This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few pieces here.

Intel's Loihi roadmap calls for its brain chips to be as 'smart' as a mouse by 2019

Intel said this week that a system based on its Loihi chip planned for 2019 will include the equivalent of 100 billion synapses, which is about the same brain complexity as a common mouse.

Last September, Intel introduced the world to Loihi, a chip designed for what Intel calls probabilistic computing. Intel sees probabilistic computing as an important step on the road to artificial intelligence.

Unlike a Core chip, which uses a sequential pipeline of instructions, Loihi is designed to mimic the way the brain works. The version of the Loihi chip that Intel introduced last year included 130,000 silicon “neurons” connected with 130 million “synapses,” the junctions that in humans connect the neurons within the brain.
    And now... *whistles Twilight Zone theme*

Google’s AI is learning to navigate like humans

The company’s DeepMind artificial intelligence subsidiary has developed an AI that has learned how to navigate like a human being, the company announced in a blog post. Specifically, DeepMind’s AI has developed a system of spacial awareness that mimics human’s and other mammal’s grid cells–specific cells in the brain that allow for vector-based navigation, which allow us to calculate the direction and a distance to a location even if we’ve never traveled that route before. What’s most impressive about the AI’s mimicking of mammalian grid cells is that the AI did it on its own–it wasn’t programmed to mimic them.
    Rusakov's Signature
    I'm a fan of anthro cartoons.

Comment

I also saw that Google was able to call out objects for people with visual impairments. I am particularly interested in this as it's something I've wanted for years. Maybe with the DeepMind navigation, it might eventually be able to help me get places. It's easy to get paranoid about all of this stuff, but we can't forget that it can genuinely help people too.
      Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Artificial intelligence has learned to probe the minds of other computers

Anyone who’s had a frustrating interaction with Siri or Alexa knows that digital assistants just don’t get humans. What they need is what psychologists call theory of mind, an awareness of others’ beliefs and desires. Now, computer scientists have created an artificial intelligence (AI) that can probe the “minds” of other computers and predict their actions, the first step to fluid collaboration among machines—and between machines and people.

“Theory of mind is clearly a crucial ability,” for navigating a world full of other minds says Alison Gopnik, a developmental psychologist at the University of California, Berkeley, who was not involved in the work. By about the age of 4, human children understand that the beliefs of another person may diverge from reality, and that those beliefs can be used to predict the person’s future behavior. Some of today’s computers can label facial expressions such as “happy” or “angry”—a skill associated with theory of mind—but they have little understanding of human emotions or what motivates us.

The new project began as an attempt to get humans to understand computers. Many algorithms used by AI aren’t fully written by programmers, but instead rely on the machine “learning” as it sequentially tackles problems. The resulting computer-generated solutions are often black boxes, with algorithms too complex for human insight to penetrate. So Neil Rabinowitz, a research scientist at DeepMind in London, and colleagues created a theory of mind AI called “ToMnet” and had it observe other AIs to see what it could learn about how they work.
        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

That sound you hear is all the anti-AI pundits screaming. I think this is a really awesome development, but this sort of thing always freaks people out.
          Daryn's Signature

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Taking machine thinking out of the black box | MIT News

Software applications provide people with many kinds of automated decisions, such as identifying what an individual's credit risk is, informing a recruiter of which job candidate to hire, or determining whether someone is a threat to the public. In recent years, news headlines have warned of a future in which machines operate in the background of society, deciding the course of human lives while using untrustworthy logic.

Part of this fear is derived from the obscure way in which many machine learning models operate. Known as black-box models, they are defined as systems in which the journey from input to output is next to impossible for even their developers to comprehend.

"As machine learning becomes ubiquitous and is used for applications with more serious consequences, there's a need for people to understand how it's making predictions so they'll trust it when it's doing more than serving up an advertisement," says Jonathan Su, a member of the technical staff in MIT Lincoln Laboratory's Informatics and Decision Support Group.
            Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Google is hosting a global contest to develop AI that’s beneficial for humanity - The Verge

Some of the biggest hurdles in the field of artificial intelligence are preventing such software from developing the same intrinsic faults and biases as its human creators, and using AI to solve social issues instead of simply automating tasks. Now, Google, one of the world’s leading organizations developing AI software today, is launching a global competition to help spur the development of applications and research that have positive impacts on the field and society at large.

The competition, called the AI Impact Challenge, was announced today at an event called AI for Social Good held at the company’s Sunnyvale, California office, and it’s being overseen and managed by the company’s Google.org charitable arm. Google is positioning it as a way to integrate nonprofits, universities, and other organizations not within the corporate and profit-driven world of Silicon Valley into the future-looking development of AI research and applications. The company says it will award up to $25 million to a number of grantees to “help transform the best ideas into action.” As part of the contest, Google will offer cloud resources for the projects, and it is opening applications starting today. Accepted grantees will be announced at next year’s Google I/O developer conference.
              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Two for today.

Deep learning algorithm detects Alzheimer’s up to six years before doctors

A powerful new deep learning algorithm has been developed that can study PET scan images and effectively detect the onset of Alzheimer's disease up to six years earlier than current diagnostic methods. The research is part of a new wave of work using machine learning technology to identify subtle patterns in complex medical imaging data that human clinicians are unable to pick up.
                Reinforcement Learning with Prediction-Based Rewards

We’ve developed Random Network Distillation (RND), a prediction-based method for encouraging reinforcement learning agents to explore their environments through curiosity, which for the first time exceeds average human performance on Montezuma’s Revenge. RND achieves state-of-the-art performance, periodically finds all 24 rooms and solves the first level without using demonstrations or having access to the underlying state of the game.
                Rusakov's Signature

Comment

U.S. Grocer Kroger Has Begun Making Autonomous Deliveries

Grocery store giant Kroger just announced that its autonomous vehicle delivery service is officially going driverless, thanks to a partnership with self-driving car startup Nuro.

Earlier this year, the supermarket chain announced it will work with Nuro to launch a driverless delivery service in Scottsdale, Arizona. The program used a fleet of Toyota Priuses, equipped with sensors and AI equipment, and staffed by safety drivers.

Now Nuro is confident enough to fulfill orders without the human driver. According to a blog post, the company has been working on perfecting the design of an “unmanned on-road vehicle” called the R1. But Nuro hasn’t removed humans from the equation completely. Nuro employees are still able to take over control over its fleet of R1s remotely.
                  Interesting. And maybe a glimpse into future employment... or rather, lack of it.
                  Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Just heard the news that the Russian "robot" unveiled recently was a man in a suit.
                    macrorufus's Signature
                    We're sorry. The wolf you have attempted to contact is not available. Please call again later.

Comment

Originally posted by macrorufus View Post
                      Just heard the news that the Russian "robot" unveiled recently was a man in a suit.
                      Yeah, I heard that too. I'm guessing they wanted something to answer the Boston Dynamics robots with. Didn't work so well.
                      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Amazon re:Mars conference starts June 4 in Las Vegas

Amazon on Thursday announced an offshoot of the invitation-only MARS conference — which stands for machine learning, automation, robotics and space — that will be open to the public. The new conference, re:Mars, will run from June 4 through 7 in Las Vegas at the Aria Resort.

There's a reason why Amazon may want to bring thinkers in these spaces together. Reports from last year suggested that Amazon is working to build home robots that it hopes to launch as soon as 2019. The company is also heavily invested in artificial intelligence through its Alexa assistant and other products.

MARS is Amazon and Jeff Bezos' conference where billionaires and some of the brightest minds in science gather to discuss similar topics. Last year, Bezos famously took a robotic dog for a walk during the show. The year before, he walked around in a massive robot suit.
                        Rusakov's Signature

Comment

An AI is playing Pictionary to figure out how the world works

It might be a frivolous after-dinner game to you, but Pictionary could perhaps give AI programs a deeper understanding of the world.

AI’s lack of common sense is one of the main obstacles to the development of chatbots and voice assistants that are genuinely useful. What’s more, while AI programs can trounce the best human players of many games, including chess, Go, and (more recently) StarCraft, mastering them offers only a narrow measure of artificial intelligence. Learning to play chess, for instance, does nothing to help a computer play Sudoku.

Researchers at the Allen Institute for AI (Ai2) believe that Pictionary could push machine intelligence beyond its current limits. To that end, they have devised an online version of the game that pairs a human player with an AI program.
                          If the AI ever spontaneously says "This is fun!" then it's probably working.
                          Rusakov's Signature

Comment

LOL, yeah! All of this is still narrow AI, though. I think the hollywoodvision of general AI is still a really long time away. Who knows, this might be a step towards that.
                            Daryn's Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
                              LOL, yeah! All of this is still narrow AI, though. I think the hollywoodvision of general AI is still a really long time away.
                              Yeah, I was just making a joke.
                              Rusakov's Signature

Comment

After just 20 hours of training, Wayve's fast-learning AI car is already driving itself on unfamiliar roads

Forget large arrays of sensors and radars. Forget hard-coded road rules. British startup Wayve taught a car to teach itself to drive, and using only some cameras, a sat-nav and 20 hours' worth of experience, it's already driving itself short distances on unfamiliar UK roads.

When these guys first put their control hardware, camera, computers and AI learning software into a Renault Twizy-based StreetDrone back in July last year, the result was a machine that went from literally not knowing what the pedals and steering wheel did, to being able to follow a lane more or less indefinitely, in the space of just 20 minutes.
                                Rusakov's Signature

Comment

I'd love to see how it'll handle the snowstorm that's happening right now. It's really nice progress, though..
                                  Daryn's Signature

Comment

A couple of stories, also links only b/c of burnout.

How Wearable AI Will Amplify Human Intelligence

This next one is a preview only, but still might interest some of you.

Link
                                    Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Wearable intelligence is a fascinating topic. Right now we've got Siri or Google assistant, but I don't think this is the peak yet. We want Jarvis. An AI that's personal, knows us, and gives us the info w need when we need it. There's no shortage of work being done in this field, but I wonder if the big companies like Goog,e Apple, or Amazon are the ones that get there first? I'm not so sure about that. This is one area that I think has room for an upstart to think outside the box.
                                      Daryn's Signature

Comment

Working...
                                      X