Game Spotlight: Diablo III - Reaper of Souls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Spotlight: Diablo III - Reaper of Souls

With Halloween tomorrow, I thought I'd talk about a game that leans heavily on the Angels and Demons, I had a few to choose from, but I decided that Diablo III: Reaper of Souls would be the one to cover. For one thing, it's easily available. It's on just about every platform there is, so most of you should be able to get a hold of it and enjoy it. For another, it's a ton of fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	med_D3_X1_4_Player_AD_02 Resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	57479Originally released in 2012, Diablo III came out to mixed reviews. It was the first example of a game that was made worse by microtransaction and auction house mechanics. The chances of getting good loot were so minuscule, that you would either have to spend hours grinding just to get a set of gear that you could use to survive the Act boss, or you would have to go to the Auction House and spend either Gold or real money to buy items. Needless to say, the reaction to this was not positive at all. The game's lead designer was shuffled away to do something else, while his assistant stepped up to try to fix the game.

Thus went the next year of development with incremental changes. Loot got better, but the auction house was still there, and they eventually realized that with that thing still there, they would never have a fun and balanced game. So leading up to the release of Reaper of Souls, the Expansion pack, the auction house was axed. The expansion came out and added the new Loot 2.0 system, which was a massive improvement to the game. In it, you could get items that were actually useful for your character! I mean, what a concept, right?

The game would then end up coming out with all of these changes on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, joining the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Since the expansion though, the game hasn't ever stopped coming out. Blizzard has continued to add to it. With Seasonal events, special throwback events where you could go and play a replica of the original Diablo inside of Diablo III, and the release of another character: The Necromancer. They have kept the game fresh and gone as far as to add new areas to the existing acts, which is something that usually doesn't happen with a game like this.

So what is it? Well, for those unfamiliar, it's a top-down action-RPG where you choose a character class and fight your way through hordes of demons. As with all Blizzard games, the production value is top notch, with epic cinematics, good voice-acting, and an excellent soundtrack to really set the mood. It's also a rare instance where I feel the consoles fare better, as on console you have direct control over your character, whereas on the PC you click around the screen to make them move about. Both ways work fine, but I personally prefer the direct control method.

Click image for larger version

Name:	med_D3_x1_PS4_Destruction_AD_02 Resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	57480The game now features seven character classes. The Barbarian, Demon Hunter, Monk, Witch Doctor, Wizard, Crusader, and Necromancer. Each class plays very differently, so if you prefer an up-close style, you can go with the Barbarian or Monk. If you like to slay your enemies without ever seeing them you can go with the Demon Hunter or Wizard. If you like staying out of the way and having minions do your bidding, the Witch Doctor or Necromancer may be for you. The Crusader, well, they're very much a well-rounded type class, capable of doing damage both up close and at a distance.

As you progress, you'll level up and earn new skills. If you're new to the game, these skills will take up specific slots. You can only have one skill from each category. However, if you turn on the game's "Elective Mode" this lets you put whatever skill you want into each of the slots, even if they are from the same category. So if you find two skills you like from the same category that you want to use, you can.

The game features five acts in the main campaign. Once you complete the campaign, the Open mode will unlock, and that's where the game's new content is. Here, you can complete bounties, earn more loot, test you mettle in the various types of Rifts, or go toe-to-toe with other players in the Arena. The amount of stuff that is now crammed into this game is amazing.

So, there's a quick look at Diablo III. It's available now on the PC, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Switch. It's a great game to play on Halloween. I'm also looking forward to what Blizzard may have to reveal for Diablo at Blizzcon soon.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob
Working...
X