack decided to get out of video game programming and leave id. He realized that while he was a great coder, he just didn't have the chops to make a game great. So, maybe with him out of the picture, and Bethesda behind the scenes, we might see a title in the genre as great as was DooM's remake.
      The id Software that made Rage was also still owned by Bethesda, but it was at a really bad time for the company as a whole. This iteration of id though, they've got young, talented people as well as some skilled vets there. It seems like they're going for a Mad Max meets Borderlands type of vibe. I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but of id's old games, it's definitely the most surprising one to get taken up again. We'll see later this year too, as Bethesda doesn't announce games that are more than a few months out.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I tell you what, I loved the first Rage. I'm big into my post-apoc stuff, as you'll all well know, and Rage scratched an itch that Fallout never managed. It felt to me like Metro 2033 with the fun and zaniness cranked to 11. The feel of the combat was brilliant, and even though some elements were underdeveloped (the great mutant-killing game only had one level of a single difficulty, and the card game had the potential to be as enjoyable as the Witcher's Gwent, but lacked a couple of obvious mechanics), I felt it was brilliant for a first outing. They managed to make a number of minigames that were all playable, without detracting from the core mechanics and the absolutely gorgeous look of the world and characters.

I'm excited for this sequel, although I'm a tad concerned it'll take the direction of the Saints Row Games and think "They loved that fun, silly thing we did once. Let's make it 10 times bigger and have it be a core component of the storyline!".
        SliceOfDog's Signature
        My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
          I tell you what, I loved the first Rage. I'm big into my post-apoc stuff, as you'll all well know, and Rage scratched an itch that Fallout never managed. It felt to me like Metro 2033 with the fun and zaniness cranked to 11. The feel of the combat was brilliant, and even though some elements were underdeveloped (the great mutant-killing game only had one level of a single difficulty, and the card game had the potential to be as enjoyable as the Witcher's Gwent, but lacked a couple of obvious mechanics), I felt it was brilliant for a first outing. They managed to make a number of minigames that were all playable, without detracting from the core mechanics and the absolutely gorgeous look of the world and characters.

I'm excited for this sequel, although I'm a tad concerned it'll take the direction of the Saints Row Games and think "They loved that fun, silly thing we did once. Let's make it 10 times bigger and have it be a core component of the storyline!".
          I can see that. Rage would definitely be a nice scratch for folks with a post-apocalyptic itch, certainly. As it did pull off scenery from that genre really, really well.

The game as a whole, though, for folks like me, who have come to expect nothing but the best out of id, was a letdown. It was far too linear. It gave you side missions that were supposed to send you off exploring, but it didn't take a player long to find out that there really wasn't much exploring to be done. It was, as quite a few learned early on, easy to get lost, though.

The game did have several cool points going for it, though. The races were a blast. The desert fighting in the cars was a lot of fun, too. The mutant-killing arenas, in my opinion, were an unnecessary slog. And you had to go through them if you wanted money enough to buy decent weaponry earlier on in the game. Ask me, they should have left the mutant arena fighting out, and did more with the racing. And heck, for that matter, do something like what Blizzard did with Diablo 2 - create random map generation. This could have been implemented if you strayed off the game's course. And in these randomly generated areas, you could find monsters, probably even some really dangerous ones, but maybe a nice treasure chest or two here and there, too, and maybe even find a car someone left when they got killed by some monsters or something. Instead, they put in these little minigames, like that weird thing where you rolled and shot mutants as a sort of gambling thing and that weird card game.

I'm glad you liked the card game, Slice. I could never bring myself to understand it. And so, the card game came to me as a kind of WTF moment, and had me asking what the heck was it even doing in a game like this.

Also, were the bosses. Are you like, serious? The only boss which was marginally hard was that giant monster where you got the rocket launcher. I was able to get past it after only dying twice. And don't even get me started on the power plant boss. Bring your grenades, kiddies. Cause if you lob them in at the boss at the end of that level, he staggers, giving you time to throw another and then another, and to keep throwing them till he's dead, he never managing to get off a shot from being staggered. It was as bad as many of the boss-kill bugs that plagued the original Nintendo!

In my final analysis of the game, it was the result of a lack of real organization of its development staff, and instead was a victim of what I characterize as 'Too many cooks'. "Ooh! Let's put this in! I bet people will think it's cool!" sort of thing. There was too little leadership and vision in its development, and too much 'Let's throw this and that in there!'. There was too much filling, too many sprinkles on top, but simply put, not enough doughnut.
          Rick Canaan's Signature
          Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Despite the game's flaws though, I think we can all agree that Rage had 'something' there. We've ach pointed out some positive things about it. I particularly liked the setting and the sound design was excellent. So there was room for improvement, and hopefully, this new game will make those improvements. I just don't want them to turn it into a gungasm like Borderlands is.

Don't screw this up, id!
            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Oh, it wasn't a bad game. My only contention was, is that it wasn't up to id's usual standards. I expect a lot out of id, as I expect a lot of people who have come to love the game company do too. And Rage, given the technology available to id at the time, just wasn't up to the company's usual standards of excellence.

The one thing that id has had going for it from its inception, is that they made games that were fun. DooM was fun. Quake was fun, and now the new DooM was fun. You can see the change that went through id when John Romero left. A lot of the gaming company's fun went with him. For a very long time after that, from Quake2 all the way up through Rage, id was very hit and miss with all of its titles. They were finally able to revitalize their image with the new DooM.

What I'm saying is, is that Rage, while it wasn't an entire miss, it was nearly a miss. I am hoping, with this new talent id has now, the kind of talent that produced DooM, that the new Rage will be just as much as a smash as the revitalization that DooM was. A game that is not only visually striking, but an absolute blast to play, too.

I love id. It is my absolute favorite game company. I have bought every title they've ever produced. I've sat through some, deeply disappointed. What's happened to id, I'd ask myself. I asked it while playing Quake2, Quake3, the new Wolfenstein titles and Rage. But I always held my hope. id was once a great company. Whenever I bought their newest title, I'd say to myself, maybe this is it. The long disappointment was finally over with the remake of DooM. They raised their fans levels of expectations with it. Now, we're all kind of holding our breath with this new Rage title. Will id maintain the bar they set with the new DooM? Or will they disappoint again? Or as I hope, and doubtlessly many others do too, that id will raise the bar even higher with this newest title?

id set the standard for the first-person-shooter experience. They started the genre. That gives them a reputation to live up to. I hope in my heart of hearts that they'll live up to it with Rage 2.
              Rick Canaan's Signature
              Ranks Aboard Ship

Comment

Working...
              X