How Sesame Street Puppetteers Control Their Puppets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Sesame Street Puppetteers Control Their Puppets

Just a little something off-beat and interesting I found.

I love that this is all still being done as traditional puppeteering. They could have probably done CG, but the puppets were always part of the charm of sesame street. I grew up watching it, and it's nice to see that very little has changed there.
    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      I love that this is all still being done as traditional puppeteering. They could have probably done CG, but the puppets were always part of the charm of sesame street. I grew up watching it, and it's nice to see that very little has changed there.
      Yeah! Though there's a bit too much Elmo on there these days but otherwise they've kept their charm.

Now I'm remembering a videotape we had with various Sesame Street songs we had ages ago:

Memories!

Comment

I also seem to remember Big Bird being a lot poofier than he is now. Might just be my memory being faulty, though.
        Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

That's actually pretty fascinating to see. And yeah, I agree that it was pretty cool that they kept the puppets. They're so much a part of the series that it wouldn't feel right if they were replaced with CGI, and I think the production team decided that as well.
          Arratra's Signature
          Fanfiction

Deviantart

Insatiable Curiosity

Major Leon Stormstrider

Varatyr Scorchtalon

Comment

Originally posted by Arratra View Post
            That's actually pretty fascinating to see. And yeah, I agree that it was pretty cool that they kept the puppets. They're so much a part of the series that it wouldn't feel right if they were replaced with CGI, and I think the production team decided that as well.
            Heh, not to mention the price of switching to CGI. PBS is largely a charity-funded organization, after all.
            Rick Canaan's Signature
            A balanced diet is an ice cream cone in each hand - Rick Canaan

Comment

Working...
            X