Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mech Warrior 5 Mercenaries confirmed release date of September 19th...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mech Warrior 5 Mercenaries confirmed release date of September 19th...

At least according to the Mech Warrior Online subreddit. Apparently, it was announced on a stream, but the VOD is an entire event reel from MechCon so haven't been able to find it yet xD 4 player co-op is confirmed though!

To tide you over, here's a new Trailer:

I'm still cautiously hopeful. I've been enjoying MWO quite a bit and I'm hoping for some good single-player action. The only bittersweet thing about Mech Warrior 5 to me is my favorite mech likely will not in it at launch. RIP Bushwacker.... best chicken walker
    Dusty's Signature
    IC Character Sheet

Well, Rick Canaan now you've got a timeframe for that ew computer.

I get the sense that Pirinhaare taking care not to mess this one up. They didn't rush the ame out to met a holiday launch schedule, instead choosing time to bake it some more. It's also going to be coming about about a year after Geforce RTX "launched" so it's possible this game will be a good one for Raytracing and a possible second gen of RTX.

So MWO actually got better? When I tried it it was a real grindfest that wasn't particularly fun.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      Well, Rick Canaan now you've got a timeframe for that ew computer.

I get the sense that Pirinhaare taking care not to mess this one up. They didn't rush the ame out to met a holiday launch schedule, instead choosing time to bake it some more. It's also going to be coming about about a year after Geforce RTX "launched" so it's possible this game will be a good one for Raytracing and a possible second gen of RTX.

So MWO actually got better? When I tried it it was a real grindfest that wasn't particularly fun.

Well, I would still say the grind to get started is definitely one of MWO's downsides. Bare in mind I only started play 6 months ago, and apparently, the game systems have seen several major changes so I might get some of the details wrong. They replaced skill modules and the rule of 3 with a generic skill tree for each mech you own. You earn XP based on your performance each match, then spend those points to buy nodes in the skill tree. The nodes are largely small stat increases. For example, if you take all the cooldown nodes in the firepower tree your weapon cooldowns are lowered by roughly 10%. If you take all the max speed nodes your mech has an 8% faster max speed. The problem with this system is you average like 1 skill point a match and the maximum amount for a mech is 91. Some nodes like armor and structure bonuses give upwards of 30% more armor over baseline. You do earn generic XP which can be spent on any mech, but it's at like 10% of the speed of regular XP. You can also use MC, the premium currency, to convert mech-specific XP to generic XP. They give out small amounts of MC pretty frequently through events, so that can also take the edge off the grind. The skill tree is without a doubt my biggest complaint about the game. Getting a new mech, while possibly exciting, does mean you're going to have to build another skill tree. Real world money can speed-up the process, but not really skip it. Folks have been asking for it to be changed, but PGI has been pretty slow on MWO content/updates. No doubt because they're focused on MW5, so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

If, and I understand this is a big if, you can get past that, the game can be pretty fun. I joined a Faction Play unit recently, that has revitalized my experience. They have starter challenges now that give you enough C-bills to buy and fully outfit a mech if you spend it right. And they are advertising this:

Two Mechs, a bunch of in-game currencies, and random goodies isn't bad for logging in and playing one match x3
      Dusty's Signature
      IC Character Sheet

Comment

I tried playing this game, MWO on two separate occasions. I uninstalled it both times, regarding the game as just disk space wasted.

And for the reasons you stated, Dusty. You can either pay to play, or go through that grind - getting your backside kicked, quick, in every match you play, unless you're willing to pony up some real-world cash to get the better mechs. And get your backside kicked quick, by the people who had caved in and paid. Or by rich kids with as much of their daddy's money they care to spend.

The game was cool looking, otherwise. Way cool looking. But this aspect of 'Pay-to-Play' or 'Do-the-Grind' business overshadowed it for me, no matter how cool it looked. It was a game I learned to hate. Quickly. Very quickly.

I am hoping that the single-player version is going to be all that we hope for. I don't mind paying a sum a developer asks for a game I want. $60 or whatever. If it's a game that is wanted, pay the asking price and be done with it. I've bought many games that way, and will likely be buying more that way, too. I will not, however, under any circumstances, permit myself to get sucked into this 'Pay-to-Play' 'Freemium' nonsense. It's greed, pure and simple, and I just won't have any of it, not ever. I won't do business with EA games anymore, either, no matter what titles they may release in the future. They've proven themselves again and again, to be the epitome of greed, me getting my first taste of it with Plants Vs Zombies 2 - a sequel to one of my most favorite games ever. EA completely and utterly ruined it for me with their 'Freemium' money-grabbing ways.

I dislike it so much, that I am reluctant to even look forward to the game we're discussing here. I am so turned off by this model that I chafe at the thought of buying anything from a company that practices it. I dislike it that much. I very much really do.
        Rick Canaan's Signature
        A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
          The only bittersweet thing about Mech Warrior 5 to me is my favorite mech likely will not in it at launch. RIP Bushwacker.... best chicken walker
          Indeed. I believe this game takes place during the 3020s (I think actually before the Helm cache is uncovered), and, sadly, the Bushwacker won't be made for a fair while.

Which is a bit of a shame; it's one of the best Mediums in MWO.

Speaking of MWO; I don't really mind the grind so much, since I enjoy just stomping around in a giant robot.
          Arratra's Signature
          Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post

Indeed. I believe this game takes place during the 3020s (I think actually before the Helm cache is uncovered), and, sadly, the Bushwacker won't be made for a fair while.

Which is a bit of a shame; it's one of the best Mediums in MWO.

Speaking of MWO; I don't really mind the grind so much, since I enjoy just stomping around in a giant robot.
            Indeed! As legitimate the complaints about the skill tree are, not having them doesn't mean you can't be effective or don't have fun. Especially when you're just starting off and most of your fellow players are in the same boat. Its when you're already well into tier 2 and trying to level a mech against a bunch of experienced pilots well-built mechs that it starts to happen x3

And yes! I usually run the P2 with a heavy gauss or 2xUAC5s.... my love for the bushy started in mech commander though X_X
            Dusty's Signature
            IC Character Sheet

Comment

My favorite mech was always the Clan Blackhawk Primary. It was the one I always played in the tabletop game. And ruled with it most of the time, too.

It only made one appearance in the video game. It was in the community expansion packs that came out for Mercenaries 4 back some years ago. A variant of it, anyway. A fast 'chicken-walker' to coin the vernacular. It had a fast walk/run speed. It was armed with six extended-range medium lasers and a couple of other weapons I don't remember now. Heat management could get pretty dicey with it, too, because of all the weapons it had - you could only fire a few of them at once or you'd shut down - , but it certainly packed a serious punch for its size on the battlefield.

As for MWO, I did try to get into it. That was in my second attempt to play it. I even went out and bought me an X-Box controller just for it. I thought to myself, I'm going to buckle down, do the skill-tree thing and see if I can actually get some place here. Maybe I was just missing something and could actually make this work. But time and time again, I'd appear in a map, only to have a load of 100-ton mechs show up, Atlases mostly, and get my backside handed to me within the first seconds of every game. After about the tenth time of this happening to me, in ten attempts to play, I got frustrated and just deleted the game again.

That was about three years ago. I haven't installed the game again, since.

So I am really hopeful that the single-player version is going to really be something. I got really good in the Mercenary games, enjoying them immensely. I have MW4 installed on my computer even now, and still give it a bit of a play now and again. I had wished, back when 4 came out, that they would have improved the graphics. But of course, they didn't. They just recycled the older engine and slapped a new game on it. But it was still a great game. So if they make a great game with this, with the new graphics that I did think were spectacular in MWO, then I'm certain to enjoy it.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, though. Are they going to pull a 'Freemium' fast one? Or are you going to be able to get the game at this price, only to learn that there's some really cool content for another price? Greed seems to be the running thing with game-developers these days. Corporate bigwigs trying to figure out how the most money can be made, not how to make the best games possible these days.

Well, there is one shining light in all of this. Bethesda. Yeah, I'm looking at you, EA. Have a look at how Bethesda has been doing things. They're making great money because they're making great games. That is something you, and some other companies, have apparently forgotten how to do.
              Rick Canaan's Signature
              A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, though. Are they going to pull a 'Freemium' fast one? Or are you going to be able to get the game at this price, only to learn that there's some really cool content for another price? Greed seems to be the running thing with game-developers these days. Corporate bigwigs trying to figure out how the most money can be made, not how to make the best games possible these days.

Well, there is one shining light in all of this. Bethesda. Yeah, I'm looking at you, EA. Have a look at how Bethesda has been doing things. They're making great money because they're making great games. That is something you, and some other companies, have apparently forgotten how to do.
                Piranha Games seems to be taking Mechwarrior Online in a more fair direction. They do a lot of community events now and they give out a lot of stuff. I think that they really are aiming to make that game great, and it's possible that it has gotten much beterin the 3 years since you tried it last. Still, MW5 is another matter. I don't think this is going to be a Free to Play game. I'm expecting a retail game, but there will probably be a couple of special editions if one wants to go that route. Piranha isn't a huge studio and they don't have a major publisher breathing down their neck, so it's likely that they'll make a good game and charge a fair price.

As to Bethesda, well for the most part that was true, until this past month where they released Fallout 76. Let's just say they're not as bad as EA or Ubisoft or Activision, but they certainly just lost a good bit of good will from me.
                Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
                  My favorite mech was always the Clan Blackhawk Primary. It was the one I always played in the tabletop game. And ruled with it most of the time, too.

It only made one appearance in the video game. It was in the community expansion packs that came out for Mercenaries 4 back some years ago. A variant of it, anyway. A fast 'chicken-walker' to coin the vernacular. It had a fast walk/run speed. It was armed with six extended-range medium lasers and a couple of other weapons I don't remember now. Heat management could get pretty dicey with it, too, because of all the weapons it had - you could only fire a few of them at once or you'd shut down - , but it certainly packed a serious punch for its size on the battlefield.

As for MWO, I did try to get into it. That was in my second attempt to play it. I even went out and bought me an X-Box controller just for it. I thought to myself, I'm going to buckle down, do the skill-tree thing and see if I can actually get some place here. Maybe I was just missing something and could actually make this work. But time and time again, I'd appear in a map, only to have a load of 100-ton mechs show up, Atlases mostly, and get my backside handed to me within the first seconds of every game. After about the tenth time of this happening to me, in ten attempts to play, I got frustrated and just deleted the game again.

That was about three years ago. I haven't installed the game again, since.

So I am really hopeful that the single-player version is going to really be something. I got really good in the Mercenary games, enjoying them immensely. I have MW4 installed on my computer even now, and still give it a bit of a play now and again. I had wished, back when 4 came out, that they would have improved the graphics. But of course, they didn't. They just recycled the older engine and slapped a new game on it. But it was still a great game. So if they make a great game with this, with the new graphics that I did think were spectacular in MWO, then I'm certain to enjoy it.

I'm not sure why, but the Blackhawk is called the Nova in MWO.... and on the battletech wiki, but it is a great mech. Omni-pods give it a lot of flexibility in weapon types and its got great jump jets so you can maneuver with impunity. Given the over abundence of LRM boats in MWO at the moment, the load out with 3 Anti-Missile Systems is a nice way to rack up XP! My favorite clanner is cheesy as hell. The Piranha-1 is arguably a bit too powerful in MWO. 12 Machine guns means anything without armor gets shredded. I've back stabbed Atlas and Anhilators in under 2 seconds with this mech. Its small, fast, and paper-thin. If folks breath on you, you die. Thankfully a lot of folks can't aim it seems so you can run between their legs and light up their back armor

I hear you on the new player experience Rick. It does feel like they drop you into the tiger's den with nary a pat on the back. Took quite a few games to figure out what the hell was going on. Even then I still have sub 100 damage games where I die a bit too fast because I stepped out of position and found the enemy death ball. I'm not sure if that's a problem the devs can fix, or if its simply a problem with Battletech in a multiplayer online shooter form. Certainly they could do better to ease folks in. I'm hoping some of the AI of MW5 gets back ported, but since MWO is on Crytek and MW5 is on Unreal 4 I don't see that happening very soon :-/

Dusty's Signature
                  IC Character Sheet

Comment

Working...
                  X