Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 24 years, DOOM II's DOS version finally 100%'d.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 24 years, DOOM II's DOS version finally 100%'d.

Just wanted to drop this here as I thought it was pretty cool.

It’s secret No. 4 on Map 15 (Industrial Zone). Now, the area in question has been known, seen and accessed by other means (usually a noclip cheat code). Getting to it without a cheat appears to be deliberately impossible, according to Doom co-creator John Romero.

Romero tweeted out congratulations to the solution’s discoverer, Zero Master. Zero Master figured out that the way to trigger the secret was to be pushed into the secret area by an enemy (in this case, a Pain Elemental). Romero’s explanation shows that what has beenconsidered a glitch was instead deliberate.
    Doom 2’s impossible secret is discovered, 24 years later - Polygon
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

There is actually a way to get to that secret 'legally'. I don't remember how I did it now; it's been so many years. I do know there is a way to get to it, though.

What I do remember of it, it's back of the lava mote, and there's a linedef you cross that opens the door to the secret for a few seconds. Once you cross the linedef, you have to run around to the rear part of the mote before the door closes. If you time it just right, you can slip in under the door before it does close.

When you get it, the secret drops you into the first of two hidden levels. In them you fight in the original Wolfenstein levels, shooting the little Nazi SS guys and everything. Then there is a secret exit out of that level that drops you into the second secret level. A secret within a secret you might say. When you start the level, it says 'You better blaze through this one!' The boss for the level is the Cyberdemon, then to exit the level you have to shoot four Commander Keen figures.

id has been known for a long time, for burying secrets in their games that contain levels or callouts or artifacts from their previous games. They did it in Doom ll, then in Quake, then again in Rage. I don't remember if they did it in Quake ll. Knowing John Carmack, who hated secrets, there probably wasn't. Quake ll was made during id's dark years, where John Romero left id, and Carmack lorded over the making of Quake ll with an iron fist.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

It's worth watching the video that's linked in the article though, because it explains a lot. It turns out the last secret in Map 15 was deliberately made impossible to reach unless you did it this secific way. They had to change it in later patches because a lot of people were complaining that they couldn't find the last secret and that it must have been bugged. I like John Romero's explanation of how it was setup too. Might be something you could use in your own maps now that you know how it works.

What's coolest about this though, to me at least, is that the Doom source has been out for more than a decade. Everyone's seen everything there is to see, and yet this one survived all this time because it's the sort of secret that required you to exploit the way the game's mechanics worked to get to it.

Anyway, I thought you might find it kinda interesting to see how one person did it.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Well, knowing John Romero, the secret wasn't a deliberate bug, but a secret he and his team forgot to finalize. John Romero was a goof-off, liking playing the games more than working on them. It was what led to his firing from the id team right after the completion of the first Quake. From where he later went on to bilk upwards to $15-million from Sony and other gaming companies - who had financed him to make another game that would hopefully be a smash hit like Doom.

But I digress.

In the end, I think it's just something he just forgot, then later came back and said that it was deliberately made to be impossible. Right. Sounds like typical John Romero BS to me. He always was the king of the BSers, and lazy beyond belief when it came to doing actual work, and would try to use his fame to try and snow people about how lazy he actually was.
        Rick Canaan's Signature
        A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Working...
        X