No announcement yet.

Why Is Guardians of the Galaxy So Good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Canaan You know, reading this is a lot more poignant to me because I know a lot more about you. I'll not go into specifics here, but in essence, the MCU is letting you have a part of your childhood that was denied to you the first time.

It's not nostalgia for the 70'sor wanting to be young again, but filling in a part of you that was not allowed to be filled in the first time. I can't see this as anything but a good thing. You told me you've started to listen to more music now, and starting to enjoy it. That just wasn't a thing before.

In a way, the MCU is helping to complete you. You get to be taken back to your childhood, but only the good parts of it. I don't think I can underline enough how important that is.

That's not even touching on the fact that the movies themselves, and some of the TV Shows are also excellent in their own ways. They bring the comics to life, and as I'm starting to realize as I'm watching them, each movie is relatively self-contained. Much like a comic book reader might jump in in the middle of a series, they can still jump into the movies and enjoy the stories and visuals on their own merits. Then, if they enjoyed what they saw there's a whole world to explore.

A lot of people, including myself were trying to watch the movies in a specific order. I'm realizing that you don't really have to do that. My brain fills in the details and puts events in order easily enough.

Anyway, I'm really glad you shared. So far, I've been enjoying the MCU, and I am hoping to continue to.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Yeah, well, what was, was. My parents were completely selfish idiots. They denied me a lot. I was never allowed to listen to 'Worldly' music. That was because they were Christians, and things of the 'World' were temptations down the unrighteous path. Yada yada yada. They were delusional idiots, not having a clue how the world worked, themselves.

But all that's behind me, now. That was my childhood. Not something I'm not too keen about discussing anymore. Especially not on public forums.

But you are right. I'm getting to experience things in my adulthood that were denied me growing up. That does lend it some poignancy. But more than that, I just enjoy it, and for the reasons I said. I'm getting to see things I was once only able to imagine. It is a thing I think quite powerful to most everyone in my age group. Like I said, we didn't have Internet and video games back then. All we had were TV, comic books, the movies and books. If we wanted something more, we had to imagine it.

But no longer. We finally get to see. Technology had made it possible for us.

Which kind of gives me to wonder. What might it be like 40 years from now? Will kids today, inundated by things they don't just have to imagine but are actually able to see, look back at our current era with the same feelings I am experiencing? It's kind of hard to picture that happening. What more can entertainment give the young people of our era 40 years from now?

So I am getting to experience something, I think, no one will be able to experience again. To go from only being able to imagine it, to being able to actually see and experience it. It's something pretty profound for people like me. And I am sucking it up as much as I can.
      Rick Canaan's Signature
      A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
        Which kind of gives me to wonder. What might it be like 40 years from now? Will kids today, inundated by things they don't just have to imagine but are actually able to see, look back at our current era with the same feelings I am experiencing? It's kind of hard to picture that happening. What more can entertainment give the young people of our era 40 years from now?

So I am getting to experience something, I think, no one will be able to experience again. To go from only being able to imagine it, to being able to actually see and experience it. It's something pretty profound for people like me. And I am sucking it up as much as I can.
        I think that for this coming generation, the thing that they'll be after is the ability to be in the picture. Maybe not so much in the sense of a holodeck, I think that's probably still a good long ways off, but being able to put themselves in the movie. Either by taking up the role of one of the characters, or putting themselves into the scene. That seems like the next logical progression to me. VR is still a fledgling technology, and it's got a long way to go, but I'm sure there are opportunities there to explore new kinds of storytelling.

I think the Ready Player One idea of FlickSyncs may not be that far off, either.

Even still, I'm doubtful that movies, as we know them, are going to go away. The sort of things I just described require active participation, and sometimes, you just want to sit back and enjoy a story unfolding in front of you.
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Working...
        X