This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AI Megathread

Since I've been posting AI articles so often, I'll just make one thread for them.

Get Ready for the Robot Explosion

About 542 million years ago, something weird and profound happened on Earth. Quite abruptly, life went inventively crazy, proliferating from simple, rudimentary single-cell organisms into myriad multicellular forms. Evolution discovered the idea of more sophisticated and specialized cells, and most of the basic body plans we know today. Biologists call it the Cambrian explosion.
    Rusakov's Signature
    I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

Re: AI Megathread

Artificial intelligence to design Myntra’s new fashion line

MUMBAI: After shuttering its website and becoming app-only, Myntra is now preparing to launch products like clothes and accessories which will be designed with the help of data science and artificial intelligence (AI).

The Bangalore-based retailer has developed a smart bot that accumulates fashion-related information from across the online world, which is used as a base to design products. The initiative, started eight months back by a 30-member team, is focusing on crunching mammoth amounts of data in order to understand the consumer demand in real time, a Myntra spokesperson told TOI.
    Rusakov's Signature

Comment

A good idea Rusakov! If it's ok with you, I think I'll go ahead and make this thread Sticky so it stays at the top of the subforum. I imagine it'll end up seeing plenty of use.

Were you wanting it to be just a thread for posting and discussing AI developments, or would you also like this thread to be discussions of social/moral/political implications of AI? Just thinking about ensuring it stays on-topic.

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfDog View Post
        A good idea Rusakov! If it's ok with you, I think I'll go ahead and make this thread Sticky so it stays at the top of the subforum. I imagine it'll end up seeing plenty of use.

Were you wanting it to be just a thread for posting and discussing AI developments, or would you also like this thread to be discussions of social/moral/political implications of AI? Just thinking about ensuring it stays on-topic.
        Sure thing!

And I'd be fine with talk on both developments and the social side as well.
        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

How artificial intelligence is getting even smarter

Artificial intelligence can already do remarkable things – but it could do much more if it could perceive, learn and think like a human. D. Scott Phoenix discusses how Vicarious, one of the World Economic Forum’s 2015 class of Technology Pioneers, is working to make that leap.
          Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Team Designs Robots to Build Things in Messy, Unpredictable Situations

Researchers at Harvard University and SUNY at Buffalo are designing robots to function outside of ideal, predictable environments such as warehouses or factories and instead work in places where there may be unexpected obstructions, and where predictive algorithms can’t be used to plan several thousand steps ahead. The goal for such “builder bots,” which are designed to handle inconsistent and malleable building materials, is to be deployed as disaster relief agents.

Radhika Nagpal, a professor of computer science at Harvard, and Nils Napp, an assistant professor of computer science at SUNY at Buffalo and a former postdoctoral fellow in Nagpal’s lab, have designed two robots: one that deposits expandable, self-hardening foam and another that drags and piles up sandbags.
            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Maxima Demonstrates General-Purpose Artificial Intelligence

Maxima Inc., a Michigan based AI startup, has released a video demonstration of its artificial intelligence software that learns perform tasks, within a variety of unrelated domains, without any modification to the fundamentals of its underlying system.

In the video, there are three unique demos included. However, when it comes to artificial intelligence, Maxima feels that many current demonstrations are missing the point. “There are plenty of AI startups doing very impressive things right now” says Bobby Lafever, Maxima’s founder, “but none of them have ever demonstrated generality. What we’ve created is a singular system that can learn to perform many tasks”.
              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

David Hanson: We are close to building the first sentient robot

I’m sitting in front of one of the leading experts in robotics of our time, and all I can think about are extinction-level movies involving AI (artificial intelligence) machines. Films such as Terminator andAvengers: Age of Ultron immediately spring to mind.

I think about asking Dr. David Hanson, creator of the world’s most lifelike humanoid android to date, whether he had time to catch these movies in the theater. I chicken out.
                Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Who’s the Boss? Hitachi Looks to Promote Artificial Intelligence

Hitachi Ltd. is looking to promote artificial intelligence to management.

The Japanese electronics maker said it has developed a new artificial intelligence program that will enable robots to deliver instructions to employees based on analyses of big data and the workers’ routines.

“Work efficiency improved by 8% in warehouses with the new artificial intelligence program, compared to those without them,” a Hitachi spokeswoman said. “The program can examine an extremely large amount of data to provide the most efficient instruction, which is impossible for human managers to handle.”
                  Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Time for me to dust off this thread.

Inside the Hunt for the 'Master Algorithm' of Artificial Intelligence

For nearly 30 years, Pedro Domingos has been working within artificial intelligence communities, both as a researcher and a developer. In that time, the University of Washington professor has become an expert on all things machine learning. His new book, ​The Master Algorithm, ​traces the beginnings of machine learning, and provides a road-map to where it may be headed in the future. ​We talked to him by phone about what lies ahead for machine learning, how the master algorithm might change everything, and why he thinks the idea of the singularlity is overstated. ​
                    Rusakov's Signature

Comment

How robots, artificial intelligence, and machine learning will affect employment and public policy

Emerging technologies like industrial robots, artificial intelligence, and machine learning are advancing at a rapid pace, but there has been little attention to their impact on employment and public policy. Darrell West addresses this topic in a new paper titled What Happens If Robots Take the Jobs? The Impact of Emerging Technologies on Employment and Public Policy. It examines what happens if robots end up taking jobs from humans and how this will affect public policy.

While emerging technologies can improve the speed, quality, and cost of available goods and services, they may also displace large numbers of workers. This possibility challenges the traditional benefits model of tying health care and retirement savings to jobs. In an economy that employs dramatically fewer workers, we need to think about how to deliver benefits to displaced workers.
                      Rusakov's Signature

Comment

I worry we shall see more Luddite behaviour in the future as a result of the digitalisation of jobs (and also the use of robotics)
                        macrorufus's Signature
                        We're sorry. The wolf you have attempted to contact is not available. Please call again later.

Comment

I know, I know, HufPo. But still...
                          4 Industries Set to See Massive Disruptions From Smarter Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the next frontier in technology as humans are working to tap into the enormous data-processing capability of computers. AI is here to stay as major tech firms spends billions of dollars on the space. Here are four industries that would see massive changes as the applications of artificial intelligence advances across different areas of human endeavor.

Transportation

Humans have recorded massive advancements in the transport industry from the days of the horse and buggy to the early days of Henry Ford. History tells us that Karl Benz invented the automobile in 1885 and that the car crashed into a wall during its first public test. Over the last 130 years, humans have not been able to solve the problems of crashing their cars into walls, trees, other road users, and traffic signs.
                          Rusakov's Signature

Comment

After Years of Unmet Expectations, Artificial Intelligence Finally Mainstream

Artificial intelligence is having an increasingly meaningful impact on society in general, and business in particular, market research by Deloitte LLP has found. It appears that a field of study that has long been seen as holding amazing potential is finally beginning to witness a substantive realization of that potential.

Deloitte’s “Analytics Trends 2015” report, released earlier this year, looked at the blossoming of artificial intelligence and its growing impact on society. Since then, Deloitte has taken a deeper dive into the topic, which afforded me an opportunity to discuss the issue with Deloitte Senior Manager David Schatsky. In an email interview, Schatsky indicated that the expectations we had a decade ago are finally being exceeded.
                            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

What Will Robotic Systems Be Like in 2034?

There are a number of visions of how robots will change the world in the near future coming from Hollywood and other pundits. Images abound of autonomous robots either enabling a utopian society or running amok in hellish doomsday scenarios. The most probable future, however, will lie somewhere in between and be reflected in subtler differences from our current reality. But it is clear that advances in computation, sensing and automation will have significant impact on people’s lives. A scientific understanding of the current limitations and potential of scientific research in this area is necessary for a proper perspective on future possibilities.
                              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Zero to Expert in Eight Hours: These Robots Can Learn For Themselves

A yellow robotic arm pauses over a pile of metal cylinders, snaps a photo, then proceeds to confidently pick pieces out of the jumble. What’s impressive is that just eight hours ago, its bin-picking skills were about zero.

Fanuc Corp. is showing off the first results of its partnership with artificial intelligence startup Preferred Networks Inc. at Tokyo’s International Robot Exhibition this week. The world’s largest maker of automation equipment is using so-called “deep learning” to enable machines that can acquire skills independently.
                                Imagine if an AI became an expert in neurology/machine intelligence in a few hours... the singularity could happen very quickly in that case.
                                Rusakov's Signature

Comment

NEW ‘OPENAI’ ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE GROUP FORMED BY ELON MUSK, PETER THIEL, AND MORE

In the last few years, the world of artificial intelligence has mainly been dominated by large internet companies with huge computing infrastructures like Google and Facebook, or research universities like MIT or Stanford.

Now, there’s another player in town: OpenAI. The non-profit research firm is backed by heavy hitters like co-chairs Elon Musk (of SpaceX and Tesla fame), Y Combinator’s Sam Altman, as well as investor Peter Thiel (who worked with Musk at PayPal). They claim to have garnered a billion dollars in private funding, from people like Thiel and Amazon Web Services.
                                  I dislike Peter Thiel, but this is good of him at least.
                                  Rusakov's Signature

Comment

This is really exciting if you ask me. The nice thing about it is that it's a nonprofit, so advances they be stuck in a proprietary silo.
                                    Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Artificial Intelligence Finally Entered Our Everyday World

ANDREW NG HANDS me a tiny device that wraps around my ear and connects to a smartphone via a small cable. It looks like a throwback—a smartphone earpiece without a Bluetooth connection. But it’s really a glimpse of the future. In a way, this tiny device allows the blind to see.

Ng is the chief scientist at Chinese tech giant Baidu, and this is one of the company’s latest prototypes. It’s called DuLight. The device contains a tiny camera that captures whatever is in front of you—a person’s face, a street sign, a package of food—and sends the images to an app on your smartphone. The app analyzes the images, determines what they depict, and generates an audio description that’s heard through to your earpiece. If you can’t see, you can at least get an idea of what’s in front of you.
                                      Rusakov's Signature

Comment

5 Robot Trends to Watch for in 2016

Will this year mark the first drone delivery, or the first time you encounter a robot at work or in your home? We saw significant advancements in robotics and artificial intelligence in 2015 (see “What Robots and AI Learned in 2015”). Here’s what we’re watching closely in 2016.
                                        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
                                        X