Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It seems cable TV isn't entirely useless (for now)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems cable TV isn't entirely useless (for now)

Biker Mice From Mars on El Rey Network

And yes, it's the 1993 version.

Just how sad is cable when a channel airs an action cartoon is actually news?

If I got that channel I'd record it. It's almost impossible to get a decent quality version of that original show. I know there are DVDs floating around but since they're out of print, they're way overpriced. I always liked that series. It had surprising depth for a kid's show.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

I'm aware of the show but never actually watched it. I was never into the gritty style of kid's 80s action cartoons. Have I overlooked a gem here? Would you guys recommend I give it a try, and if so - given the topic of discussion here - where can I find it?

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
        I'm aware of the show but never actually watched it. I was never into the gritty style of kid's 80s action cartoons. Have I overlooked a gem here? Would you guys recommend I give it a try, and if so - given the topic of discussion here - where can I find it?
        90s action cartoon actually.

It's silly, but fun. It's on the El Rey network, but I don't know if the U.K. gets that channel.

Comment

Yeah, if you can find it, it's worth it. It's a show about Anthro mice that ride motorcycles and listen to heavy metal. I mean, what's not to like there?

You might also try finding the DVDs, as they were released in the UK but not over here for some reason.
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Haha, yeah, sounds mostly up my street. I never watched it as a kid, but I was aware of it. I think my brother had a pencil case of them?

In any case, I'll look out for the DVDs. It's unusual for stuff to be released here and not in the US. It wasn't a British show, was it?

Comment

Oh there were all kinds of merchandise for them back in the day. There was even a SNES game.

Here's one on amazon. May be worth getting.

They also did a reboot or two, I think. But I never tried to watch those.
              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
                It wasn't a British show, was it?
                Not to my knowledge, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
                  Not to my knowledge, no.
                  Yeah, it was American. But for some reason, it and Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars got UK DVD releases and the US got left out.
                  Daryn's Signature

Comment

Well I watched it for a while and... I realized that I just didn't like it all that much.

In the meantime I've warmed up to other modern shows and one of my favorites is starting a new season soon. So there's that at least.

Comment

In fairness, it was a thing of its time. It's kind of fun, but it doesn't hold up so well anymore. I wonder if either of the modern reboots fared any better.
                      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
                        In fairness, it was a thing of its time. It's kind of fun, but it doesn't hold up so well anymore.
                        I honestly wonder if that's the only problem. I've seen quite a few 80s/90s shows that in my opinion were a lot better. Sure, they come across as products of their time, but they still hold up at least somewhat well. Yet BMFM does not have that going for it, at all.

Interestingly the show creator Rick Ungar is better known for being a serial CEO and political commentator than for creativity. Make of that what you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusakov View Post
                          I've warmed up to other modern shows and one of my favorites is starting a new season soon.
                          Personally, as I'm sure I'll have said on the site before, I feel we're in a golden age for cartoons at the moment! Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Hilda - all absolutely wonderful! Long may it continue, in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what's the show that's starting a new season?

Comment

OK KO, Let's Be Heroes.

Comment

Working...
                            X