The Last Jedi Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last Jedi Trailer

I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't been posted here yet. The latest trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi came out about a week ago. If you haven't seen it yet, it might be worth a watch. This one looks like it may be really good.

Daryn's Signature

It looks like they were able to get some screen time with Carrie Fisher before her unfortunate passing, which is awesome. Not her passing, of course, but the fact that she was able to do what she most loved - play Princess Leia - up until it was her time.

I just find it a shame that Harrison Ford bowed out of the story. He had himself written out of the movies, saying that his role in them wasn't what he pictured himself doing as an actor. Which is really unfortunate. It was the role that made him great. Leaving it may have had a serious impact on his career. He hasn't been cast in any major production, apart from perhaps the remake of Bladerunner, since that decision. Which, for better or for worse, may have made the decision a fateful one for the actor.

Ran across a video last night of an interview with Mark Hamill that some of you might find interesting:

https://youtu.be/Xw0IR6fJlV0

One other thing that has kind of got me wondering - is the story lines.

I know that Rogue One is a sort of prequel to the all of the other movies, but this new story is supposed to be post-Empire, isn't it? I think the thing that is bothering me the most, is that before the Empire fell, the Rebel Alliance was a ragtag group of freedom fighters. So, ummm, after its fall, shouldn't the Empire be somewhat ragtag, too? Else, where did they get the trillions upon trillions of Dollars (or Star Wars currency!) to be able to build planet-sized rays of death and build whole new fleets of ships and stuff? Ummm, if any organization had backing with that kind of clout, there is no way those backers would be able to remain under the radar!

Or heh. Am I just reading too much into it and should just shut up and enjoy the blooming movie? Or do perhaps, after all, the writers and producers and stuff have answers to these questions? Curious minds want to know!
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    Insatiable Curiosity Roleplay Information:
    Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Something else I just learned: Carrie Fisher was Debbie Reynolds' daughter!

Debbie Reynolds was a huge box office star back in the 40s, 50s and 60s. She later went on to work in several TV shows, in some as recurring stars, and cameos in others. I had no idea Carrie was her daughter! o.o

On top of that, I thought she was a Brit!

Hah! Goes to show what I know!
      Rick Canaan's Signature
      Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
        I know that Rogue One is a sort of prequel to the all of the other movies, but this new story is supposed to be post-Empire, isn't it? I think the thing that is bothering me the most, is that before the Empire fell, the Rebel Alliance was a ragtag group of freedom fighters. So, ummm, after its fall, shouldn't the Empire be somewhat ragtag, too? Else, where did they get the trillions upon trillions of Dollars (or Star Wars currency!) to be able to build planet-sized rays of death and build whole new fleets of ships and stuff? Ummm, if any organization had backing with that kind of clout, there is no way those backers would be able to remain under the radar!

Or heh. Am I just reading too much into it and should just shut up and enjoy the blooming movie? Or do perhaps, after all, the writers and producers and stuff have answers to these questions? Curious minds want to know!
        I get the sense that they're trying to. The trouble is these stories have a whole lot of baggage associated with them by now. Nobody expected Star Wars to be as huge as it eventually got, so they wrote a story that was fine on its own, but if you read too much into it would start to fall apart. Then as they progressed, they just ignored those issues and now that people expect more from storylines these sorts of things just stand out more. There's a whole wealth of storytelling that was done in the Extended Universe, which Disney initially flat-out said was not part of the canon. I don't think they've changed their minds on that, but they do seem to be trying to fill in the gaps with every other movie.
        Daryn's Signature

Comment

It looks like they were able to get some screen time with Carrie Fisher before her unfortunate passing, which is awesome. Not her passing, of course, but the fact that she was able to do what she most loved - play Princess Leia - up until it was her time.

I just find it a shame that Harrison Ford bowed out of the story. He had himself written out of the movies, saying that his role in them wasn't what he pictured himself doing as an actor. Which is really unfortunate. It was the role that made him great. Leaving it may have had a serious impact on his career. He hasn't been cast in any major production, apart from perhaps the remake of Bladerunner, since that decision. Which, for better or for worse, may have made the decision a fateful one for the actor.

Ran across a video last night of an interview with Mark Hamill that some of you might find interesting:

https://youtu.be/Xw0IR6fJlV0

One other thing that has kind of got me wondering - is the story lines.

A big criticism if The Force Awakens is that it was just A New Hope all over again. I'm not that cynical but I do hope to learn a bit more about the First Order's origin. From what I've gathered the First Order is the imperial Remnant. They had a negotiated if tense peace with the newly re-established Galactic Republic after the rebels took Coruscant. Leia was suspicious of letting any remnant of Imperial Authority remain, so she formed the Resistance with some under the table Military and Financial Backing from various senators in the Republic. I guess the ultimate Irony is the First Order can say the Republic were the agressors and NOT be entirely wrong. Doesn't really justify blowing up several billion sentients, but Leia did supply them with a Casus Belli.

Looking back now I really did prefer Rogue One over TFA. The lore was richer, the cinematography was better, and it was a much more grounded point of view of the war then the usual magic space knights. I love me some X-Wing and Y-wing action too xD I'm hoping The Last Jedi takes a few more risks to set itself apart from its predecessors. It looks like they're hinting at something of a major shake-up in the motives of the characters, but they've misled us before (TFA's Trailer showed Flynn with the light saber a bunch). As it is I best Kylo can't pull the Trigger on his mom, then that red-headed imperial prick does it to prove his loyalty to Snoke. This sends Kylo into a rage and he jumps off into the middle of nowhere and does some kind of force meditation soul searching.
          Dusty's Signature
          IC Character Sheet

Comment

So, ummm, after its fall, shouldn't the Empire be somewhat ragtag, too? Else, where did they get the trillions upon trillions of Dollars (or Star Wars currency!) to be able to build planet-sized rays of death and build whole new fleets of ships and stuff? Ummm, if any organization had backing with that kind of clout, there is no way those backers would be able to remain under the radar!
            I'm 100% with you there. It's something that bugged me in the first of the newest films (Number 7). It's a tendency that certain elements of the media (and if I may say so, particularly the popular American media) have towards always supporting the underdog - they prefer a story of a rag-tag group of misfits rising up and defeating an oppressive, monolithic power. And don't get me wrong, that's a great set-up, and is the backdrop to many of my favourite books/films/games. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have your heroes win, save the universe and become the dominant power within it, and STILL have them be the underdog. They aren't the underdog. They're the dog. There are plenty of threats that can come from an organisation with less objective power than you. I mean, look at the British Empire losing America, or America losing in Vietnam. Look at modern day terror cells. These are all groups who objectively have less wealth, influence, and military might than the forces they are able to either beat or at least force into a stalemate. What would have been wrong with a group of Empire-loyalists setting up assassinations and sabotage from the shadows? That's threatening. That can lead to urgency and dazzling action sequences - "We must find the loyalist on board before he detonates the bomb and destroys this station! Oh no, storm troopers are attacking the Eastern Star-port, led by Kylo Ren! It's almost certainly a distraction, taking our focus off of the bomb, but if he breaks through, they won't even need to detonate it anymore..."

Anyway, my point is, giving the scraps of the Empire all this force is lazy writing.

As far as the trailer goes, it looks fine. I'll probably go to see it. But it's put me in an awkward spot - they clearly present Kylo in that trailer as wavering in his villainy. And I'm partly glad, because that came across strongly in the first, leading you almost to be convinced that... well... I can't imagine no one's seen The Force Awakens, but just in case...

Open ContentSPOILER
            Leading you to be convinced that he wouldn't kill Han

However, it seems to basically spell out that he'll turn good to help Rey. And now, if he does, I'm going to feel utterly underwhelmed, because the trailer told me he would. If he reaches out his hand for her to take it, and then he's a goodie, I'm going to feel like I wasted £10 seeing something I could have told someone before I went to see it. And if he reaches his hand out to do anything else, I'll feel annoyed that the trailer intentionally lied to me (don't know why, that always bugs me)

I suppose the positive is that I now know what that bug-eyed, long-eared cat thing is from, because I've been seeing it everywhere and had no clue. It both looks and sounds annoying though...

But another positive - Phasma will actually do something this time! What a criminal waste of that character from TFA. She had better kick some big-time butt to make up for that.
            SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post

I'm 100% with you there. It's something that bugged me in the first of the newest films (Number 7). It's a tendency that certain elements of the media (and if I may say so, particularly the popular American media) have towards always supporting the underdog - they prefer a story of a rag-tag group of misfits rising up and defeating an oppressive, monolithic power. And don't get me wrong, that's a great set-up, and is the backdrop to many of my favourite books/films/games. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have your heroes win, save the universe and become the dominant power within it, and STILL have them be the underdog. They aren't the underdog. They're the dog. There are plenty of threats that can come from an organisation with less objective power than you. I mean, look at the British Empire losing America, or America losing in Vietnam. Look at modern day terror cells. These are all groups who objectively have less wealth, influence, and military might than the forces they are able to either beat or at least force into a stalemate. What would have been wrong with a group of Empire-loyalists setting up assassinations and sabotage from the shadows? That's threatening. That can lead to urgency and dazzling action sequences - "We must find the loyalist on board before he detonates the bomb and destroys this station! Oh no, storm troopers are attacking the Eastern Star-port, led by Kylo Ren! It's almost certainly a distraction, taking our focus off of the bomb, but if he breaks through, they won't even need to detonate it anymore..."

Anyway, my point is, giving the scraps of the Empire all this force is lazy writing.

As far as the trailer goes, it looks fine. I'll probably go to see it. But it's put me in an awkward spot - they clearly present Kylo in that trailer as wavering in his villainy. And I'm partly glad, because that came across strongly in the first, leading you almost to be convinced that... well... I can't imagine no one's seen The Force Awakens, but just in case...

Open ContentSPOILER
              Leading you to be convinced that he wouldn't kill Han

However, it seems to basically spell out that he'll turn good to help Rey. And now, if he does, I'm going to feel utterly underwhelmed, because the trailer told me he would. If he reaches out his hand for her to take it, and then he's a goodie, I'm going to feel like I wasted £10 seeing something I could have told someone before I went to see it. And if he reaches his hand out to do anything else, I'll feel annoyed that the trailer intentionally lied to me (don't know why, that always bugs me)

I suppose the positive is that I now know what that bug-eyed, long-eared cat thing is from, because I've been seeing it everywhere and had no clue. It both looks and sounds annoying though...

But another positive - Phasma will actually do something this time! What a criminal waste of that character from TFA. She had better kick some big-time butt to make up for that.
              I think we're being misdirected again. The Force Awakens trailers were pretty misleading in implying that Fin was going to be the force sensitive/light saber wielding character. We hardly saw any of Rey in the trailers. So I'm not prepared to say this is a the big twist we'll actually get.

As for the First Order being as powerful as the Empire? Yeah that's a bit of a bummer. It does seem they've been trying to shore up the story a bit in external materials like books and games. I explained a lot of it in my earlier posts. I do agree its lazy writing to not work this into the film somehow.
              Dusty's Signature
              IC Character Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
                But another positive - Phasma will actually do something this time!
                Hehe, a bit of trivia. The person, or woman who plays Phasma, is the same woman who played that huge, woman knight in Game of Thrones - Gwendoline Christie.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MV5BMzA3MTcxMTMzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI2MDg0Nw@@._V1_UY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	54301
                Rick Canaan's Signature
                Open ContentSPOILER

Comment

Someone explained that First Order is quite powerful but not as big as Galactic Empire. Yet New Republic doesn't really want to cope with First Order with declaring open war, hence the Resistance is a thing.

Comment

Hehe, a bit of trivia. The person, or woman who plays Phasma, is the same woman who played that huge, woman knight in Game of Thrones - Gwendoline Christie.
                    Indeed, it's the first think I knew about the character other than the silver armour! Brienne is one of my favourite GoT characters!
                    SliceOfDog's Signature

My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Working...
                    X