Why Pop Music today sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Pop Music today sucks

Ever wonder why you can't stand to listen to modern music today? Turns out it's scientifically getting worse.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

I seldom wonder about it. I just know that most of it sucks. So much so, that I can't bring myself to even try to give any of it a listen, whatever anybody else has to say good about it or no.

But then, I've never been big on music, anyway. So much so, that a few people who know me have even remarked on it. They simply can't remember the last time they ever heard me listening to music.

For music, I just have to be in the right mood. And when in that mood, the type of music I enjoy listening to is very specific. It has to hit me just right and in just the right places. If it doesn't, it comes as only noise to my ears and I turn it off immediately - or completely mentally tune it out, if physically turning it off is not an option.

With this new pop stuff, this is something I do often without fail. I'd rather have to listen to sirens and jackhammers than to what these people so generously - and to my ear, so inaccurately - call music.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Hehe, well, this video will give you a good explanation of exactly why it's terrible. I listen to a lot of music, and the stuff he talks about in there is exactly what I stay away from.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
        Hehe, well, this video will give you a good explanation of exactly why it's terrible. I listen to a lot of music, and the stuff he talks about in there is exactly what I stay away from.
        Meh, count me out. Don't need to watch it. I don't need to be told why I'll dislike it. I'm confident already in why I don't like it.
        Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

A few red flags going up IMO.

1. One of his other videos is: "These Ancient Relics Are So Advanced They Shouldn't Exist...". Pseudoarcheology in other words.

2. The channel's name is "Thoughty2", not quite Badger's law territory but too close for my own comfort.

It might be a good video but YT's suggestions algorithm has burned me too often for me to keep going to videos like that out of curiosity. Sorry.
          Rusakov's Signature
          "You drongos will have to do better than that if you want to beat the devil!"-Hugh Dawkins, alias: Tasmanian Devil

Comment

I thought this was quite an interesting video! I didn't realise there was that level of macro analysis of music change, and I definitely think less variety in mainstream music is a bad thing. I imagine if we did an analysis of modern blockbuster films we'd find a somewhat similar trend.

I somewhat agree with Rusakov though - not that the video should be avoided (your recommendation, Daryn, is enough for me!), but that it seems to over-egg the issue a little. I don't listen to much pop music, but I am an enormous fan of P!nk, who I think is a brilliant and talented artist. She was included in his long list of "people you don't realise have their songs written for them by Max Martin". I've always found her songs to be very personal and deeply emotional, so I looked up to see if I'd been tricked by some corporate machine. The video isn't entire inaccurate including her - she has worked with Max Martin on around five of her songs - but it's grossly unfair presenting her as not writing her own material. She has, as far as I can tell, only co-written with him, and in fact writes almost all of her own songs herself, including almost every hit she's ever had.

This doesn't diminish the point of the video, of course, but I feel it does need to be looked at with a critical eye.

Also, I find your response interesting, Rick :p

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
            Meh, count me out. Don't need to watch it. I don't need to be told why I'll dislike it. I'm confident already in why I don't like it
            Personally, I think it's really important to question our own feelings and conclusions. If I have a strong dislike of something, I want to be able to explain to myself why that is, because if I don't know why I dislike it, I don't know whether I'm right in disliking it. Sometimes we get a bad first impression, or we experience a bad version of a group (like judging all anime on a small number of terrible shows, which I did for about 20 years). I think sometimes it's worth taking a moment to analyse why we feel the way we do, either positively or negatively about something. It stops us falling into the risk of dogmatic thinking

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
              It stops us falling into the risk of dogmatic thinking
              In my case, trust me, it isn't.

You can ask Daryn. It is extremely hard for me to get into music. I can listen to a song for fifteen seconds and know I don't like it.

This isn't just dismissal on my part, or anything to do with pre-conceived notions. My brain just isn't setup to get into music. The music has to be very specific for my brain to recognize it as something it will like. In all my years, and there have been 54 of them so far, I have developed a library of eleven songs. Only eleven. I have tried new music from time to time, Daryn even sending me titles on occasion to see if I'll like them, so I do try new music. But again and again I just reject them. I just can't enjoy them. Period. No question in my mind as to why I don't. I just know that I don't.

I've tried to understand why this is with me for years. I never came up with any answers. Well, one, perhaps. My imagination is a firestorm. When I create something in my head, it takes on life, real life, me able to see it in my mind's eye like it was really there. I can even go into a sort of fugue state if I start to concentrate on it. And well, the music that helps propel me into that state, is the music that my brain accepts. If the music doesn't, then it is just noise to my ears, and absolutely nothing more.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Maybe we're running out of songs.

Comment

Originally posted by EmberKamura View Post
                  Maybe we're running out of songs.

Nah, there's still plenty of great music coming out, but you have to completely avoid the mainstream to find it.

These young guys from Michigan sure know how to make good music.

Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                  X