[E3.2018] Anthem Gameplay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[E3.2018] Anthem Gameplay

Well, it's E3 time again. Today was EA's presentation. I won't go through everything they showed off as a lot of it isn't really relevant to us. They closed off the show with about a half hour presentation on Anthem. This is the new Bioware game, a hybrid single-player/multiplayer action game. It looks pretty great and evokes a vibe of Phantasy Star Online. That's not a bad vibe to be evoking if you ask me. It looked rather good from what I could see, and is a big shift from what they showed of it last year.

I'll post other things that I think you guys would find relevant as the days go on.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

My main problem with Anthem is the EA logo on the box. I don't have any faith in them not to priortize profit over game quality and player satisifaction. The cycle of shitty corporatism followed by kiss and make up has gone too long, and I'm really hoping the public votes with their wallets and makes it clear that EA has burned people too many times.

Which is all a damn shame for the developers and artists whom I know poured their hearts and souls into this game. AAA gaming is just so toxic these days between micro-transactions, always online DRM, and skinner-box design making its way into absolutely every game released.
    Dusty's Signature
    IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty ;tn55897
      My main problem with Anthem is the EA logo on the box. I don't have any faith in them not to priortize profit over game quality and player satisifaction. The cycle of shitty corporatism followed by kiss and make up has gone too long, and I'm really hoping the public votes with their wallets and makes it clear that EA has burned people too many times.
      I'm not one to defend EA, but they definitely came to the show seems to have taken the Battlefront II disaster seriously. None of their games have loot boxes or premium passes. So Anthem does have the potential to be a really great game, but it's hard to put faith in them at this point. They have to really continue to support the game and back away from the predatory monetization for good. Then perhaps people will be able to start trusting them again. As it is now, it's a really weird time. It looks like they're making, or trying to make some good games, but the water's been poisoned.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
        I'm not one to defend EA, but they definitely came to the show seems to have taken the Battlefront II disaster seriously. None of their games have loot boxes or premium passes. So Anthem does have the potential to be a really great game, but it's hard to put faith in them at this point. They have to really continue to support the game and back away from the predatory monetization for good. Then perhaps people will be able to start trusting them again. As it is now, it's a really weird time. It looks like they're making, or trying to make some good games, but the water's been poisoned.
        Yeah, only time will tell. But EA is like an abusive relationship, they mess up then sweet talk you back, then do it again. It will take a long.... long time for me to purchase an EA that's not on sale.

Looking at the trajectory of the games industry though, its not hard to see why they act the way they do. Shareholders what quarter over quarter growth, new games have massive budgets, so they have to squeeze every penny possible out of the games they make. I don't know what, but I think something is going to have to change because from my perspective, the AAA games industry doesn't seem sustainable.
        Dusty's Signature
        IC Character Sheet

Comment

I only wish BioWare had balls like Everspace guys, as they initially were during negotiations with EA, but simply went "yeah, no, we'll do it ourselves".

But, EA Games is what is really wrong with gaming these days, just because - sorry Dusty - this is what people in the USA like. It seems that majority of American gaming simply allowed all kinds of pay content to be a fact, then developers/publishes hide behind damn "it's faster to make such content that way".

Not that it also influences the prices in Poland, for example. Spending 120 PLN on a game feels like spending $120. And I am not kidding (Terrapun can agree on that). But that's because most publishers simply ignore Poland as a market and refuse to adjust prices to the wages in here. Myself, a poor student, I barely make out 100 PLN from the university money for any form of entertainment (as rest is spent on tickets, meal, etc). Damn, I'm grateful not for moving out from our family house yet.

Assassin's Creed Origins cost around 259 PLN for Xbox One in here, when you peek at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by AlienBird View Post
            I only wish BioWare had balls like Everspace guys, as they initially were during negotiations with EA, but simply went "yeah, no, we'll do it ourselves".

But, EA Games is what is really wrong with gaming these days, just because - sorry Dusty - this is what people in the USA like. It seems that majority of American gaming simply allowed all kinds of pay content to be a fact, then developers/publishes hide behind damn "it's faster to make such content that way".

Not that it also influences the prices in Poland, for example. Spending 120 PLN on a game feels like spending $120. And I am not kidding (Terrapun can agree on that). But that's because most publishers simply ignore Poland as a market and refuse to adjust prices to the wages in here. Myself, a poor student, I barely make out 100 PLN from the university money for any form of entertainment (as rest is spent on tickets, meal, etc). Damn, I'm grateful not for moving out from our family house yet.

Assassin's Creed Origins cost around 259 PLN for Xbox One in here, when you peek at the store.
            its not even an American thing. Mobile and lootbox style games are successful in most markets. To the point that some like China have begun regulating the practice. You are right though, that consumers are at least somewhat at fault here. If there wasn't evidence backing up the idea that micro-transactions and DLC make money, you wouldn't see multi-billion dollar firms adding them to games. Part of it is the above mentioned desire for high annual growth, there's also the ballooning costs of development, and the greater degree of behavior modification that commercial products are able to include. Break it down, and most modern games are a skinner-box designed to make you grind with the option to spend money to bypass the grind. Sometimes you barely notice, other times its glaringly obvious ("Pride And Accomplishment"). And then there's the folks who spend money hand over fist on micro-transactions. A small percentage of players actually spend the vast majority of money on micro-transactions. i used to be one of them, I've spent probably 200 bucks on Elder Scrolls: Legends before I got a hold of myself. The sucky part is that we all pay for the sins of these folks, because we don't want to spend money like they do, we end up not getting the games we used too.
            Dusty's Signature
            IC Character Sheet

Comment

That's why I said I may be biased due to the fact the US market treats every single country in EU the same way, despite pretty violent wage gaps. Until, like, 2011 the WoW players were forced to pay $15 equivallent, so Polish players not only paid crapload of money, but also had to lose additional money during exchange. Nowadays... Well. The gaming didn't really become cheaper. The boxed versions (a.k.a. console games) are usually cheaper in Poland than the ones bought in the online store (e.g. Xbox Store) unless there's a major price cut by like 60-75% after year or two.

Something went really wrong in here. Game prices were ought to be lower with drifting away from physical copies. The AAA games (e.g. Shadow of War is way over 200 PLN in the standard version) are even more expensive in Poland than Nintendo titles, which (due to Czech Republic's distribution without actual Polish support) are usually around 170-190 PLN - and that's a lot of money already.

Spending 100 PLN in here sorta equals spending $100 in the US.

Comment

Working...
              X