Dune Movie coming in 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dune Movie coming in 2020

This is exciting news to me! I recently read Dune for the first time and it was marvelous. The movie and TV series though, not so much. Now they're taking another crack at it.

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune will hit theaters in November 2020 - The Verge

Along with that, there will be games set in the Dune universe. I am intrigued, to say the least.

Anyone here a Dune fan? Should I read the other novels?
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Ooh, interesting!

I can't say I'm a full 'fan' of Dune, because I've not read any of the sequels or seen the original film (though I do own it, tucked away on a shelf somewhere...), but I enjoyed the first novel and have incredibly fond memories of Dune II (the first true RTS game, which I played on the ol' Amiga way back when). I'm pleased that it's getting another crack at the big screen, and I hope they do it justice. My initial worry would be that they'd feel the need to make it too flashy and action packed, but I've not seen the director's other work, so I don't know how likely that is.

Comment

Here is his IMDB page if you're interested. He did Arrival from a couple of years back, which was pretty good.

Denis Villeneuve - IMDb

He's also a local. From my own province, which is nothing like Dune. So who knows how this will turn out.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Thanks for the link! And hah, well who knows, maybe being from a cold climate will make Arrakis seem more alien? Might add an element to bringing it to life on screen

Comment

I think the biggest problem with adapting Dune has been that it was a novel with a lot of scope. I don't think that filmmakers really had the knowledge or experience to really pull it off. Now, though, we've had series like Game of THrones, with a massive narrative arc and great characters. If Dune can be well adapted, I think now's the time, more than ever, that it can be done.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X