Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daryn
    replied
    To be fair, we used Risen3D long before we ever started on Dragon Sector. The features were nice, it looked good, and worked on our hardware. We'd tried other ports at the time like ZDoom and Doomsday and none of them appealed. We had no idea what we were getting into.

On the whole, Dragon Sector did turn out well. but other ports are now exceeding what it can do.

I'm genuinely excited about what we'll be able to do here. I know it's going to be a challenge, but it's also going to be a ton of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Rick Canaan
    replied
    It's the game that started the phrase 'First-Person Shooter' Or 'FPS' for short. For about a decade, other games that came out that played like Doom, were in fact called 'Doom Clones'. They were FPS but they were never like Doom. They just never measured up.

The original Doom just had a simple formula. Put simply, Catharsis. It was fun, it was satisfying and it wasn't overly difficult to play. You just went through maps and killed demons. That was it. That was all you did. But it was immensely satisfying. A ticket-punch for just some good old fashioned shoot-em-up fun.

Never again has this formula been fully captured. id almost got it with Doom 2016, but it was missing something essential to the original Doom experience. It was fun, rocking fun, even. But it just wasn't the first Doom.

The fact that mod communities still exist, some 26 years later, says something. No other game has such a devotional following. No other game ever has.

Daryn and I are starting a new mod project. I started a thread here a couple of years ago about a project we'd worked on together. Dragon Sector. Heh, it heard crickets. I don't think a single person here tried to play it. When it appeared over on the Doomworld forums, it met with some success. One guy even said it reminded him of the first time he played Doom.

Daryn and I are going to shoot for something like that again. But we're doing it on a different engine. We did Dragon Sector on Risen3D - which frankly, was being developed by one of the biggest pricks I'd ever met, and who had a sidekick who was a real pill, himself. As a result, not many people knew much about it, and those who did, knew to stay away from it because of these two people. A fact we only discovered while nearing the completion of the project.

GZDoom. If you guys haven't heard of it, maybe it'll be something worth checking out. If you like to play Doom, the Doom from back in 1993, then it'll definitely prove worth your time. Once Daryn and I get some of our modding done, then you'll certainly want to grab it. Because trust me, once we get some headway going, you'll be impressed by what you see.

Leave a comment:

• Daryn
    started a topic DOOM: Still great after all these years

DOOM: Still great after all these years

You know, great games never go away. They age like a fine wine. The original Doom/Doom II are great examples of this. I've never been great at the games, cut I always loved them. There was just something about the way that those games felt that few games have ever managed to replicate. There's a certain X-Factor to it that uniquely belongs to it.

I'm getting into modding now. Diving in head first and finding myself enjoying and being frustrated by the experience. Then enjoying myself again when I figure out what I was missing.

The Doom engine has been open-source for decades now, and numerous source ports have appeared. The coolest thing is that new ones keep appearing, and they keep being updated. After all these years, people are still tinkering with Doom. Even John Romero is going back to Doom with his new project called Sigil.

Is there a point to this post? Oh I don't know, maybe spark a ittle discusion. Are there any games you guys still play that are super old?
Working...
X