Metal Wolf Chaos coming out soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Wolf Chaos coming out soon

I was wondering what had happened to this game. Well, it's launching in August. Warning, this looks completely insane! Not that I should be surprised, Devolver tends to publish the really esoteric.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

OK...

That just looks flatout stupid. Not gonna be playing that one, nope nope nope.

Because I mean, like, come on. An anime styled mech being driven by a throwing-down, cowboying-it-up, all-gungho U.S. president?

Nope. Not.

For one, yeah, like, right. Japanese style mech being driven by any American. Wouldn't happen. For one, those things just look plain stupid. For another, only a four-year-old with a Power-Rangers power fantasy would be caught dead in one. And for another, this idiot thing the developers claim to call a game, is so clearly a Japanese product targeted at American audiences, by developers who clearly know nothing about American culture, that any American who has any sense of self at all, would never let any of their friends catch them playing it.

So yeah. I've seen stupid games before, but this thing? It is the poster child of as stupid as stupid gets.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
      For one, yeah, like, right. Japanese style mech being driven by any American. Wouldn't happen. For one, those things just look plain stupid. For another, only a four-year-old with a Power-Rangers power fantasy would be caught dead in one. And for another, this idiot thing the developers claim to call a game, is so clearly a Japanese product targeted at American audiences, by developers who clearly know nothing about American culture, that any American who has any sense of self at all, would never let any of their friends catch them playing it.
      To be fair, this game originally came out in Japan in 2004 for the original Xbox. It was funded by Microsoft, and FromSoftware and Microsoft worked together on the story. So it was a fusion of East and West. Back in 2004 this might have worked a bit better, but I don't think it's aged all that well. Still, it's somehow become a cult classic because of how completely over-the-top everything is. Oh, and I should mention, that is the original voice dub. It was never done in Japanese. Not sure why it didn't get released in the US, but I suspect that has to do with the Xbox 360 being just around the corner and it didn't make a lot of sense to bring it out at that point.

Either way. I appreciate Devolver for being willing to put in the effort to bring it out so that more people can see how incredibly dumb and insane it is.

And yeah, I said dumb. It really is, I totally agree there, but in gaming circles, it's a bit of a legendary game. Though, it's legendary for all the reasons you mentioned.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

So I guess it's a nostalgia trip for people who like over-the-top dumb games?

Heh, if so, I guess I can see that.
        Rick Canaan's Signature
        A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
          So I guess it's a nostalgia trip for people who like over-the-top dumb games?

Heh, if so, I guess I can see that.
          Yeah, basically it's one of those games that never came out here that a lot of people wanted to try because it looked so completely dumb. Like, how could this have been thought to be a good idea? Original copies fetch stupid amounts of money when they turn up, so this release on modern platforms lets everyone get the chance to play it.

As I understand it, along with the Xbox 360 being around the corner, the sales in Japan weren't great, so that contributed to it not making it over here.

So yeah. Not everyone's cup of tea, but some folks might get a kick out of it.

I know which Mech game you're looking forward to though, and that one's in September.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Haha, wow! I... sort of appreciate this in a strange, artistic kind of way. It's like watching satire through a funhouse mirror. It's hard to believe anyone actually thought this was a good idea, though, unless it's incredibly tongue-in-cheek.

It reminds me of the president in Idiocracy, actually...

Comment

I actually think the people at Microsoft Japan who were consulting on this game were actually trolling, not expecting FromSoftware to actually go through with it. Either way, now we'll get to play this piece of insanity!
              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
              X