Lost in Space (2018)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost in Space (2018)

And so, I finally got a chance to start watching this.

Like, if you're curious, I don't do TV shows while I'm on the road. I get interested in them too easily and can find myself staying up all night in a marathon, which leads me to needing to play hookie the next day, for lack of sleep. So that is why I haven't started watching it until now. That being said, here's my opinion, a review, I guess, of it.

Frankly, it's not that bad. It's not great, but it has a sense of fun and child-like wonder that make it likable. If you can get past things like it being cold enough for ice to freeze feet-thick in seconds, but the Robinsons aren't freezing without heavy winter gear, then mayyyybe you can have a good time watching it.

I say maybe because the show is filled to the absolute brim with a child-like melodrama. It caters to the naivete of childhood, leaving us grownups who know better to face-palm and look at the show from betwixt our fingers. The ice freezing feet thick in seconds, a ton of suspense that would only make a child sit in the edge of their seat, and a robot character who is the absolute savior of the family - who was brought to the rescue by Will Robinson, after he saves its 'life' in a very melodramatic moment.

All of that being said though, the new Lost in Space strives to capture the chemistry that made that oh-so-campy original so appealing, and achieves it quite marvelously. It's fun, humorously loquacious and takes itself very pleasantly seriously for its intended audience. It's essentially a cartoon done with real live actors, and a good one. If you remember and loved the original, like I did, then you'll likely love this one equally. If you're all grown up now, pop some popcorn, get a soda, then turn your brain off and settle in for some fun. It just might take you back some years and maybe even spark a few childhood memories for ya.
    Rick Canaan's Signature
    A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

I never saw the original one - I only know of it through Simpsons and Futurama references, really. Given that you emphasise how childish the remake is, do you think there's be much enjoyment from it for viewers who have no nostalgia for the franchise? Is it something I'm expected to already be invested in, like the new Star Wars films?
    SliceOfDog's Signature
    My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
      I never saw the original one - I only know of it through Simpsons and Futurama references, really. Given that you emphasise how childish the remake is, do you think there's be much enjoyment from it for viewers who have no nostalgia for the franchise? Is it something I'm expected to already be invested in, like the new Star Wars films?
      That depends on you, I guess. What your tastes are in TV entertainment and stuff. If you don't know anything about the original show, then it's likely you'll not get the chemistry references between the characters that the new show refers back to. As a stand-alone, it's hard to say. I just depends on taste, really. I like it because I loved the original. I literally grew up with it, it coming out a year after I was born. Saturday afternoons, I would start bugging my grandma to turn the TV on because it was time for Lost in Space to come on!

The show just brings back a lot of pleasant childhood memories for me.

Otherwise it's pretty campy and like I say, the plot devices they use are very thin and two-dimensional; they're the kinds of plot devices that will appeal to only children's level of understanding of how things work. If you like shows that are like that, then you'll probably like this. Else, then probably not.
      Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Ah, fair enough then. Yeah, probably sounds like it wouldn't be up my street then. You say it refers back to character chemistry - is it a sequel rather than a reboot then? Is the original still supposed to have happened?
        SliceOfDog's Signature
        My Insatiable Curiosity RP character - Haheen Jaquoi

Comment

Nah, not a sequel. but a complete reboot. The character names are the same, but that's about it. Even the robot is an alien thing now, not like it was, which was a robot that was supposed to be on the mission from the start.
          Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

I just watched the first episode of this, actually! I really enjoyed the effects, but I feel like there was a weakness in the kids. Well, at least the youngest, Will. I think he did a pretty good job playing the kid who was clearly not to be in this situation, but a few of his deliveries were a bit weak. I have yet to watch the rest of the series, but I might be giving it a shot soon!

Comment

I finished season 1.

And oi is it good.

And kind of bad, too. Remember what I said about it being mostly for kids? Well, yeah.

In one episode the Robinsons' vehicle sinks in tar. They come up with this brilliant idea for inflating an air balloon to escape. When they do, they come out covered in tar, minus a good half of their clothes, which includes the loss of their boots, but when you see them next - they're approaching the camp - they're clean, fully clothed again and are wearing their boots.

I was like, wait. Wasn't their vehicle sunk under tar? What did they do, climb back down through the balloon to get their things and somehow found a place to bathe and clean their clothes, in the wilderness?!

Like, hehe. If you can overlook stuff like that, though, Lost in Space isn't half bad. It's fun, lighthearted adventure story-telling for adults, and will be able to keep kids riveted to the edges of their seats wondering what happens next.
              Rick Canaan's Signature

Comment

Working...
              X