Terminator: Dark Fate Teaser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminator: Dark Fate Teaser

When I heard a while back that James Cameron was going to do another Terminator movie, I was excited but anxious. How would they be able to erase the bad stink that the last 3 movies left? Well, I must say, this teaser has me very optimistic and looking forward to it. Maybe James Cameron really is the only person that should handle Terminator.

Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

On the one hand... sequelitis is a thing (as the previous three films attest to).

On the other, James Cameron is a good director.

Comment

Yeah. I feel like from Terminator 3 onwards the stories just got way too out there. This one seems to be bringing it back around, and I hope it ends up working out. I like that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton are both on board with this. It could be good.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Hm... I've been away from this franchise for a long time, and I don't remember much of the specifics of the last film I watched (I think number 4? It was actually set post-robot victory). But it doesn't look like an awful lot has changed. Maybe that's for the best?

Comment

According to Cameron, this is a lot like a soft-reboot of the franchise, so I can understand why there would be familiar elements in there. The last move Genesys was sort of not very good at all. So it's nice to see that maybe this will be better. Story-wise, I think they're going to treat it as if 3 and onwards haven't happened. Might get to the same place eventually, but who knows.
          Daryn's Signature

Comment

The thing is, the Terminator franchise was originally Cameron's. I know don't what happened after Judgement Day, but for some reason or another, other people got control of the franchise. And they took it in... shall we say, different directions. And considering most opinions, those different directions weren't necessarily good ones.

Now that Cameron has control again, he'll have the ability to bring the franchise back under his vision. Which will be good, if the first two movies are any evidence of his talent and directorial ability. So one wouldn't be thought to have expectations too very high, if they hoped Cameron could bring the franchise back in good directions.

As to Schwarzenegger being back on board, though, I'm a little dubious. We all saw in the last Terminator movie he was in, that an aging terminator didn't work exactly in the movie's favor. Because like, cyborg? Robots like, don't age. So if anything, for him to be in it, and for it to be believable, in my opinion at least, he'll have to be a voice-over actor for a CGI skeletal terminator, all of his outer skin having died and needing to be sloughed off. Like, because one can only suspend imagination so far. Without the necessary support mechanisms - internal organs and the like - the skin covering the cyborg wouldn't be able to live very long.

But that's just my two cents on it. I have no idea what they have planned. All I hope is that it will be as great as the first two movies. Which I have little doubt they will be. Everything that has ever come out of Cameron's studio has been somewhere between great and just outright superb. If he follows that level of commitment to making great movies, then I don't doubt we have something to look forward to indeed.
            Rick Canaan's Signature
            A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post
              As to Schwarzenegger being back on board, though, I'm a little dubious. We all saw in the last Terminator movie he was in, that an aging terminator didn't work exactly in the movie's favor. Because like, cyborg? Robots like, don't age. So if anything, for him to be in it, and for it to be believable, in my opinion at least, he'll have to be a voice-over actor for a CGI skeletal terminator, all of his outer skin having died and needing to be sloughed off. Like, because one can only suspend imagination so far. Without the necessary support mechanisms - internal organs and the like - the skin covering the cyborg wouldn't be able to live very long.
              Welcome back, pony!

This is a very good point. I can kind of see a narrative reason as to why they might want to have an agingTerminator. Maybe the organic parts could age to help preserve the disguise. The trouble with that bit of logic, in my view, is that in this world everone knows Terminators exist to begin with. So just shucking off the pretence would probably be the better way to go. Then you'd just have the Vintage T800 vs the new models. Which, was a good part of T2, now that I think about it.

If nothing else, they could do a proper ending to the series. If they bring the old cast back to do only that, then it's still well worth it.
              Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
                Vintage T800 vs the new models. Which, was a good part of T2, now that I think about it.

If nothing else, they could do a proper ending to the series. If they bring the old cast back to do only that, then it's still well worth it.
                Yeah, the fight between the T800 and T1000 was a lot of fun. It really let the terminators show off just how powerful they were. That was a great level of catharsis for audiences - something which a lot of directors seem to overlook.

Even in the first movie, just the outright action affected audiences the same way. The way Reese just started blasting with the shotgun, that extremely brutal car-chase, and then finally the ending where Hamilton just plain outright crushed the terminator, which came to audiences as a very satisfying way to kill the thing. Movies, good movies, all have something in common. Both Terminator and Terminator: Judgement Day were chock full of them. They suck audiences in and give them a real visceral experience.

Cameron's movies satisfy audiences. They do this because Cameron has the ability to put audiences in the action. But also, in the heads of the characters. Moreover, he knows how to raise expectations and then how to satisfy those expectations. There are few directors who have this ability. But Cameron is certainly one of this exhaled few.

As to ending the series, I hope not. From what I saw in the trailer, though, it looks as though it won't be. It looks like Cameron is bringing some new, young blood into the franchise. I like to think Schwarzenegger is there to usher in the new story arc, as it were. Him and Hamilton, too.

Which gives me to wonder. Will perhaps Michael Biehn have a cameo in the movie? If one asks me, I think having him in the movie, even as perhaps only a Hamilton memory, would be a very nice touch.

Either way, I'm looking way forward to this movie. Both the first two Terminator movies were excellent. With Cameron back at the helm again, this one's no doubt going to be a satisfying experience in the extreme, too.
                Rick Canaan's Signature
                A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Canaan View Post

An interesting point. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics of the living tissue covering of a T-800. I know from reading the novel of the first film that there's a pump that acts like a heart to circulate blood and there must be a similar set up for oxygenating the blood since the cyborg breaths. We haven't seen them eat or drink so do they have a digestive system or does the flesh convert energy like a plant? As far as the life expectancy of the flesh goes that's also an unknown. A t-800's power supply last 120 years but I would think that unless the flesh is engineered to last that long it would probably require more than one re application of infiltration flesh in that time period.

I'm curious though about Schwarznegger's role. According to James Cameron this movie is supposed to explain why the T-101 Terminators all look like Arnold. Maybe instead of playing The Terminator he's playing the human the Terminator is based off of.

Comment

That's an interesting possibility. It would let Arnold play a different character, even if he'd look similar. Chances are the Terminator's personalities would be different than the person they were based on. By that I mean, they didn't really have one. So seeing their basis might be an interesting twist.

As to the living tissue, I'd imagine it would age just a human's would, even if there's a pump to maintain it, time eventually catches up. What if you could tell how long a terminator has been in service by how old they look?

Just some thoughts.
                    Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                    X