Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed to December 10th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries Delayed to December 10th

... and it's gone Epic Store exclusive for one year. Joy.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is delayed, will be an Epic Games Store exclusive | PC Gamer

This decision hasn't gone over well with the fanbase.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
    This decision hasn't gone over well with the fanbase.
    I can't imagine why not.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Well, Epic has been paying for exclusives. Their store is barely functional and slow and lacks basic functions, like a shopping cart. Plus exclusives smell of the whole Console Wars mentality, which people don't like much.

Doesn't mean the game is going to be bad, it's just going to be appearing first on a not all that great store.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
        Well, Epic has been paying for exclusives. Their store is barely functional and slow and lacks basic functions, like a shopping cart. Plus exclusives smell of the whole Console Wars mentality, which people don't like much.

Doesn't mean the game is going to be bad, it's just going to be appearing first on a not all that great store.
        I actually do want to weigh in on this for just a moment. PGI, and specifically the team-lead Russ Bullock, seem to have a bad habit of over-promising and lying-by-omission as evidenced by some of the undercooked features in MWO like Faction Warfare. During the AMA Russ had with the community on the MW5 discord he basically admitted that the only reason we're finding out about this now and not at Gamescom is someone "accidentally" changed the FAQ early. In the time between the FAQ chain and the announcement of the Epic Deal Russ actively tweeted that people were worried over nothing. It's for that reason that I canceled my pre-order. EGS has a whole list of its own issues, but I do find it hard to fault a developer if they're getting that much of a cash infusion. PGI dug its own grave with the dishonesty to their customer base. So I guess in a way I should thank PGI helping to keep me on the straight-and-narrow in terms of no pre-orders xD

If anyone is interested r/outreachhpg has compiled a handy timeline of all the relevant events.
        Dusty's Signature
        IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
          I actually do want to weigh in on this for just a moment. PGI, and specifically the team-lead Russ Bullock, seem to have a bad habit of over-promising and lying-by-omission as evidenced by some of the undercooked features in MWO like Faction Warfare. During the AMA Russ had with the community on the MW5 discord he basically admitted that the only reason we're finding out about this now and not at Gamescom is someone "accidentally" changed the FAQ early. In the time between the FAQ chain and the announcement of the Epic Deal Russ actively tweeted that people were worried over nothing. It's for that reason that I canceled my pre-order. EGS has a whole list of its own issues, but I do find it hard to fault a developer if they're getting that much of a cash infusion. PGI dug its own grave with the dishonesty to their customer base. So I guess in a way I should thank PGI helping to keep me on the straight-and-narrow in terms of no pre-orders xD
          Oh hey, Dusty!

An acquaintance of mine also did a breakdown of what happened here. If you want to watch it, it's quite good. It's also a nice place to point someone that wants to get up to speed quickly.

It's a bad look, no matter how you slice it. I'm kind of getting over the idea of EGS existing. Now I just wish that it was more functional, quicker, and usable. I've seen it improve slowly over te past few months, but it's still not where it needs to be. SidAlpha recently had an exchange with Tim Sweeney which actually gave me hope that they're listening.

I don't like the idea of Exclusives being the way they compete, but let's not forget that Half-Life 2 was the reason Steam is a thing. It's how Valve distributed it back in the day. Epic is trying to give people compelling games to get on their store, but the process is rubbing people the wrong way. I think they want to have a compelling store in its own right, because I can't imagine that the Fortnite money is going to last them forever.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X