Exciting nanotech news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech Exciting nanotech news

Remote-controlled DNA nanorobots could lead to the first nanorobotic production factory

By powering a self-assembling DNA nanorobotic arm with electric fields, German scientists have achieved precise nanoscale movement that is at least five orders of magnitude (hundreds of thousands times) faster than previously reported DNA-driven robotic systems, they suggest today (Jan. 19) in the journal Science.

DNA origami has emerged as a powerful tool to build precise structures. But now, “Kopperger et al. make an impressive stride in this direction by creating a dynamic DNA origami structure that they can directly control from the macroscale with easily tunable electric fields—similar to a remote-controlled robot,” notes Björn Högberg of Karolinska Institutet in a related Perspective in Science, (p. 279).

The new biohybrid nanorobotic systems could even act as a molecular mechanical memory (a sort of nanoscale version of the Babbage Analytical Engine), he notes. “With the capability to form long filaments with multiple DNA robot arms, the systems could also serve as a platform for new inventions in digital memory, nanoscale cargo transfer, and 3D printing of molecules.”
    Wow!
    Rusakov's Signature
    This fight will be your death!

I wonder if it's something like this that will lead to Von-Neumann probes becoming a reality. If so, hopefully they don't turn all matter in the universe into paperclips.
    Daryn's Signature

Commander Daryn SkyStrike
    Ascenseon - The Avian Planet

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Daryn View Post
      I wonder if it's something like this that will lead to Von-Neumann probes becoming a reality. If so, hopefully they don't turn all matter in the universe into paperclips.
      That sounds similar to the grey goo scenario. Drexler (who had popularized it) later recanted and said the thing we should worry about is maliciously or accidentally programming them as such. It's VERY unlikely that they'll spontaneously evolve into such.
      Rusakov's Signature

Comment

There's a nice article on what I'm talking about here:

Paperclip maximizer - Lesswrongwiki

And you can play a game about it too.

Link

I'm not so much worried abouit, but it is interesting to think on it.
        Daryn's Signature

Commander Daryn SkyStrike
        Ascenseon - The Avian Planet

“Just when you think humanity has found the limits of stupid, they go and ratchet up the standard by another notch.” - Bob

Comment

Ew, lesswrong. But I know what you mean.
          Rusakov's Signature

Comment

Working...
          X